Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 PM   #1
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
LS9 is first in a series of SuperCharged Engines!!!!

While reading the July edition of Hot Rod magazine there is story on the development of the LS9. It is pretty revealing how engine development takes place on a computer before it is ever built. I was not able to finish the article, but a certain graphic callout that caught my attention. It essentially said "The LS9 is the the first in a series of supercharged engines to come" Then there was text eluding to the version used for the CTS-V and also a mention of a "rumor about a sc version for the Camaro". Anyway the exciting part to me was the first quote about the LS9 being the first in a "SERIES" of supercharged motors.

Ron
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Nice...

I'll have to try and find it tomorrow.

Thanks!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:45 PM   #3
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
I've heard there is supposed to be a truck motor based on the LSA for the HDs. But considering how truck/SUV sales are tanking, who knows if it will see the light of day. The LS8 is supposed to be a detuned version of the LS9 (Camaro app possibly?). Someone please post up any others in that article, its all music to my ears!
Old 07-30-2008, 11:51 PM   #4
Captainbob

Drives: 69 Z28, 71 vette,01 ZO6,GT500
Lets hope GM quits messing around!!
Hoping GM will do the right thing. Super charge the new SS.. So it will compete with the big dogs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnevMoEut_E vs. ZO6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2l25Q5AHc4 10.97 run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vML-dKHCcLg dyno vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLtQEdfN-CA hole shot
Captainbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 12:20 AM   #5
Captainbob

Drives: 69 Z28, 71 vette,01 ZO6,GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Apocalypse View Post
I've heard there is supposed to be a truck motor based on the LSA for the HDs. But considering how truck/SUV sales are tanking, who knows if it will see the light of day. The LS8 is supposed to be a detuned version of the LS9 (Camaro app possibly?). Someone please post up any others in that article, its all music to my ears!
+1
Hoping GM will do the right thing. Super charge the new SS.. So it will compete with the big dogs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnevMoEut_E vs. ZO6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2l25Q5AHc4 10.97 run
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vML-dKHCcLg dyno vid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLtQEdfN-CA hole shot
Captainbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:47 AM   #6
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainbob View Post
+1
+2
Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 AM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It sounds like that article is a reitteration of what was posted on LLN (among other sources) some time ago regarding something like four SC'd 6.2Ls, with the LS9 on top and the LS8 second to the bottom. I guess there was another 6.2L that was for trucks, as was mentioned above, without in intercoler, unlike the top three 6.2s. I don't see GM is going to continue these engine for trucks, at least at 6.2Ls in displacement. I forsee them going smaller, and looking toward FI, like Ford seems to be doing. Don't get me wrong, I would hope for something bigger, but they gotta' make a buck on their trucks, or they're in bigger trouble. I'm just hoping for an LSA in this car because it just seems to make more sense, and I can't see why GM would try to put an LS8 in a Z06; 50+ horsepower less than the CTS-V.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 09:47 AM   #8
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The more I think about it the more I think that the Camaro will get a detuned LS9 vs an LSA if the cost can be kept down which I think it can. The LS9 can handle more power without major internal upgrades. I can't see too many people wanting to build more power out of their Caddy, but a Camaro?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:18 AM   #9
GTAHVIT
Blessed

^ Don't get me wrong. I'd love the forged bottom end of the LS9. But I think for the average camaro owner, the LSA or LS8 will be more than adequate when it comes to handling the power added through mods....

How I justify this:

If you have more money then dirt and you just have to have the baddest Camaro out there, then you'll spend the money to make the LSA/8 as bad as the LS9 anyway.

But I don't think most of us fit into that category. So we'd probably rather have the less expensive power plant, which is more than capable of producing Stock LS9 numbers by spending much less. Sure you're giving up some reliability with out the strength of the LS9 bottom end. But unless you are trying to get 700rwhp you won't need the forged components.

Just my thoughts.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:32 PM   #10
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Do we know that the LS8 wont have a forged bottom end? I really havent heard anything about it, other than its supposed to be a "detuned" LS9. Whatever that means.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:49 PM   #11
GTAHVIT
Blessed

^I'll try and find the article. Basically it said the LS8 would be the lowest HP of the three. So, my guess is it will not be forged.

If I can find that article I'll post it here.
Old 07-31-2008, 02:53 PM   #12
D-Unit

Drives: Camaro SS, Acura RSX
LS8 will have 515hp
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:02 PM   #13
GTAHVIT
Blessed

FOUND IT!

Here ya'all go.

It's an older article, But this is the most detailed information I can find on the LS8. The LST is also mentioned here. Officially, the only two motors GM has committed to are the LS9 and LSA. The rest is speculation.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/a-detail...tor-plans.html

Quote:
With so much incorrect information out there about GM’s future LS motors, we though it would be a good time to query our sources and get the real deal. From the Cadillac CTS-V to the Corvette ZR1, we take a look at the LSA, LS7, LS8, LST, and LS9.

LS7

This is, of course, the current 7.0-liter, naturally aspirated motor in the Z06. It’s handbuilt at GM’s Wixom performance center and is very expensive to make. Too expensive with the LS9 motor coming. While there will be several months where the LS7 and LS9 will be built at Wixom, the LS7 will eventually die, probably sometime between late-2009 or mid-2010.

Several publications have repeatedly insisted the new CTS-V will be powered by the LS7, but this is completely false. GM cannot spend engineering dollars on a CTS-V to start with the LS7, then 12 to 18 months later, switch motors after the LS7 is discontinued. Rather, the super Caddy will feature an all-new powerplant.

LSA

The LSA will find its way under the hood of the 2009 Cadillac CTS-V. The LSA is a 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold.

Preliminary specs have it over 500 horsepower with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions. The CTS-V will start production in September of 2008 with this motor. Look for around 6000 to 8000 units annually.

Original plans also had the LSA going into an Escalade V-series truck. However justifying the development cost — not to mention CAFE considerations — might put possibility of such a truck in jeporady. At present, it is unclear whether the Escalade-V a truck is still part of the plan.

LS8

This is another 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It also features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. This will be the motor going into the top-end Zeta platform cars. The most premium Camaro, probably called Z28, will get this motor.

That said, original plans had this motor going into a Denali SUV or truck, however, those plans now seem to be canceled. Again, this maybe a result of CAFE.

Some of Holden’s vehicles may also get this motor eventually. Initial specs have this motor at 475 to 500 horsepower with a choice of manual or automatic transmissions.

When the LS7 dies, the Z06 will get this motor. Possibly, slightly uptuned from the version the Zeta cars would get. This motor will start production in first or second quarter of 2010.

LST

Yet another 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger. It also features an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. This motor may or may not still be in GM’s plans. The original plan was to put it in GM’s Heavy Duty trucks.

Delivering in excess of 450 pound-feet of torque, it was set to start in the middle of 2008. However, it now seems this motor may no longer be part of the plan. GM may have decided its diesel offerings were sufficient. It’s also possible GM had a hard time justifying the cost of development. Of course, CAFE might have also played a role.

LS9

This is the 6.2-liter, smallblock V8 with a supercharger going into the ZR-1 Corvette. Like all the others, it has an intercooler integrated into the intake manifold. Original specs had this motor at 600 horsepower and 550 to 560 pound-feet of torque. It now seems the horsepower rating may have jumped to as much as 650.

If that’s true, it would probably be safe to estimate a similar jump in torque to around 600 ft lbs. Sources have stated the LS9 can make 700hp on a test stand. Obviously though, that is without a car attached to the motor. Don’t look for any production hp number starting with “seven.”

It now appears an auto/paddle shift may also be an option on the ZR-1. This motor will be handbuilt at GM’s Wixom performance center. They will only make 1500 to 2000 units a year. Production of the ZR-1 starts in July of 2008.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #14
kuulkatdadieo
Stang Killer

Drives: 1989 Pontaic Trans Am GTA
I heard that they were supposed to get the supercharged engine that is in the Cadillac CTS-V.