Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 01-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #15
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Not sure if it's been mentioned above, but your better two stage compressors allow for higher air pressure. This allows for running better air tools at higher pressures to give you the power to break tight bolts. Most cheaper two stage compressors still only go to just above 100psi. Also when talking real Hp instead of "advertised" a two Hp motor is the biggest you will run on a 20 amp 110v circuit without tripping breakers. This is why 110 units are just toys for any kind of real garage work. If you want to run a nailer or do small projects they are fine.

My suggest would be to get a good professional two stage in the 5hp range. If you can afford to buy high end wheels and superchargers you should be able to afford a good compressor. Lol
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:03 PM   #16
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
You are right PQ. Another member said already quality air tools makes a huge difference. I have no problem with my 30 gallon compressor and good air tools.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #17
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
As far as couplers, (quick connects) Milton brass 1/4" is what dad always used, and they were pretty durable. 1/4" couplers with 3/8 hose and 1/4" fitting ends should give all the volume you need.

Not all couplers are exactly the same, make sure you get matching males & females. Most smaller air tools are 1/4 npt, including your air ratchet, unless you have a superduper high torque model.

Also, don't skimp on your air line, I bought some Chinese craponacracker hose that cracked & leaked in less than a year. ....

Old 01-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #18
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmanntexas View Post
I was given a Husky 2-stage 220V compressor about 2 years ago, which presented me with a similar problem. I didn't want to run a 220V circuit through the finished walls in the garage. My solution was to install a double pole breaker into one of the unused slots in the breaker box, and locate a 220 outlet right below the box. I bought some remnant cable from Lowe's, wired one end to the compressor, and put a 220V plug on the other end. I think I spent about $50 parts and cable all combined.
I may go this route. However when I replaced my entire power mast and electric box on the house the week after Katrina I made sure to leave myself an easy upgrade plan. I could have this run and done in an hour if I choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned above, but your better two stage compressors allow for higher air pressure. This allows for running better air tools at higher pressures to give you the power to break tight bolts. Most cheaper two stage compressors still only go to just above 100psi. Also when talking real Hp instead of "advertised" a two Hp motor is the biggest you will run on a 20 amp 110v circuit without tripping breakers. This is why 110 units are just toys for any kind of real garage work. If you want to run a nailer or do small projects they are fine.

My suggest would be to get a good professional two stage in the 5hp range. If you can afford to buy high end wheels and superchargers you should be able to afford a good compressor. Lol
The cost is really not much more at all. I have a hundred foot of romex already so I should be fine. My good compressor died recently so I've been using this small one. When I say my good compressor it was not even 5cfm so kinda sucked anyway.

The plan is to move in the next couple of years from this house but I will still run the wires if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
You are right PQ. Another member said already quality air tools makes a huge difference. I have no problem with my 30 gallon compressor and good air tools.
I do plan on some painting as well. I hear that uses the air pretty good too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Twisty View Post
As far as couplers, (quick connects) Milton brass 1/4" is what dad always used, and they were pretty durable. 1/4" couplers with 3/8 hose and 1/4" fitting ends should give all the volume you need.

Not all couplers are exactly the same, make sure you get matching males & females. Most smaller air tools are 1/4 npt, including your air ratchet, unless you have a superduper high torque model.

Also, don't skimp on your air line, I bought some Chinese craponacracker hose that cracked & leaked in less than a year. ....
I always did buy good fittings. And plenty of them. I have a bucket full.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:21 PM   #19
motorhead

Quote:

Also, don't skimp on your air line, I bought some Chinese craponacracker hose that cracked & leaked
Agree here. I always buy Goodyear air line. I still have the first one I ever bought over 25 years ago.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:22 PM   #20
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Agree here. I always buy Goodyear air line. I still have the first one I ever bought over 25 years ago.
You mean I shouldn't tape a bunch of straws together and use that?
Old 01-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #21
motorhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Haha! Just get a good garden hose.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:06 PM   #22
Mr Twisty

Quote:
You could just BLOWHARD.....

Wouldn't even need a compressor

Try this, let me know how it works

http://www.rockler.com/flexzillareg-...ngths-air-hose

You guys were talking about connectors and what-not doohicky things in the other thread, didn't know if it was covered or not.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:20 PM   #23
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Just my 2 cents.

Air compressor - big volume and quick recovery. You may decide you may want to paint or air sand an entire vehicle some day. I was lucky and inherited mine from my Dad's diesel shop. Must be 40 years old, but still strong with regular maintenance.

Noise - If you end up running power, I would recommend building a noise insulated dog house in or out of your shop. Much more pleasant for the operator.

Dry air - Get an air dryer for the life of your tools. Mo is better for any type of painting or tool life. I live in AZ, but the air tank still builds up water.

Hoses - NAPA paint hose work for me for general use. Kink proof and durable. But I make sure I keep the true paint hoses oil/contaminant free.

Tools - I've had my Chicago Pneumatic 3/4 air wrench for 20 plus years. Rated for more torque than most and still running strong. My Dad's one got away from me over the years, but its still in operation after 35 years. Just keep them oiled and dry.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 10:31 PM   #24
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
Just for fun - check out an air nibbler and a "zip gun" (aka air hammer). Zip gun makes short work of stodgy bolts and concrete if needed. Zip gun has saved from firing up the torch on several occasions. Nibbler makes short work of shaping aluminum.

Your post just reminded me that I need to get my toys out and lube them up.

gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:15 PM   #25
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
You could just BLOWHARD.....

Wouldn't even need a compressor

Try this, let me know how it works

http://www.rockler.com/flexzillareg-...ngths-air-hose

You guys were talking about connectors and what-not doohicky things in the other thread, didn't know if it was covered or not.
OOOooooooooOOOOoooooo..... those couplers are pretty on that page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotroost View Post
Just my 2 cents.

Air compressor - big volume and quick recovery. You may decide you may want to paint or air sand an entire vehicle some day. I was lucky and inherited mine from my Dad's diesel shop. Must be 40 years old, but still strong with regular maintenance.

Noise - If you end up running power, I would recommend building a noise insulated dog house in or out of your shop. Much more pleasant for the operator.

Dry air - Get an air dryer for the life of your tools. Mo is better for any type of painting or tool life. I live in AZ, but the air tank still builds up water.

Hoses - NAPA paint hose work for me for general use. Kink proof and durable. But I make sure I keep the true paint hoses oil/contaminant free.

Tools - I've had my Chicago Pneumatic 3/4 air wrench for 20 plus years. Rated for more torque than most and still running strong. My Dad's one got away from me over the years, but its still in operation after 35 years. Just keep them oiled and dry.
All good info. It is humid as hell here so I may just do that. I have to drain water every time I use my compressor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotroost View Post
Just for fun - check out an air nibbler and a "zip gun" (aka air hammer). Zip gun makes short work of stodgy bolts and concrete if needed. Zip gun has saved from firing up the torch on several occasions. Nibbler makes short work of shaping aluminum.

Your post just reminded me that I need to get my toys out and lube them up.
Glad I can help.

Ya, I will be buying a paint gun soon. I have a few projects I'll be working on and I was told that the last thing you want is for the tool to get low and sputter.
Old 01-24-2014, 12:07 PM   #26
CHMSC
ROAD COURSE JUNKIE

Drives: 2012 SS/RS LS3
Then you should really go with a 60 or 80 for painting, unless you are doing very small pieces. Make sure to get some good filters so there is no moisture in your pain.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:37 PM   #27
Mr Twisty

Quote:

the last thing you want is for the tool to get low and sputter.
That's what she said
Old 01-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #28
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
That's what she said
lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHMSC View Post
Then you should really go with a 60 or 80 for painting, unless you are doing very small pieces. Make sure to get some good filters so there is no moisture in your pain.
Good tip. I will.