Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-30-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
DaNniKiNnZ

Drives: 98'
Arrow HELP!!! Engine Knocking

Bought a 98 Camaro. V 6 from dealer... Less than 24 hours later all the sudden there was no oil pressure etc and there was knocking in the engine.. Furthermore called the dealer where they towed the car and brought it back over 100+ miles and replaced the oil pump..

Not just a couple days after this we get ready to leave, start the car and a loud boisterous knocking subdued... Quickly turned off engine, opened hood...

The oil filter was half way unscrewed, oil spewing forth everywhere.. Tightened that up.. Then because of the pressurized system it blew the gaskets out of the 'oil sending unit' ... Well... That got fixed (i think).... and now when we start the car we the car we hear a knocking sound again.. Loud....

Don't want to move the car due to don't want to blow up engine... It doesn't seem to be leaking anymore...

Someone please help!!!!!!!!!
DaNniKiNnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #2
DaNniKiNnZ

Also... There are NO metal shavings in oil.. Doesn't smell or look burnt.. Seems very nice and smooth like oil should be.. Not milky.. Though we have put new oil in it due to the other had leaked out...
Old 03-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #3
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
There's no way in hell after only owning it for a few days i would i keep that car. If there is anyway to return in to the dealer, do so ASAP. Running a motor with no oil pressure is a good way to destroy your motor. Hopefully they gave you some sort of warranty.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
2011 SS SLP ZL427

Drives: 2011 SS ZL427
First off why was the oil spraying out of the filter did the dealer double gasket the filter and it blew out or was the filter totally loose? Secondly if any of the above are true Id take it back to the dealer and raise hell over faulty work, If you have oil pressure and no leaks and the engine is still knocking more the likely you have spun one of the crankshaft main/rod bearings and that will warrant a major engine repair, dont run the vehical anymore until any oil pressure/leaks are repaired, more then likely the engine is bad by now tho with running with no pressure a number of times...
Old 03-30-2013, 06:43 PM   #5
DaNniKiNnZ

Just changed the Oil Sending Unit... And still to no avail
There is oil in the engine.. Just now showing no pressure and is still knocking...

am assuming its the oil pump?

We always made sure the oil pressure was up and such before driving it.. Always watching our gauges..
Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 PM   #6
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
I thought you said they already replaced the oil pump? Sounds fishy, if its knocking, you dont want it, get them to take it back or replace the motor.

Last edited by POWERFREAK; 03-30-2013 at 08:47 PM.
POWERFREAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
DaNniKiNnZ

They did replace the oil pump... And alright. I will be getting ahold of these people monday..
Old 03-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #8
2011 SS SLP ZL427

Drives: 2011 SS ZL427
It sounds like the dealer you bought this car from has done alot of faulty work on the car from replacing the oil pump to a loose oil filter, Id call them and tell them they have done the oil pump the engine lost oil pressure and is making noise, dont run the vehical anymore until a diagnosis is done, and by this point I would bet the engine is shot.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #9
QUICKSS

Drives: 2013 2SS
Rod knock. You are looking at some expensive repairs. Stop running the enigine.
QUICKSS is offline   Reply With Quote