Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-09-2008, 10:54 PM   #1
jhitson

Drives: 88 Camaro, 01 S-10, 06 G6 GTP
Factory paint condition

I was reading the thread about breaking in the engine and it made me think, don't know why though. I have bought bought 2 brand new vehicles from GM now. The paint on both vehicles were acceptable for a factory job. The s-10 had some bad orange peel especialy on the roof. I don't expect GM to do anything special with the paint on the camaro, so I think its safe to assume the paint will be less than show quality. What can be done to get the best out of a factory paint job? I've done the whole wet-sand, cut, buff, wax thing before. Would it be beneficial to spray on additional clear coat? What do you guys think?
jhitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:07 PM   #2
blindingillusion

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt 2LT
Well, I have done one or two things for this depending on the situation and body material.

The first is a really good buffing out and waxing.

The second is detailing grit sandpaper and time, then some wax.

Either way you just need to learn the material you are working on and research the methods to fix it. With time and patience anything is fixable.
-Hurst Short Throw Shifter
-20" Polished Aluminum Wheels

Has Owned:
2008 Cobalt
1996 Monte Carlo
1988 Sierra
1979 LeSabre
blindingillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #3
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Hmm, orange peel texture is usually a sign of non-factory paint. My Cobalt's factory paint is pretty good. It certainly won't win awards, but it doesn't have any obvious flaws like that.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:04 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Just wax it and keep it clean. The more you keep it garaged and out of the sun, the less the paint will fade. There are places that do the extra clear coat. If you've got the extra cash, why not? heck, if I had lotsa extra cash, I'd do it.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 07:15 AM   #5
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
If you want to keep the original factory paint, Color sand and then reclear.

BuuUUUUuuut... at that point you're awfully close to a new pain job.... SO SPRAY SOME KICK A$$ FLAMES AND ROAST EM EVERY WHERE YOU GO!!!!!!!
AAAAHAAAAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAA!

yeah uhmm unless Tag's around...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #6
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
It will have the same texture as most other paints. ANY painting will produce some orange peel. I've worked at a bodyshop for several years and at a dealer several before, and it is due to the paint equipment that there is orange peel. Of course, too little clearcoat can produce orange peel too. Know that the OEM clearcoat is really thin, and by polishing, you are removing clearcoat. Also know that clearcoat protects the paint itself (the color) so by thinning the clearcoat you are removing protection from the sun and other elements. If you want flat paint, pay another $6K to paint the car and have a professional polish for several hours. Otherwise, just keep it waxed.

Another thing to think about is that orange peel will help conceal small inconsistancies in the sheetmetal, so unless you want to see every little imperfection, leave a little peel.

JMHO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #7
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
Arent some of the camaro's paint job's a three stage process? I know for a fact bumble bee is, but I thought the red was also and the orange.
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Camaro hasn't had three stage up to now. Bumblebee could and could not be three stage. A lot of Ford's red have been in the past. Not all reds or oranges are though ;D

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:49 PM   #9
Italianwhiplash

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger r/t
Well I know for a fact bumble bee is a three stage paint job. Just wondering if bumble bee's color will be an actual color..is my only concern. thats the perfect yellow in the world for me
Italianwhiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:59 PM   #10
09'Z28
The "Mad Hamster"

Drives: '71 Camaro, '90 mx5, '71 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Just wax it and keep it clean. The more you keep it garaged and out of the sun, the less the paint will fade. There are places that do the extra clear coat. If you've got the extra cash, why not? heck, if I had lotsa extra cash, I'd do it.
we can do it for you
Old 03-11-2008, 07:58 AM   #11
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Regarding the paint condition on the new Camaro, I plan on doing the following once my car arrives;

1. Ask the dealer not to remove the plastic, etc., before I take a look at the car/paint. To avoid any issue's over any possible "defects" in the paint, I'll allow them to hand wash the vehicle, and be present if possible.

2. I'll most likely bring the car home and go over it with a "fine tooth comb" to ensure the quailty and condition of the interior and exterior. And I'll probably wash it again myself.

3. Depending on the "build date" of the car (to determine the age of the paint) I'll determine if the paint has cured enough before going through the "Zaino process".

I've followed this process with my SS with alot of success.
Many times I'm asked if the car has received a professional repaint, and people are surprised to hear the paint is factory original.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #12
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhitson View Post
I was reading the thread about breaking in the engine and it made me think, don't know why though. I have bought bought 2 brand new vehicles from GM now. The paint on both vehicles were acceptable for a factory job. The s-10 had some bad orange peel especialy on the roof. I don't expect GM to do anything special with the paint on the camaro, so I think its safe to assume the paint will be less than show quality. What can be done to get the best out of a factory paint job? I've done the whole wet-sand, cut, buff, wax thing before. Would it be beneficial to spray on additional clear coat? What do you guys think?
I don't expect the Camaro paint treatment to be any different than vehicles like the Silverado or Malibu etc.

Only the Corvette gets the type of attention I think you are referring to

I use Zaino on my vehicles with great results. I'd think a nice clay bar and polish will be in order for any new Camaro
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:29 AM   #13
Emher
Pillaging Viking

Drives: Saab 9-5 '99 (Hey it's a GM!)
Send a message via MSN to Emher Send a message via Yahoo to Emher Send a message via Skype™ to Emher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianwhiplash View Post
Well I know for a fact bumble bee is a three stage paint job. Just wondering if bumble bee's color will be an actual color..is my only concern. thats the perfect yellow in the world for me
Pretty sure not, because it is too different apparantly and too timeconsuming to do compared to regular paintjobs. However fobodfather himself did say at one point that the paint on one of the Bumblebee concepts was called "sunrise" and is made by Valspar, so I'm planning to getting that when I have the money.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #14
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
The Bumblee paint is available, if GM doesn't offer it it could be applied aftermarket if you're so inclined

Valspar Automotive finishes, code PBC30 -- Sunrise Yellow
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote