Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 09-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #1
HRD_WRK
HARD WORKING PATRIOT

Drives: 2011 CAMARO 2SS RS-AUTO
-

-

Last edited by HRD_WRK; 03-18-2014 at 06:23 PM.
HRD_WRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
toNspahreP
Account Suspended

Drives: SS
One of the best oils made for the ls engines. I use it in my car.
toNspahreP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 09:23 PM   #3
blackseven

Drives: 2012 2SS Camaro
Do a search on Corvette forum/LS1tech, there is plenty of great information on oils that's not just specific to the Camaro but to all LS motors.

For a stock motor, you're not really getting the advantage (IMO) of using this oil. Since it's a racing oil it can get away with higher anti-wear additives (like zinc/zddp) that "street" oil has been forced to removed by the government for environmental reasons.

Aftermarket cams, even roller/hydraulic cams with upgraded springs have shown increased wear while just running street oil without racing anti-wear additives.
blackseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
Motion427
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Red Jewel L99
I run this oil in my supercharged/cam 6.0l avalanche.Aswell as my wife's bolt on 6.0l Trailblazer SS,and my cam L99 Camaro since it came out.
So far,I'm very happy with the product.For the oil filters,I use the Royal Purple.
Valvetrain is very quiet on a 3 compare to some I've heard.
Motion427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 06:25 AM   #5
GMteSSted

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
"not driven at high oil temps for duration" - I am curious what the specific definition is for this statement.

A couple of you have implied you have it in a daily driver, or at least weekend driver. Any concerns when going out driving, say 100 mile, car club cruise? Any comments?
GMteSSted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:31 AM   #6
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Hey Tim, I switched to this LS30 stuff at my last oil change. My car is definitely the epitome of a "weekend warrior". Doesn't see much use during the week, and only a few times at the track so far. I can't really say that I've noticed any difference in performance, but I like the peace of mind of having that extra zinc content. Certainly can't hurt!!!
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #7
blackseven

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRD_WRK View Post
Thank you for your comments ( your second post ever).
You're welcome. I've been a long time LS motor owner and member of LS1tech (I've built a few LS1's for my Rx7 swaps) and just recently bought a 2012 2SS Camaro.

Have been lurking here for the past two weeks, and noticed that there is a large wealth of good technical information from experienced engine builders on LS1tech that might not be here yet just because the forum is newer.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:50 AM   #8
Stingr69
'69 Owned Since '79

Drives: '69 Z/28 LeMans Blue w/White
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Hey Tim, I switched to this LS30 stuff at my last oil change. My car is definitely the epitome of a "weekend warrior". Doesn't see much use during the week, and only a few times at the track so far. I can't really say that I've noticed any difference in performance, but I like the peace of mind of having that extra zinc content. Certainly can't hurt!!!
Actually, yes it can - If you still have a catalytic converter. If you are cat-less, then go ahead and run it.

JMO.
Stingr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 03:51 PM   #9
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Looking for opinions about this specific oil only for the L99
Prefer comments from users of JGR oils.
Welcome legitimate cons against.

Exclude comments regarding warrantee.

Engine is for racing, not a daily driver, not used in cold climate, not driven at high oil temps for duration.

Thanks.

Excerpt from site:

Formulated Specifically For High Output GM LS Engines
Designed for high performance LS series engines, LS30 reduces oil consumption by limiting oil vaporization and foaming. It utilizes advanced mPAO synthetic base oils to reduce valve train noise and to provide high temperature and high shear protection for GM LS based engines with and without variable valve timing. LS30 delivers industry leading shear stability and HTHS bearing oil film thickness. Ideal for LS-based crate engines and supercharged LS performance engines as well as any performance engine that calls for a 5W-30 viscosity.
Viscosity typical of 5W-30.
High Temp High Shear Protection
Friction Reducing Additives
Meets Demands Of VVT System
Reduced Consumption Via PCV
Check this out. Here was a independent test done on 44 different oils that was posted a few weeks ago.

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30483

They didn't test Joe Gibbs 5w-30 but they did test 10w-30 and it ranked 16th while Mobil1 ranked 3rd. Also, interesting enough Mobil1 has a higher Zinc and Phosphorous content than Joe Gibbs.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
toNspahreP
Account Suspended

Drives: SS
XP3 and LS30 are two completely different oils, they arent even remotely comparable.
toNspahreP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
blackseven

Quote:
A friend of mine just loaded up on the LS30 in his awesome 5th Gen. He's running a maggie,cam in the mid 600s rwhp.

He runs it hard/hot on AutoX. I think he has cats still- will see if it becomes a problem.
It would certainly still be a long time before he would run into issue with the cats. I'd imagine if he hasn't already put LT's on it and high flow cats, when he does it will become even less of an issue.

I think someone put a SWAG (Scientific wild ass guess) of 20% Reduction in life span with higher levels non-street legal anti-wear additives... even at that level I think most performance oriented owners would accept the risk.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:03 PM   #12
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
I am running LS30 in my new engine. What can I tell you, I am under 2000 miles on the new LSX. I always laugh at people who say they put brand x oil in their cars and now it feels so much better ,faster, stronger. You would have to disassemble a engine after thousands of miles to look at wear to know if a oil is doing it's job compared to another engine with another oil. My stock engine had valve spring and lifter failure with a big cam, Zinc and Phosphorus are said to help with wear in these critical areas so I went to a oil that has more in it for a little extra peace of mind. Since you are racing your engine I think Gibb's LS30 would be perfect.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late

Last edited by AG454; 09-27-2013 at 03:07 PM.
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #13
xtreme2s

Drives: Livernois Motorsports 2010 2SS/RS
Hey guys,

I'm the friend of HRD_WRK that just switched into the Joe Gibbs LS30 oil. After reading a recent ad in Camaro Performers on JG LS30 oil for heat generating, big cammed, supercharged LS motors, plus then ironic perfect timing of going to an Performance Shop's open house couple days later, I inquired on this oil.

I heard great praise for what it does, in protection higher lift cam lobes, valve trains with higher spring pressures, extreme heat and such. My motor is total modified from block up. Heads, lifters, springs, cam, blower w/inter cooler, fuel pump, all sensors, headers, hi-flo cats, pipes, and etc.

I too did read up in the Vette forum, since various stages of built LS motors the norm there. It was said, the zinc issue on damaging cats is in the 100,000 mile window (per Vette forum comments) before they get damaged. My Stainless Works brand hi-flo cat's are so open, that ya wonder if they are legal? ...LOL -Not worried on them.
(besides, checking other threads on blown LS3 motors with cat's. Seems others had issues damaging them due to blowers ).

I'm all for performance reliability as best as I can get. I have plenty of HP, (last pull I did 2 months ago hammered up a 633 rwhp on final run of three).

Stuff is expensive, but for me, I did convince myself its worth to switch. (also, as what said earlier, the XP3 is different oil, not for LS motors and I did by 12 qts of the XP3 for my full on 67 Camaro, with built Dart small block with monster roller cam, and more.

So my seat of pants test??? I ripped a quick block long burn out before I parked the Camaro. Seemed fast n furious

But, my "testing" for the moment is in waiting since when we changed oil, then checking on popping noise -suspension issue (from sway links), we discovered my axle inner boots are torn...bad! Maybe why the massive test burn out??? i was pissed on the boot issue, being DSS axles. fyi... Link bolts had work loose, so that was easy fix

Tim
xtreme2s is offline   Reply With Quote