Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 10-07-2013, 09:58 AM   #29
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
That's all tune and boost control plumbing or setup issues. Nothing to do with the kit. Call Kevin if they can't figure it out.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:43 PM   #30
HarryNW
HarryNW

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS Black (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
That's all tune and boost control plumbing or setup issues. Nothing to do with the kit. Call Kevin if they can't figure it out.
Given the incredible hammer that hits my chest when I hit the throttle, I agree this is not a kit issue ;-) I am essentially going to baby the car until I can get it back to Alex.
Old 10-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #31
HarryNW
HarryNW

Good news. Alex was able to synch up with Kevin and identified what I will refer to as "communication gaps" on some hardware and tune requirements. Combined with this being Alex's first time doing this TT kit and we get a few oversights. It will be back in the shop shortly to correct the issues.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #32
HarryNW
HarryNW

UPDATE: Alex and team had the car for a little over a week while I was out of town. I have not talked with Alex long enough to get the gory details on what he did in terms of tune mods, but the EBC solenoid replacement fixed the EBC issue and it has smoothed out the application of boost and seems to be working properly.

Here is the before/after dyno graph:

Name:  Dyno1.jpg
Views: 1193
Size:  110.5 KB

Any thoughts on some of the early variations between 2,000 to 3,200 RPM? And same above 4,600?

I picked up the car Sunday morning, so in the last 24 hours of driving, I can report that power is there and I am very impressed with the car's drivetrain in terms of pushing power to the wheels - I can disable traction control and persist a burnout all the way through 4th gear and have to fight very little to keep on a line.

The only thing that is still problematic is the high degree of trailer hitching at constant RPMs. This problem was greatly reduced with Alex's work in the last week, but still painfully present, to the extent that I spend most of my time clutching/coasting whenever possible to avoid attempting to maintain a constant speed. Gas mileage is pretty sick - under 8MPG - I was definitely hammering it a few times, and will try to see what Daily Driving conditions indicate, but seems like a huge drop. Not really concerned about MPG yet, more focused on the hitching issue - just thought it should be mentioned.

Idle seems to vary quite a bit. What I would consider "good" idle sounds great - low RPM (at around 400-600), loping, sounds mean. But, it fluctuates throughout the day and will bounce from the "good" idle to odd ranges like 900-1,500 for minutes at a time when sitting at a light. e.g. I will sit at a light and it will idle "good", then 10 minutes later sitting at another light it will idle at over 1,000 for the entire cycle of 1-2 minutes.

I am considering reaching out to one or more of the builders here with some logging to see if you can identify anything interesting/obvious. I am assuming I should provide logging in conditions while the trailer hitching is occurring, but anything else I should log? Anything specific in terms of what to log or is it simply "log everything"? I can log easily enough via the Torque app and my OBD2 bluetooth, and I assume it can log all the pertinent info...

Bottom line: Happy with the incredible power, and fun to drive aggressively, but painful to drive under normal DD.

Any feedback?
Old 10-28-2013, 03:41 PM   #33
Unreal

Idle/etc is all the tune. That cam should have good idle. As for the trailer hitching, that is common with larger cams and most of it should be able to be tuned out. What RPM/etc does it happen? I hope people explained that cams have trade offs like that, which is why I suggest stock or baby cams on FI daily driver applications. Stock cam could have easily maxed out the motor/drivetrain and made 800rwhp with no issues. Just turn the boost up.

Log maf, map, timing, o2 sensors, rpm, tps, etc.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #34
HarryNW
HarryNW

Quote:
Idle/etc is all the tune. That cam should have good idle. As for the trailer hitching, that is common with larger cams and most of it should be able to be tuned out. What RPM/etc does it happen?
At just about any RPM that I try to maintain a consistent RPM/throttle. I have not tried to maintain RPM over 4,000 but could try just for grins, but just think of normal traffic on streets and highway - trying to maintain any constant 20/30/35/45/55/65 MPH, in various gears, all the same hitching. Ironically, it is a LN Stage 2C cam that I believe Kevin recommended to Alex, so I tend to agree that it must be tune.

Quote:
Stock cam could have easily maxed out the motor/drivetrain and made 800rwhp with no issues. Just turn the boost up.
Yep, I specifically limited boost to stay "down" in the 600's to save on the drivetrain. Will increase once I begin upgrading the drivetrain...

Quote:
Log maf, map, timing, o2 sensors, rpm, tps, etc.
Thanks. I am simply going to post the logs as a link in this thread once I log.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #35
HarryNW
HarryNW

Just a quick update - I was testing the conditions under which the hitching was occurring and there is a definite change above ~2,700 RPM. I can maintain constant throttle at 3,000 RPM and see no hitching. Anything below 2,700 RPM is constant hitching. Any advice for my tuner (other than swap the Stage 2C cam for stock or baby cam)?
Old 10-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #36
Unreal

Log and figure out what is going on. Timing changes, torque management, maf reversion, etc.
Old 10-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #37
KlugSS

Another case of needing to find a tuner that knows what he is doing.
Only difference between your setup drivability and stock drivability should only be more power when going wide open throttle.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #38
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNW View Post
Very excited - Alex emailed to report that the AGP TT Kit and the Cam were ordered, so now just awaiting parts delivery dates to set the date to take it in for the install.

The Cam selected Livernois Motorsports L92 Stage 2C:
Intake duration is 224
Exhaust duration is 236
Intake/ Exhaust lift is .620
Lobe Seperation 117

Apparently this is the same cam Kevin at AGP is running in his own car and loves it.

Is that the cam ?

Cant see any reason why it wouldnt be smooth, it certainly isnt big in any way.

As others say, log everything to see what is going on.

injector pulse, airflow, throttle and blade position if possible, timing etc etc It will just be a tuning issue
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 02:42 PM   #39
HarryNW
HarryNW

OK, here is a dyno log of the "surge". The guys at CarbConn use EFI Live logging software.

Would be VERY interested to have some of you take a look to see if anything stands out. Alex has been working with another veteran tuner and they are perplexed and now thinking hardware...

Bottom line is that, at constant speed/throttle there is a consistent hitching/surging that TWO tuners have been unable to explain nor correct. This log is a specific capture of the behavior. This occurs at just about any RPM, but is most noticeable under 3000 RPM. Only other observation is that we noticed an odd behavior that on a flat road surface, at a static RPM, there is hitching. If the road begins a slight incline, putting the engine under even a minuscule strain, while maintaining the same throttle/RPM, the hitching/surging is reduced.

Log_surgeUpdate3.zip

HELP!
Old 11-02-2013, 05:42 PM   #40
Unreal

Plugs, wires, fuel pressure would be the next things to check.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #41
killmode_on

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Weak MAF?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195581

Could be right on the edge of the BOV opening vs. closing. Take the top off your Tial BOV and see what spring is in it. If it has no paint on it, try the Tial 'white' spring. If it's got white paint on it, try the 'black' spring.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:51 PM   #42
HarryNW
HarryNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by killmode_on View Post
Confirmed the strong MAF a few weeks ago. At a steady 2000 RPM, we are not even spooling up the turbos, so don't think this is a turbo issue, but will consider giving the spring a look.

This issue - Please-help-ID-my-O2-problem sounded eerily similar...?