Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-24-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
NerdWerx

Drives: '13 ZL1
Conversation w/ Engineer who developed ZL1 Steering

I just got home from the local car show here in Southwest Michigan. It's at Lane Automotive, which if you haven't heard of is a big distributor like Summit Racing. Anyway, I had my ZL1 there and shortly before I was getting ready to leave a guy named Kirby came up and started chatting with me. Apparently he was the engineer who designed the steering system in the ZL1. He had a lot of neat information about testing the car and some features that I, personally didn't know about the steering system in the ZL1. I guess that according to each driving mode the PTM is in the steering is also completely changed. For full-on racing the steering has very little assist compared to touring mode. It makes sense but I never really read anywhere where the steering was actually tuned differently for the different PTM modes.

I asked him what he's working on now and, of course, he couldn't say. So I asked him when I would get to see what he's working on now and he said "2016". So, speculation says it *COULD* be a new Camaro. Heck, if he worked on the steering system for the ZL1, what's the chances he'd work on the 6th Gen?

Anyway, Kirby, if you're reading this I really appreciate the conversation and thank you a ton for the info. I really hope anything I said here doesn't get you busted or anything. These are, after all, just my opinions.

-NerdWerx
NerdWerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #2
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Not necessarily a new Camaro. Might be working on improvements on PTM which could show up then.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #3
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Did you ask him why our power steering goes out sometimes?
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #4
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Is there any written info on the steering changes in the various PTM modes? Curious about the changes from mode to mode. I honestly haven't been able to feel a big change mode to mode when I'm driving..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #5
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
Is there any written info on the steering changes in the various PTM modes? Curious about the changes from mode to mode. I honestly haven't been able to feel a big change mode to mode when I'm driving..

The big change in steering wheel feeling is when the "nannies" are off completely. The wheel becomes a bit more responsive, quicker if you will. Be careful if you have never driven the car with traction control and stability control switched off.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
ZEDL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black, 2015 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
One in the series of introductory videos for ZL1 owners that GM produced for us does touch upon this, but without a lot of detail, as I recall.
ZEDL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #7
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1-V View Post
The big change in steering wheel feeling is when the "nannies" are off completely. The wheel becomes a bit more responsive, quicker if you will. Be careful if you have never driven the car with traction control and stability control switched off.
I have driven in all modes but #5.. Will have to check that out and see what the steering feels like..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #8
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
I want the heavier PTM 5 steering in PTM 3. Can tuners make this happen?
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote