Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
carpleror

Drives: Nissan 350Z
Camaro handling compared to other performance cars?

Ok, so I've been searching through this forum for a while now and decided to join so I could make a thread for a topic I haven't seen before; how the Camaro actually handles compared to other performance cars. I see a lot of discussion about HP and such (mainly compared to the mustang), but how does it actually drive; suspension, steering wheel stiffness, etc.? I'm looking into getting a Camaro pretty soon and the reason I ask is because I'm currently driving a 2005 Nissan 350Z and I LOVE the way it drives. The car hugs the road, and the steering wheel is VERY stiff. And, of course, it's got a lot power. So I'm curious as to how the Z would compare to an LS Camaro (which is what I'm looking into). I know the Camaro has about 50 more HP than the Z, but it's also like 600 lbs heavier, so I'm sure that translates into a decrease in performance right there. I'm expecting lower performance with this switch (which I'm ok with because I love the Camaro), I just want an idea of how big a difference there is in the performance of the two cars. I know the only way to really tell would be to actually drive a Camaro, but until then I figured this would be a good start. Thanks guys!
carpleror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Well i may be partial but my 1LE kicks @ss its like one of the best handling cars on the road.Have you seen any of the videos i posted from Laguna seca?
cornerspeed92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpleror View Post
Ok, so I've been searching through this forum for a while now and decided to join so I could make a thread for a topic I haven't seen before; how the Camaro actually handles compared to other performance cars. I see a lot of discussion about HP and such (mainly compared to the mustang), but how does it actually drive; suspension, steering wheel stiffness, etc.? I'm looking into getting a Camaro pretty soon and the reason I ask is because I'm currently driving a 2005 Nissan 350Z and I LOVE the way it drives. The car hugs the road, and the steering wheel is VERY stiff. And, of course, it's got a lot power. So I'm curious as to how the Z would compare to an LS Camaro (which is what I'm looking into). I know the Camaro has about 50 more HP than the Z, but it's also like 600 lbs heavier, so I'm sure that translates into a decrease in performance right there. I'm expecting lower performance with this switch (which I'm ok with because I love the Camaro), I just want an idea of how big a difference there is in the performance of the two cars. I know the only way to really tell would be to actually drive a Camaro, but until then I figured this would be a good start. Thanks guys!
You will not be impressed with the V6 Camaro's handling compared to the Nissan. As an owner of a 350Z those things are like go-karts they do whatever you want no matter what. The Camaro handles like a freaking boat unless you get the 1LE or ZL1 (Z/28 isn't out yet). The V6 might have similar lap times to your 350Z (though I seriously doubt it) but around corners it will not feel as flat or well maintained I can guarantee it.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
if you think the z handles well and has "a lot of power" then the camaro wont disappoint. my wifes accord is quicker and handles better than a z......

why a v6 tho? ss1le is a phenominal car for the price
Old 04-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpleror View Post
I don't think it'll be as much of a drop in performance as you might think. The LS is very nimble, but might not be as stiff as your 350z. If you feel like it - that's EASILY fixed with some inexpensive aftermarket parts like springs and sway bars.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Best thing to do would be to go to a dealership and take an LS for a test drive.

Personally, I think an LS vs 350z will probably disappoint you. However, that's just my opinion. You may feel it is comparable...then again maybe not. This is why the best thing would be to test drive one and make the decision for yourself.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
Get a 1le
Old 04-02-2013, 02:34 PM   #8
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Tracks or Roads ?

I can say that the independent rear end helps a ton , on real life roads.Especially in a bumpy fast turn.
A big jump from previous generation Camaros.

On the track, it is super smooth, and can make a silly amateur look very good.
amz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
plus1zero
Don't tread on me

Drives: 23 Sierra X31, Past 2017 Fifty 2SS
One of my coworkers drives a z vert, 2004 model. He had a few mods done, showing me how it felt and how much quicker he thought it was.

Honestly, didn't feel much if any faster than mine.
plus1zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
CamaroTom

Drives: 1/70 2013 BRM 2SS RS 1LE NPP NAV
For sure look at the 1LE. You will not be happy going from a 350Z to a base camaro.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
Brandonmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerspeed92 View Post
Well i may be partial but my 1LE kicks @ss its like one of the best handling cars on the road.Have you seen any of the videos i posted from Laguna seca?
minor jack- Something i wonder alot, how do our cars deal real world against the other performance cars out there handling wise? basically does the 1LE handle great for a camaro, or great in general..?
Old 04-02-2013, 03:28 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonmos View Post
minor jack- Something i wonder alot, how do our cars deal real world against the other performance cars out there handling wise? basically does the 1LE handle great for a camaro, or great in general..?
Great in general.

Take a look at the sort of company the 1LE is in when setting lap times around VIR:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10

And it's said (for what it's worth)...the Z/28 is three seconds faster than the ZL1.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
Brandonmos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Great in general.

Take a look at the sort of company the 1LE is in when setting lap times around VIR:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...o-2013-page-10

And it's said (for what it's worth)...the Z/28 is three seconds faster than the ZL1.
I had no idea....
Old 04-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Where have you been the last 6 months? You even have one...

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2ls, 350z, camaro ls, handling, performance