Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-31-2009, 04:22 PM   #57
Hooy
Will Drive For Food

Drives: Acura TL
EDIT: SORRY, internet problems. Reposted an old reply.
Hooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:24 PM   #58
andyrew

Drives: Audi A4 STG3, Porsche 914 v8
Dont by a new car.

Tell your parents (if they are getting you a new car) that you want them to put the money into the bank that they would spend on the car, then buy yourself like say a 10 year old camaro. Heck buy the SS if you want. But keep it stock, spend 2 years driving that car around, enjoy it and spend the money that your parents saved on a 2010 or 2011 SS with all the fixins. YOu can buy it with a couple thousand on the clock and spend the same amount of money. This way your initial insurance will be lower, and you will learn on what we can consider a throw away car...

Dont buy new. Unless this is really going to be your dads car...
andyrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:07 PM   #59
Wassert

Drives: 2006 Mazda 6 3.0L v6
zenzi= i drive a mazda 6 now. very reliable car, never had any problems. Its got some pep in its step and it handles like a dream.

i would reccomend this car for you only cause this was my first car (when i was 17) and i still love driving it today. Insurance for liability only is 1200 for 6 months (and im 20). But you can find alot cheaper.

As far as getting the SS i agree with everyone else here, if i would have gotten 400+ horses for my first car, i can assure you i would be dead right now. Having this M6 made me respect cars and be responsible( most of the time) and not to do stupid things. Of course i do the occasional race ( and yes i burn the stangs) but this Mazda 6 i think truly saved my life and i think it will do the same for you
Old 03-31-2009, 05:31 PM   #60
Zenzi
Black on Black SS

Drives: no car
The Mazda 6 can burn stangs?!
Zenzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:36 PM   #61
Wassert

Drives: 2006 Mazda 6 3.0L v6
when in the right hands......yes
Old 03-31-2009, 05:47 PM   #62
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Dude...get what you want or what your parents can easily afford and don't mind buying for you, but I do agree that you might not want to jump into a 400+ hp REAR WHEEL DRIVE car at 16.

I was driving a Civic for 3 years before my Firebird (at age 19) and that was only 245 hp. I spun that car more than a few times and nearly got myself killed. I'm 30 now and still not sure how responsible I will be with my 2SS...that much power is just addicting and irresistable at your age.

If you can swing it I say get the 2LT...it's still plenty fast and will definitely get the ladies. Plus you'll love that car more than anything else in the price range IMO. Might not get hated on as much too...sucks that you have to factor that in, but it's reality...I remember high school very well.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:48 PM   #63
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
so back to your other question about your actual license.. you need to have your permit for a MINIMUM of 6 months and you can get it at any time after you turn 15 or before you turn 18.. if you get your permit on the day you turn 15 or anytime before you turn 15 and a half you must wait until you turn 16 to get your license.. so basically wait until you are fifteen and a half.. then get your permit and on your 16th birthday go get your license.
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:58 PM   #64
terndude

Drives: '88FieroGT'04ColoradoZ71'10CamaroLS
Dude, probably best to get a beater for your first car. Mine was an '85 Topaz.

It was in 5 accidents, 1/2 buried in a desert wash, totally door-dinged by inconsiderate people in the high school parking lot, and had gawd-knows-how-many drinks and fries dumped inside of it. I probably could have harvested a few gallons of bio-diesel from the seats alone!

Then came time for my dream car.... the '64 Impala SS Convertible with red leather interior and under 20K miles at the local classic car dealer...back when a straight, clean, matching#s one only cost $10k. I had the money, but my mom said no! Totally not fair since she had a new '67 Cougar in college. So I ended up with a nice '91 Grand Prix GT Coupe. After the second accident in that GP, I was pretty glad I hadn't trashed a nice old Impala!!

If you get a Camaro, go for the V6. As soon as I could, I started keeping two cars on hand...a nice one for occasional fun, and a crappy one to put all the miles on!
terndude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:01 PM   #65
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
I changed my tone.

Instead of the good advice to buy used, build up your credit and experiance.

Just every kid that comes along we just set them up with one of the dealers to buy loaded car then we Vulture them off when the repo man comes. The dealers call the old farts and we vulture down with pre approved credit and enjoy your car when the kids lifes are ruined for 8 years.

Insert Evil Laugh.. Operation U buy my car 4 me kid.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #66
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
If you really really really really really want a Camaro, go with an LS or LT.

If you're only 16, a brand new Camaro may not be the best thing for you. I'm 17 and holding off on a Camaro for a few years simply because A) There's no way my parents would let me drive something that fast, B) Insurance would be insane, and C) I don't have the money for a new car right now. I'm getting our '03 GMC Envoy when I go to college.

If you want a new car, look at a Cobalt. Best in class fuel economy, 37 MPG.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:15 PM   #67
attymf

Drives: 2017 SS
Get the SS

my first car ever was a 1981 Z28 manual four speed (That was in 1988). It was fast for the first 6 months. After that I was doing all sorts of mods.

18 months later I was dropping in a GM 350 cubic inch crate motor with cam, headers, intake, carb, gears....etc.

After that it was a 1976 big block trans am with of course all the mods.

Anyone who says its to much horsepower is lying.

I never heard a guy say his p'nis is too big. Have you?
attymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:28 PM   #68
Hooy
Will Drive For Food

Drives: Acura TL
Quote:
Originally Posted by attymf View Post
my first car ever was a 1981 Z28 manual four speed (That was in 1988). It was fast for the first 6 months. After that I was doing all sorts of mods.

18 months later I was dropping in a GM 350 cubic inch crate motor with cam, headers, intake, carb, gears....etc.

After that it was a 1976 big block trans am with of course all the mods.

Anyone who says its to much horsepower is lying.

I never heard a guy say his p'nis is too big. Have you?
Would you trust most 16 year olds with that much power in their first cars?
Hooy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:30 PM   #69
GT5

Drives: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenzi View Post
I fell in love with this car as soon as i first saw the pictures. I always wanted a 350z (now 370z). But this car has made it to my #1 on my list. I am 15, i kinda know how to drive. But i was still confused about getting a drivers licencse. When you are 16 can you just pass the test and get your license?or do you still need to have a permit for atleast 6 months? My birthday is in August, and and in 4 months would be Christmas, which i could get my car in the first months of '10. I am planning on getting a Black 1SS+ RS package, Six-Speed Auto Trans, Power Sunroof, Boston Speakers (245watt), Body color painted Engine color. What Color combination (stripes) would you recommend me besides the all black? I really hope that 20 years from now i still have a Camaro. Can't wait!
dam I am 19 and I thought I was too young to get this car. (hopefully I will have enough money to purchase one in a year or two)
GT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 06:32 PM   #70
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
wow, i didnt get so much as a new bike when i was younger lol, it's nice to know mommy loves you... i bought my first car when i was 19 it was a 93 civic for 1500... i would reccomend some kind of beater, a high horsepower car at your age is downright scary, your going to want to have "fun" and that fun can lead to trouble and even injury.... hope your parents were playing an april fools joke on you
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote