Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
76z28

Drives: 1976 camaro
challenger price increase

yea.... we all knew it but those are huge increases
putting the challenger into the gt500 territory with the 6.4...and of course it wont even touch the gt500 the r/t is 2k more than the camaro and mustang
camaro and mustang are still champs.... for price per horsepower wars

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/05/2...ice-increases/
76z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
USAFJeeper
Bringing mullets back

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT/RS
Wow, Dodge is really shooting themselves in the foot. The car has been overpriced since day one and they make it worse?

Next - Tinting
USAFJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:21 PM   #3
Char1ieone
Fear the Red Bow Tie

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Wow, such a shame. It would be a better selling car if it was just a tad bit cheaper.
Char1ieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
Very poor on Dodge's part. Guess they are more focused on how to run a company into the ground vs. making revenue/profit. Terrible, terrible, terrible......
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I think they're trying to make the car a niche market car like the iPhone is... you make it overpriced enough, people will buy it just to say they have one because it looks cool. They are adding a lot of special editions and colors from what I hear...

Those cars will have a chance @ being collectible. The Camaro SS that is selling like hot cakes? well not so much, but I don't care I want the thing to DRIVE not to keep in a garage...
Old 07-06-2010, 12:14 AM   #6
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
They may have added previous options as standard equipment. Not trying to defend their actions just sayin'. At those price jumps I would expect things like nav and bluetooth to be in that standard equipment price increase.
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:37 AM   #7
McBeevee
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: See sig....
This is the main reason my wife and I own our SS right now. We were originally dead set on the Challenger and really didn't consider the Camaro in the beginning. Once we started looking at options and cost, the Challenger was out. They charge $995 for the manual transmission! I couldn't believe it when I started looking at how much more car you get for the money, when you buy a Camaro. It's really a shame Chrysler just doesn't get it.

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 1058whp/898wtq
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
McBeevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:58 AM   #8
Wilburbeest
Think With Your Dipstick!

Drives: 1997 Camaro Z28
And the thing is it will probably still sell. Dodge doesn't seem to be targeting your garden variety grease monkey/hotrodder much with thier current lineup, but rather the yuppies/doctors/lawyers/retirees. Or in other words people with more money than they know what to do with. Really sort of not a bad idea in some ways. I mean come on, a 4 door charger that only comes in an auto and a 4100+ lb Challenger (granted I still love that car despite that its a total fatass)? Not to mention I can't think of a car in their line that's not huge and heavy besides econo models. They seem to be going for a more refined "gentleman's muscle car image." Kinda what I see when I very occasionally see them at the track supports that too. I've never seen anybody in one who could drive for shit! At least they were out there doin it though. That in itself deserves some credit.

1997 Camaro Z28 (LT1/T56): K&N CAI | Kooks 1 3/4" LTs | 3" Custom Duals | UMI LCAs w/ relocation brackets | UMI adj. panhard bar | UMI adj. torque arm | Koni SA shocks | Strano Springs | Ram Powergrip clutch | Pro 5.0 shifter | skip shift eliminator kit | WS6 Store rotors | Hawk HPS pads
Wilburbeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 07:49 AM   #9
PostaL

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
Once we started looking at options and cost, the Challenger was out. They charge $995 for the manual transmission! I couldn't believe it.......
Wow, that's like totally backwards .
PostaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:04 AM   #10
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
they make the worst v6 and the worst v8 in 2010 and years before... now they are making another mistake.... every body knows the str 8 is over priced... now if it had a supercharger it would be a different story.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:25 AM   #11
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
When I see the challenger's front end. i fall in love. I really hate the rear tail light with the dumb reverse light in the middle though. I wish they had made the concept tail light and put reverse lights in the bumper. It would've looked so much better. If they had done that and made a competitive engine in their R/T model, I'd have considered paying $2000 more. But the price, lacking performance and the rear of the car that I can't get over, I just couldn't consider one seriously. My dream car still is a 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda. But my heart today still lies with the Camaro. It is a beautiful machine! My only gripe is the lack of colors that I really love. I know that's wholly subjective, but I only chose white because there were no other colors that I wanted to drive in and you can always add color to a white car
Old 07-06-2010, 08:49 AM   #12
1bad65
Banned

Drives: 2007 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilburbeest View Post
Dodge doesn't seem to be targeting your garden variety grease monkey/hotrodder much with thier current lineup, but rather the yuppies/doctors/lawyers/retirees.
Not from my experience. Most of the guys I see in them (especially in the SRTs) are older, but they are not the types you describe. Most wear Mopar/Dodge/Nascar hats and/or shirts and have more of a 'blue collar' look to them.

Maybe it is the higher prices, but I don't see alot of younger guys in the Challengers though.
1bad65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 AM   #13
black1lt
Step Child Camaro

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Red Jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cab2g View Post
When I see the challenger's front end. i fall in love. I really hate the rear tail light with the dumb reverse light in the middle though. I wish they had made the concept tail light and put reverse lights in the bumper. It would've looked so much better. If they had done that and made a competitive engine in their R/T model, I'd have considered paying $2000 more. But the price, lacking performance and the rear of the car that I can't get over, I just couldn't consider one seriously. My dream car still is a 1970 Plymouth 'Cuda. But my heart today still lies with the Camaro. It is a beautiful machine! My only gripe is the lack of colors that I really love. I know that's wholly subjective, but I only chose white because there were no other colors that I wanted to drive in and you can always add color to a white car

I wanted a Challenger a first as well but the pricing scared me away - and that was for a 6 cylinder. I've been a Mopar guy my whole life and this is my first ever GM product. The GM dealer rolled out the red carpet to sell me my car. the Dodge dealer did everything in their power to make sure I wouldn't buy a Challenger from them. I bought 9 brand new Chrysler products between two local dealers over the past 22 years and they wouldn't work with me on the price of a Challenger. They sent me packing and I won't be back. Unfortunately for them, I love my first ever GM product after driving it fro a little over a year now. Anyway, did you say 1970 'Cuda? Your speaking my language. My current Mopar is and all original, numbers matching 440 + 6. It has a factory Shaker hood (N96) and is a California car, so it has very little rust. It is currently all apart and being restored. Here is a photo the day after I bought it before I took it all apart. Rob
Attached Images

black1lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:00 AM   #14
Grandeos
Automotive Designer

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS (LS3)
Among the 3 modern muscle car, the Challenger consistently falls in 3rd place. It is the heaviest, slowest, and most over-priced of the whole bunch. They only sell about 2k a month, compared to 7k-9k a month for Chevy and Ford. So raising the price even more indeed is a foolish decision. Even if they added more content, its not gonna help sell these cars. Just another bad decision in a series of many coming from the Pentastar. I say just cut your losses and kill the program already. That might generate more interest for the next one, as opposed to just giving critics more ammunition to fire at Chrysler management. They are just digging themselves into a bigger ditch. I just laugh at the many Challengers just sitting at the Dodge dealerships (and the closed dealerships that used to be filled with them), as I drive past in my bad-ass CAMARO!!!!