Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #15
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
We apologize for the dissatisfaction you are experiencing with the appearance of your vehicle. Please let us know if they were able to get the part in to correct the issue.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
You guys still haven't told me why my electronic power steering failed the day I took delivery of my car.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 10:05 AM   #16
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
"cosmetic variation"?? Really? That's BS speak for "If it has some minor flaws, tough s**t! Just live with our inability to provide a quality product."

Sorry to hear the issues. That sucks. What will really suck is after 3 years what's going to happen then?

I'm going to bet the exposed CF option will be going away soon if they don't get this corrected pronto. Unless the painted ones are doing it too?
No issues at all with my painted unit. Glad I went in that direction given all the hassles. My thinking was that from 8 feet away they look essentially the same..
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:49 AM   #17
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
You guys still haven't told me why my electronic power steering failed the day I took delivery of my car.
We handle each vehicle concern on a case by case basis and we are unable to provide technical assistance as we rely on the dealerships for this. Did you ever get a diagnosis?

Brandon
Old 10-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #18
Hercules

Drives: 13 ZL1 1091, 04 Ram 2500, 12 CX9
My painted one is fine so far, other than the guy that prepped it pushed toooooo hard with the buffer and there are burn marks on it. I haven't taken it back yet, afraid of them touching it again. I was supposed to get the ECF but they didn't get the allocation for it. I changed my mind because I wanted the car so bad. Now by the sounds of it that was a good decision. Owning the painted one, I still think the ECF looks better. Just my two cents though. Good luck and keep us posted.
Hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #19
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hairtrigger View Post
Looks like a defect in materials and workmanship.
Don't see why that wouldn't be covered under warranty.
This is exactly the kind of problems I was trying to explain in the other topic about CAFE standards. One of the treehumpers was insisting that cars would all switch over to carbon fiber to meet the new CAFE standards and laughed at me when I said that carbon fiber is very difficult to work with and would cause a lot of problems.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 12:09 PM   #20
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
We handle each vehicle concern on a case by case basis and we are unable to provide technical assistance as we rely on the dealerships for this. Did you ever get a diagnosis?

Brandon
No, I don't think anyone did.
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #21
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zl1bro View Post
No issues at all with my painted unit. Glad I went in that direction given all the hassles. My thinking was that from 8 feet away they look essentially the same..
Maybe, but who looks at a ZL1 from 8 feet away, most of my spectators are close enough that when the drool falls from thier mouth, it lands on my car
Old 10-17-2012, 06:13 AM   #22
zl1bro

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6 SIM AGM mono stripe
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
Maybe, but who looks at a ZL1 from 8 feet away, most of my spectators are close enough that when the drool falls from thier mouth, it lands on my car
I'd like them to get no closer than 8 feet. "Back away. Please no drooling on the vehicle"...
zl1bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 06:58 AM   #23
Lonny Doyle
Aerospace Machinist

Drives: 2012 Victory Red ZL1 w/ ECF
I had the same problem also.

They had me send them pictures so they could forward the to GM.

They ordered me a new one after I sent pics and now it is installed.

The only thing that I did not like is that they implied that it may have happened after it left the dealership.

My car has never seen anything but a car wash, I have never buffed it.

The people that manufactured the insert must have buffed through the clear coat.

All is well now.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 AM   #24
mel1
Yeah buddy

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS Inferno Orange
Sometimes you can expect things to happen like this, because at the end of the day, we all still own a GM vehicle......and the quality of worksmanship is not the greatest. But glad to see the issues are getting fixed.
mel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #25
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel1 View Post
Sometimes you can expect things to happen like this, because at the end of the day, we all still own a GM vehicle......and the quality of worksmanship is not the greatest. But glad to see the issues are getting fixed.
So what you're saying is that GM quality is expected to be crummy on a part that costs as much as around the base price of a 69 Camaro and you simply should live with it on a car that cost nearly as much as my house did when I bought it in the early 80s?

Bunko. If you pay good money for the premium version of anything, and this is the best they can offer, it's NOT acceptable to me. There's been several involved with GM that said the ZL1 was the best Camaro yet. I would expect that to mean quality as well as performance. I realize this may or may not be a widespread issue, but then again, the convertible tops became a bigger issue that needed fixing than the original explanation of "this is normal".

It's not about issues themselves as much as it is as to how it's handled by the manufacturer.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #26
strych9
I'll be back...

Drives: Subaru, HD Road Glide Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
So what you're saying is that GM quality is expected to be crummy on a part that costs as much as around the base price of a 69 Camaro and you simply should live with it on a car that cost nearly as much as my house did when I bought it in the early 80s?

Bunko. If you pay good money for the premium version of anything, and this is the best they can offer, it's NOT acceptable to me. There's been several involved with GM that said the ZL1 was the best Camaro yet. I would expect that to mean quality as well as performance. I realize this may or may not be a widespread issue, but then again, the convertible tops became a bigger issue that needed fixing than the original explanation of "this is normal".

It's not about issues themselves as much as it is as to how it's handled by the manufacturer.
The "premium" version is built with no greater quality standard than the rest of the Camaros, top to bottom. Same with the Mustangs, same with the Challengers.

Unless you buy an exotic or a German high-end vehicle, quality will always be inconsistent. The dollar amount you pay is irrelevant. When will people grasp this?
Old 10-17-2012, 11:28 AM   #27
razorz28

Drives: 2017 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Z06
In my opinion everyone is expecting to much out of Exposed Carbon Fibre. Every part is different with its own characteristics. If there are cracks and ridges present it is obviously a flaw, if it is purely cosmetic that is what you get in Carbon Fibre. If you do not like the characteristics I would suggest the painted version.
razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #28
Speedforhire

Drives: 2013 GRAND SPORT (aka: EREBUS)
You want top quality? Go buy an Astin Martin. Otherwise, just get a better replacement part and live with it. GM quality will never be more than it has been. We keep hearing the same old stories yet TPTB will never change.

Nothing new, just move along!
Speedforhire is offline   Reply With Quote