Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-02-2010, 02:29 AM   #1
El-Diablo

Drives: CTS-V
How many of you are driving your baby in the winter weather?

I know this doesn't apply to everyone, since some live in better climates. But I'm wondering how many of you are daily driving or just are willing to drive in any weather vs the cautious selective drivers or even some who might do winter storage. Personally I'm selective. I will not drive mine within a couple weeks after snow fall because of the cinders that stick around, and never in the snow. I've driven about 15 miles since Thanksgiving, mostly testing out new changes I've made. I have 315 Nitto DRs on the back and they throw the cinders like crazy and wouldn't grip in the snow. I'm ok with rain though. What about you?
El-Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 03:36 AM   #2
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Hey dude, well......my 1SS is a daily driver, I wouldn't have it any other way. As far as how it drives in 20 degree weather? GREAT!! I actually can't believe it, it astounds me to some extents. I hear alot of people complaining about they're Pzeros traction is winter weather and rain, but let me tell you, my traction is GREAT in rain. It's been tested, these things grip, or else I'd be dead right now. I've had it raining hard one night and crazy as I am, you know I had to try it, I did 90 in this car in hard rain, and this thing grips beautifully; it didn't lose traction once. Just don't floor it; I'm not that crazy.

I've hit turns going 75 to 80 in the hard rain and it didn't budge. Stood firm. On a straight shot highway, or interstate, in rain, you can easily get up to 90mph without any traction issues; and I live in New Orleans, our roads are HORRIBLE. So if I can do it out here, where our government officials pocket all of out tax money instead of spending it on community improvement, if you live anywhere but here, I know you'll have better roads and should have no problem with traction. And my tires aren't all season either. I have 20 inch painted aluminum summer tires? lol. I'm not sure if they're summer tires, but they're the stock pzeros that come with the SS despite whatever wheel you opt for. Down here in New Orleans we've had heavy rain, cold temperatures, down into the 20's and a tad-bit under, and I've consistently did 90mph without a single traction issue, in rain, and cold weather.

Just my 2 cents based off of personal experience. The only time I've really lost traction in my SS is when I turn traction control OFF then floored it in 20 degrees of weather from a stand still. lol. It caused me to burn out in an empty parking lot, quite fun, but that's the only time I've lost traction. This thing takes pot holes like a brute! Great car.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
papabearcamaro

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 Z71
Mine will be stored from about October through April. It will come out when we get the spring showers that wash away all the salt on the roads. I have no problem storing cars over the winter and not enjoying them. I just can't stand the thought of all that salt getting in every nook and cranny. I know,I know,everyone says wash it good but you can't get it all.
SOLD(Traded for 2012 Silverado Z71 4x4 and 2012 Sonic Hatch.)...2010 Camaro 1SS/RS/LS3,yellow with House of Kolor Tangerine Pearl rally stripes,manual trans.Hurst short throw shifter,4 pack rally gauges,Roto-Fab air intake,Kooks long tube headers with high-flow cats,Borla S-Type catback exhaust,Comp Cam,PRC ported heads,Maggie with 3.6 pulley and 1:1 cog drive,secondary fuel system with 65lb injectors,ADM digital A/F and Boost gauge,Pfadt trailing arms and subframe bushings.614.25rwhp/566.82rwtq on 8# of boost.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 EX.Cab 4X4 Z71.
papabearcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:45 AM   #4
HDDAN

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS 2007 HD FLSTC
I drove my first three Camaros year round as daily drivers while my Harley waited out the winter. I can not tell you how good a gen 5 is in the snow because after all of the white knuckle driving in my first three Camaros, I reached two conclusions. One is that the winter destroys cars. After one winter, my 1998 black Z-28 was swirled from the salt and sand and the carpets never looked the same. Two, V-8 Camaros suck in the snow period. Too powerful, tires are too wide to dig in. My 2010 SS waits patiently next to my Harley while I drive a 2001 Buick as a winter car.
HDDAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 05:49 AM   #5
5thGenCamaroChick
Hey y'all :)

Drives: Rosalee
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Diablo View Post
I will not drive mine within a couple weeks after snow fall because of the cinders that stick around, and never in the snow. I have 315 Nitto DRs on the back and they throw the cinders like crazy and wouldn't grip in the snow.
What are these "cinders" you speak of? I HAD to drive mine today. We just had a snow/ice storm a couple of days ago and the roads are just now getting back to normal. While driving I noticed what sounded like tiny gravel hitting my car once in a while. More than normal anyway. Were they "cinders"? I never paid attention to it in my other cars because, for one, bad weather doesn't really happen a whole lot here and B:, frankly I didn't care.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:45 AM   #6
venice17517

Drives: 2010 Camaro
In live in PA lots of bad weather, my 2010 Camaro is my daily driver. I have installed GM spalsh guards and a front end bra to help with the chips. The vehicle handles like another rear wheel drive in the bad weather, you need to take your time. If the snow get to bad I just stay home in any vehicle/
venice17517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #7
Rocks RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
I live in NE Ohio and mine does great with the snow tires on.

Although, I can not wait for summer again to put the windows down and just let her run.

Sporting MRT V1, Hurst short throw, and Injen long tube and loving it!!!

Also, over 125,000 miles and going.
Rocks RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:51 AM   #8
shad2009
"Cassie"

Drives: 2007 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to shad2009 Send a message via Yahoo to shad2009
until i pay it off(when i get it) and buy a truck(i'm thinkin avalanche) it's going to b my daily driver, so she will see snow...probably only 2 years at the most(im hopin to have her paid off by the middle of next yr )

Future Wheels - 2014 Ford Mustang GT & 2014 Chevy Camaro
shad2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:54 AM   #9
RichieRich

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS/RS
Don't drive it in the fog, or rain. Stored for nice days.

We don't want our Cam to catch a cold.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #10
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
I do, but within reason. I'm the only driver in my house and I do have an Impala that needs driving too.
Proud Owner of #168
AngryAmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
SRFnSNO

Drives: Blown & Flamed
Mine is daily Driver.
For really bad weather have AV. AV is down right now.

Next week Camaro gets to go to the ski slopes.
SRFnSNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 AM   #12
Silver Ice

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss-rs
In the garage till April. Driving my truck, and I cant stand the salt on that. Im OCD
Silver Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #13
CamaroKen

Drives: 2010 SIM SS
My SS is a DD and I love it in the snow. With snow tires, this car grips rather well as long as you don't floor it, but when you do floor it, it is a lot of fun.
CamaroKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 07:47 AM   #14
ssrpol78

Drives: SIM 2LT
Mine is my DD, too. I cringe when its snowing but thats life.
ssrpol78 is offline   Reply With Quote