Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 12-14-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
header/exhaust install DIY?

Who has installed their headers/exhaust themselves? I'm considering bolting on the dynaflow long headers and MBRP exhaust myself but would rather avoid any complications while installing or issues post install without having a tune, et al-- so I'm thinking about having a tuning shop install for me.

For those that have done their own install--
How difficult were the headers to install? Was there a great deal of labor involved? Was it driveable pre tune?

What about cat back exhaust install?

Thanks!
full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:41 AM   #2
ThunderSS

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS
headers should take you a couple of hours.. not to bad.. general wrenching.
cat back takes about an hour or 2. you will need to line everything up, and make sure it tucks up nice and neat. so as not to touch any part of the body, or supports..
on a scale of 1-10. 1 being super easy, and 10 being take it to a certified mechanic..
I give it a 3.

2010 Camaro SS/RS HKE Forged 416 CID
http://www.fquick.com/ThunderZ28
510 HP/485 Ft. Lbs
ThunderSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:46 AM   #3
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I agree, the catback is straight forward. My first to mechanical jobs I ever did was my CAI and Catback on my old Z28. I did header too, but on that LT1 it was a PITA. From what I see and what I've heard there is a lot more room and installing LT headers on your 2010 SS in the garage won't be too tought. You just need a set of jackstands and wrenches.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
full of days

I'm going to borrow some jackstands and a 3 ton jack from a buddy. all the tools I need will be metric, right? Crazy Aussie designers :-D

Is there much stuff I will need to remove by way of coolant hoses, wiring harnesses, et al for an install on Dynatech long headers? It seems that the MBRP cat back exhaust is rather straightforward. I'm sure both the headers and exhaust will have instructions too, right?
Old 12-15-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by full of days View Post
I'm going to borrow some jackstands and a 3 ton jack from a buddy. all the tools I need will be metric, right? Crazy Aussie designers :-D

Is there much stuff I will need to remove by way of coolant hoses, wiring harnesses, et al for an install on Dynamax long headers? It seems that the MBRP cat back exhaust is rather straightforward. I'm sure both the headers and exhaust will have instructions too, right?
all you have to take off will be your oil dipstick, plugs/wires, disconnect O2 sensors and steering shaft. I have AR headers, but I doubt they'd be any different to install. Yes, everything is metric.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:48 AM   #6
full of days

This was the easiest project I've done. Really is just a bolt on application. PLUS I got intimate with the working parts on my new car. I'd suggest anyone with space and tools tackle headers/exhaust on their own. Your experiences may vary. Just got her tuned yesterday 414/415 Hp/Tq :-D

Old 12-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #7
herkman

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS, 69 Camaro
Whatever you do....remove your spark plugs! I didn't think I hit mine but after a 20 mile drive my service stabilitrac DIC along with three lights came on and I was running on 7 cylinders. Auto Zone read it as a number 5 cylinder misfire and I pulled the plug. It was cracked in two places and black where it was misfiring. I should have read the instructions!
R6P - Kooks 1-7/8 Catted LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, MGW Shifter, Revolution SS Front Spoiler, Unrestricted Motorsports Rear Spoiler, Razzi Side and Rear EFX, Heritage Grill, Hawk HPS Pads, G2 Matched Calipers, SAV-3 Wheels, Vengeance Racing Stage II Cam 227/239.614/.624 115+3, 25% Underdrive Pulley, Oil Catch Can, 461 RWHP - 420 Torque
herkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #8
Josh @ Spartan LSX

Drives: A wrench
As long as you have the tools, it's easy on these cars.

And yes, you always remove spark plugs when doing headers. Makes the job much easier and eliminates the risk of cracking a plug trying to fight the headers in/out. Plugs are cheap (if you use the right kind and not the double platinum garbage) and should be replaced during a header install anyway.
Josh @ Spartan LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
SSTony

Drives: SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to SSTony
I was doing so well till a bolt slipped and i cracked a spark plug. I was able to get the broken one out easy. i am having a hard time doing my headers cause of the cat issue. Either i put the header up and just put bolts in to hold it there and fight to get the cat on between the header and stock pipe or I install the cat on the header and fight for hrs trying to align the bolts. I am sure doing the passenger side will be easier. At least i hope.

Anyone know what the stock spark plug is for a 2010 camaro ls3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
As long as you have the tools, it's easy on these cars.

And yes, you always remove spark plugs when doing headers. Makes the job much easier and eliminates the risk of cracking a plug trying to fight the headers in/out. Plugs are cheap (if you use the right kind and not the double platinum garbage) and should be replaced during a header install anyway.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
SSTony

Drives: SS Camaro
Send a message via AIM to SSTony
Old 01-06-2010, 09:54 PM   #11
herkman

Drives: 2010 IOM SS/RS, 69 Camaro
SSTony

Stock plug is an AC Delco 41-110 and Advance Auto Parts had these in stock. I think I got two for around $6.00
R6P - Kooks 1-7/8 Catted LT Headers, Roto-Fab CAI, MGW Shifter, Revolution SS Front Spoiler, Unrestricted Motorsports Rear Spoiler, Razzi Side and Rear EFX, Heritage Grill, Hawk HPS Pads, G2 Matched Calipers, SAV-3 Wheels, Vengeance Racing Stage II Cam 227/239.614/.624 115+3, 25% Underdrive Pulley, Oil Catch Can, 461 RWHP - 420 Torque
herkman is offline   Reply With Quote