Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-01-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
d454brisson

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Trying to decide Heat exchanger or Tires NT05R

I just finished the Rough idle cam and am working with Ted for the next pulley tune revisions

Trying to decide whats more important now for the street as I am going to eventually get a set of 17 replicas and drag radials

Either 20 NT05R tires or the Ron davis or Afco HE?

I have read Teds thoughts that a HE isnt really needed but the forums been light so I figured I would get some thoughts before ordering tires

DB
2014 ZL1

Last edited by d454brisson; 03-01-2017 at 12:47 PM.
d454brisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Where did you read Ted saying that an aftermarket heat exchanger is really needed?
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:41 PM   #3
d454brisson

Sorry typo, meant to say "isnt" really needed

Page 2

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...changer+system
Old 03-01-2017, 12:52 PM   #4
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by d454brisson View Post
Sorry typo, meant to say "isnt" really needed

Page 2

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...changer+system
Yeah that's why I asked because I've always seen him say it isn't really needed. Other opinions on here will definitely vary, though. I am kind of on the side that says it IS needed.
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:13 PM   #5
ZEV1L ONE

Drives: 2015 AGM ZL1 (6M)
If you want the car run more efficient pull after pull, then I'd get one, not mandatory however. In my opinion, if you've got the supercharger spinning faster with a OD pulley (I.e. more heat) I think you should invest in one as well as a reservoir. If you look at the stock HX compared to an aftermarket one, night and day difference, not to mention its 10X easier to bleed the system and keep up on the proper fluid levels. Given that you have the cam and pulley already, its one of those pay to play things. Again, not mandatory, but, if it was my car, I would absolutely do that (and I did, went with AFCO)

I know Ted is of the opinion that its not necessary, but he does at least recommend an interchiller or some other option to cool the IAT's from what he's said in the past to keep a handle on the temps. At the end of the day the cooler the IAT's and the less timing pulled from heat soak, the more power... and more power is always good!

Just my .02
ZEV1L ONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:00 PM   #6
wrtowman

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1SS
IMO, a HX is needed before drag radials. Drag radials tell me you want to race it or do a lot of pulls. If you were asking about a summer tire that you were in need of for a daily driver, I would say go with the tire.

I went with the AFCO and am super happy with it. I think it was $415ish shipped on ebay.
2011 SGM Camaro 1SS/RS A6 - Vengeance Racing built/tuned. 590RWHP/560RWTQ, ADM LSA Conversion, 2.5 Grip-Tec, ZL1 fuel pump, ADM FPCM, FIC1000, VRPD2 Cam and LS3 Conversion with all the internal goodies, American Racing 1 7/8 Headers, no cats, SW Retro Cat Back, ADM Intake, AFCO HX, Varimax Pump, Rotofab Reservoir, B&M Transmission Cooler, VMAX TB, Elite Engineering CC, BMR LCAs, Trailing Arms, Toe Rods, DSS 1000hp axles, ZL1 Bumper and Sideskirts, Night Owl Halos, Matte Black 20" Rohana RC-22 with 20x10-275s/20x11-315s, R1 Concept Premier Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Hawk Ceramic Pads.
wrtowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:29 PM   #7
TrekGTO

Drives: 05 GTO / JETTA TDI
+1 for an Active Interchiller benefits have been proven time and again. I have a ZL1 customer that just removed a huge H/E with fans less than a year old in favor of going back to stock H/E and Xtreme Chiller. I got a text from him today asking about Freon Charge is 48* IAT2 90* ambient good or should he add another oz Freon. Many are going in favor of no H/E and just an Xtreme Chiller
TrekGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:35 PM   #8
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
If you want to have a few fun passes at a drag strip/street get the Nittos. They hook great on these Camaros. If you plan on staying at the track all day or doing any road racing get the heat exchanger. The Afco is a great way to go
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #9
jrhagen
Banned

Drives: Camaro
It is good for road track days but other than that it is useless. I wasted the money.
jrhagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:15 PM   #10
d454brisson

jrhagen what did you wast mony on the HE?

Not really a daily driver but I do put some miles on it to the office on good days, local happy hours etc.

At the current power level on a 60deg day it just blew the rear tires off when I was trying to merge 2 lane to one with a gentle curve. When it finally hooked it was gone.

So my thought was the 20' nt05r with the small sidewall would be better than the stock GY on the street, while i understand not optimal at the track. Rain would be only a got caught out in it thing versus actually taking out in rain for a transportation need.

As summer comes it will see more miles on clear days to golf courses etc, track would secondary aka see what it can do, run with a few friends etc.

If i did either interchiller I would keep HE in place as I wouldn't want to deal with AC failure I could see times when I am keeping cabin cool and dont want to worry about losing that efficiency.

D.Brisson

Last edited by d454brisson; 03-01-2017 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:33 PM   #11
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
Based on what you're stating, I would go with the tires first...Plenty of time in the future to do upgrades for the track...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:06 AM   #12
Viczl1

Drives: 2019 ZL1
I agree with Stunnah. Tires first.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:15 AM   #13
robrocketanski

Drives: ZL1 Convertible Auto
I did about 20 runs in a few hours. Once when there was no wait at all I did them about 6 minutes apart. You could argue that I lost a tenth but look at the 60 and you can see I lost the tenth there. The cut off one is a 10.873 with a 60 back to what it was on the 10.84 run.

There are only two arguments for the HE based on these results. Either I was already hot all the time and therefore don't lose power because power is already down or I was able to cool off enough on the return road cruise for 6 minutes. That time for a convertible is pretty good for 28% overdrive so I think I am making decent power and if 6 minutes on the return road cools it off enough then I wouldn't call it heat soak.

Just my own experience.

I will say if I had regular tires or the stock tires that would have been one shit day spinning down the track. I was on 305/45/18 MT Street R and still could spin them.
Attached Images

LS3 intake and throttle body, Huron Speed Products twin turbo with 6265 oil less turbos, and 3" header back, JRE smooth cam, ID1300, Fore dual 450lph pumps with MSD voltage booster, A6, 305/45/17 MT Street R
robrocketanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 07:34 AM   #14
crazydave

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 M6
When you sat DRs, do you mean 100% of the time or just for fun and track days? Just be aware DRs, even Nittos,affect the cornering of the car. I hate how my car handles with the DRs on the back for daily driving, they are great for straight line pulls, but they noticeably suck in the twisties on the street and the rear feels like its wandering around and not planted, due to the flexible sidewall. The great thing about this car is its really great at 1 thing, but its good at everything, so as soon as I'm done at the track the street tires go back on.

HX are great, but if you are not 1/4 mile tracking it I would save your money. The stock system for the most part can keep up as long as you are moving and not under boost alot, like 1 or 2 WOT gear pulls on the hwy. The aftermarket HXs don't do much when you are under boost, (they do help a little, maybe 5-10 deg IAT2 difference at the end of the 1/4 in my experience), but where they excel is recovery time. My IAT2s came down twice as fast on the return road at the track in comparison to the stock HX and if you are on the hwy cruising, this is not really going to be a factor.

I would advise you to just save your money unless you are serious about tracking the car.
Current Mods: Rotofab CAI, Big Gulp, and Res. ATI Superdamper and 10" Lower, DSX FF Sensor, DSX Aux Fuel Pump, ID850s, Kooks 1 7/8" Headers, Forced Induction Interchiller, McLeod RTX Twin disk. DSX Tuned. Running on 20" MT ET Street SS on stock wheels for the strip.

Best 1/4 mile to date:10.81 @130.43 mph w/ 1.61 60'

Just added: Jokerz Stage II blower port and FI Interchillers blower lid spacer.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote