Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
Huero30
Huero30

Drives: 2011 Convertible 2SS/RS
new and confused

So like i said last time, im really new to Camaro5.com, just really started posting a few days ago. But last week I took my car in to get the top replaced because of "rub marks" (2011, 2SS). Without hassle they told me they'd replace it for me, but today when I went in to pick it up they said "hey the upholstery shop barely delivered it this morning, sorry about the wait". So i'm confused, does this work not get done at the actual dealer? Or do they locate someone who does upholstery work and just take it to them?
Help please, really confused to know who had the car.
Huero30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
Ebbsnflows

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1-1LE
I understand that you're new, but Shouldn't you ask the dealership this question? You know...since they're the one you're dealing with.

I have found that going to the source is better than having a bunch of strangers on the internet speculate about it.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
CHEV400

Drives: 2010 2ss
Work should be performed at a dealer. That's how my dealership does it
CHEV400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #4
rubbersoul84

Drives: IO 2012 2SS/RS convertible
My dealer doesn't do tops. They send the cars to a trim shop to have the work done. I was nervous about that and asked bunches of questions. They told me "three tops so far with no complaints." Well, I had enough complaints for all of them. Check your seats and window trim for metal filings, put the top halfway down and make sure the parts look the same on both sides with no clips hanging. Check the area around your third light and the trim where the tonneau goes on. Check the whole car for scratches and dings that weren't there before. I refused to let them send it back to that trim shop so the dealer fixed all my issues right there in front of me. I hope yours is trouble free.
rubbersoul84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:42 PM   #5
Huero30
Huero30

@Ebbsnflows: yeah I knew I should've asked, but its Saturday and the guy that normally helps me out wasn't there n he's the one I normally ask all my questions to. Will ask on Monday though, thanks

@CHEV400: Thanks, just really caught me off guard when he said the "upholstery shop" because i thought it'd be done at the dealership, but thank you
Old 10-27-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
Huero30
Huero30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoul84 View Post
My dealer doesn't do tops. They send the cars to a trim shop to have the work done. I was nervous about that and asked bunches of questions. They told me "three tops so far with no complaints." Well, I had enough complaints for all of them. Check your seats and window trim for metal filings, put the top halfway down and make sure the parts look the same on both sides with no clips hanging. Check the area around your third light and the trim where the tonneau goes on. Check the whole car for scratches and dings that weren't there before. I refused to let them send it back to that trim shop so the dealer fixed all my issues right there in front of me. I hope yours is trouble free.
Thanks for the input, i kinda noticed my top was a little stiffer, but i'm thinking because its new? and everything is fine, but the pull down handle seems very "loose" and easy to move. Normal? not normal? i will post pics in later of a question i have about the inside as well. thanks though.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #7
Candy_Camaro
Amanda

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Some dealers do basic maintenance and send your car out for other stuff...it all depends on the dealer.
Candy_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
Candy_Camaro
Amanda

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Welcome to C5!
Candy_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:59 PM   #9
AdamZ
Account Suspended

Drives: Eve - 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHEV400 View Post
Work should be performed at a dealer. That's how my dealership does it
With all the complaints on the tops...maybe they should contract repairs out lol.
AdamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
rubbersoul84

Drives: IO 2012 2SS/RS convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huero30 View Post
the pull down handle seems very "loose" and easy to move. Normal? not normal? i will post pics in later of a question i have about the inside as well. thanks though.
My new top is stiffer too. It's tighter on the frame and I have to grab the handle and pull the top down about half an inch to close it. The old one came all the way down to the windshield on its own. The handle is really tight though, so I don't know if yours is normal or not.

I actually went to the showroom and asked them to raise and lower the top on one for me so I could see if mine was the same. The sales guy gave me attitude, but the service guy just chuckled.
rubbersoul84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Huero30
Huero30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy_Camaro View Post
Some dealers do basic maintenance and send your car out for other stuff...it all depends on the dealer.
Thank you, and thank you for the welcome, its starting to become addicting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbersoul84 View Post
My new top is stiffer too. It's tighter on the frame and I have to grab the handle and pull the top down about half an inch to close it. The old one came all the way down to the windshield on its own. The handle is really tight though, so I don't know if yours is normal or not.

I actually went to the showroom and asked them to raise and lower the top on one for me so I could see if mine was the same. The sales guy gave me attitude, but the service guy just chuckled.
I think i might go check out a different one at the dealership, because i did notice a little bit of the stiffness in the top. How it used to go down to the windshield and now you have to sort of pull down a little more. But thank you for the input
Old 10-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #12
SS4PK

Drives: 2010SS
When I used to have an s2000, I had the top replaced
Under warrantee. The dealer did not do it, they sent it out. Think of it this way, do you want someone at the dealership who has replaced a top once do it or someone who replaces convertible tops all the time do it? You want the person with the most experience to do it. As long as all the work is under the warrantee and is done right that's all that matters.

Her Hot Rod.
SS4PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #13
Huero30
Huero30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4PK View Post
When I used to have an s2000, I had the top replaced
Under warrantee. The dealer did not do it, they sent it out. Think of it this way, do you want someone at the dealership who has replaced a top once do it or someone who replaces convertible tops all the time do it? You want the person with the most experience to do it. As long as all the work is under the warrantee and is done right that's all that matters.
Yes definitely get that part, just thought it was weird that i wasnt told anything until "yeah upholstery shop delivered it this morning". when i dropped it off, i expected it to be done there. But yes completely understand what youre saying, thank you.