Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-02-2008, 10:39 AM   #15
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Congoman775 View Post
A. they sell for msrp? where do you live? Mexico?

B. Quick pulley swap.... did you hear what happens to an LS3 with a Cam and tune?

C. THE MSRP OF A SHELBY GT500 IS $42,825. So lets say in a perfect (non-existant) world, where you could actually buy a shelby for MSRP (ha) you'd save... +-12,000.

twelve thousand? yea thats a real toss up for me...
I live in miami of all places and if after 3 years the price isnt at msrp then you must live on an island.

I thought the msrp was 39k guess it went up. Either way in your dream world the camaro will be 30k. The g8 gt with only 60 more hp is 29k fully loaded so take off like 2 for the 300 hp camaro and the price is 27 fully loaded. GM has never cared about the mustang and has sold its cars pricey IMO and the g8 gxp will be just under 40k so cmon I lvoe the camaro but 30k for an ls3? I dont think so. So the price difference wont be much. I dont like ford but their prices have always been the cheapest. Maybe cuz of the quality yu get>?
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:49 AM   #16
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin2323 View Post
I live in miami of all places and if after 3 years the price isnt at msrp then you must live on an island.

I thought the msrp was 39k guess it went up. Either way in your dream world the camaro will be 30k. The g8 gt with only 60 more hp is 29k fully loaded so take off like 2 for the 300 hp camaro and the price is 27 fully loaded. GM has never cared about the mustang and has sold its cars pricey IMO and the g8 gxp will be just under 40k so cmon I lvoe the camaro but 30k for an ls3? I dont think so. So the price difference wont be much. I dont like ford but their prices have always been the cheapest. Maybe cuz of the quality yu get>?
Ford isnt much of a benchmark for anyone.

BUT they sell. why? because they are cheap.

the Camaro is here to stay. MSRP 29,995 fully loaded 34k.

you heard it here.

And i live in naples (across the alley), and i visit the local ford dealership all the time. just because msrp is 42k doesnt mean the dealers dont order them with more add ons, to increase the msrp to 44-47k.

and even still... your talking about a 10-15 thousand dollar difference.
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:51 AM   #17
HOTCIVIC

Drives: Camaro
Buy new SS Camaro, add following modifications: cam, LTs, CAI and DRs. Then tune. Say bye-bye to GT500 and supercharged Challenger.
HOTCIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #18
HOTCIVIC

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by IROCZJEFF View Post
I was talking with one of the Mallett brothers the other day from www.mallettcars.com and they said that they have had to replace a number of LS3 motors they installed in there Solstice V8 cars. They said that the LS3 motors are terrible. Mallett's went back to LS2 power plants in there Mallett powered Solstices. They are planning on doing the new Camaro and possible LS7 converstions!!! That would be awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Must have been bad luck. The LS3 is a great motor. Better than the LS2 in every way.
HOTCIVIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:53 AM   #19
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOTCIVIC View Post
Buy new SS Camaro, add following modifications: cam, LTs, CAI and DRs. Then tune. Say bye-bye to GT500 and Challenger.
HOTCIVIC is right. Don't worry about the competition. The LS-series motor is notoriously responsive to modification. We will punish the so-called competition.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:58 AM   #20
IROCZJEFF

Drives: 69Z 70Z 85IROC-Z 911LE 97 SS
Aftermarket Parts

Like I said before aftermarket parts are great, but I would like a car to compete out of the box. On my 2004 GTO I had Kook's long tube headers, Corsa exhaust, Random Tech high flow cats, intake, tune etc... The check engine light was always on due to the high flow cats not getting hot enough. I didn't want to install sims incase I had a problem. I want something I can jump in and drive with a factory warranty like Ford has with the Shelby. You can do all the mods in the world but you will always be screwing with something. Just my two cents. IROCZJEFF

Quote:
Buy new SS Camaro, add following modifications: cam, LTs, CAI and DRs. Then tune. Say bye-bye to GT500 and Challenger.
IROCZJEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:09 AM   #21
kevin2323

[QUOTE=HOTCIVIC;123343]Buy new SS Camaro, add following modifications: cam, LTs, CAI and DRs. Then tune. Say bye-bye to GT500 and supercharged Challenger.
you are dreaming of a white christmas as the song says.

that also goes for congos 34k fully loaded number. why cant anyone argue the gxp comment I made. Cuz it is probably true.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 AM   #22
kevin2323

Quote:
Ford isnt much of a benchmark for anyone.

BUT they sell. why? because they are cheap.

the Camaro is here to stay. MSRP 29,995 fully loaded 34k.

you heard it here.

And i live in naples (across the alley), and i visit the local ford dealership all the time. just because msrp is 42k doesnt mean the dealers dont order them with more add ons, to increase the msrp to 44-47k.

and even still... your talking about a 10-15 thousand dollar difference.
BTW we should have a meet when we get our cars
Old 09-02-2008, 11:23 AM   #23
MajorTom

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Ummm the old challengers were re bodied chargers too, what is your point.

Old platform? If you think a 3-4 ear old platform is old, then what is the zeta platform ? OLD.

the v6 is better than the challenger and v6 explorer mustang but I really could care less about the v6 all of the chrysler engines out now are re-used engines wait till 2010. chrysler knows what they are doing.
Hey maybe you didn't know it, but Dodge got the chassis for the Charger and 300C from Mercedes. It's from the Mercedes E class. I think it was the outgoing model when they first made a Charger. The Zeta was made by GM Holden for GM and it's first use was in 2006. You're just upset because we're bashing your beloved Challenger which you don't even own. That means it's not too late to change your mind about your pony of choice. Lighter, faster, less expensive.

And I have an LS2 and can tell you it's a great motor. Unless there's some bizarre defect for the LS3, you can bet the LS3 will be better in every way. More power more displacement better flow. And if there was a bizarre defect (which I doubt), it'll surely get fixed as this is still early in the life of the LS3.

I believe it was Automobile that said the Camaro V6 chassis felt light years ahead of both the Mustang AND Challenger. They weren't just talking about V6 engines to V6 engines. They were comparing the V6 Camaro CHASSIS to the Chassis of the other cars. I'm buying V8 too, but it's obvious there's more to a car than an engine. The SRT-8 cars are supposed to handle "pretty well" for 2 ton cars. The Chassis on the Camaro is supposed to be light years ahead as far as responsiveness and feel.

And if the Camaro comes out at 30k it'll just sweeten the deal. Just because the Challenger is an overpriced car doesn't mean the Camaro will be.

On the subject of modding, the GT500 has the Camaro beat. A pulley swap takes about 10 minutes and with belt and quality pulley will cost you in the neighborhood of 300 dollars or so. You'll be on the road putting out more boost for about 500 bucks. A cam swap will cost you about 1500 dollars. Says my performance tuner for my GTO.

And MSRP has been 42k for the GT500 since it came out. There's been no increase. Some dealers are still selling them with markup but it's easier to get one at or close to MSRP now.
MajorTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:26 AM   #24
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
BTW we should have a meet when we get our cars
im game.

im at college right now, at UF up here in Gainesville, but i Live in naples.

haha how great would that be though?

We'd have to record it. ' The Camaro5 Comparison of Camaro SS and Challenger R/T'

i hope you handle defeat well

jk
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 11:28 AM   #25
MajorTom

[QUOTE=kevin2323;123368]
Quote:
Buy new SS Camaro, add following modifications: cam, LTs, CAI and DRs. Then tune. Say bye-bye to GT500 and supercharged Challenger.
you are dreaming of a white christmas as the song says.

that also goes for congos 34k fully loaded number. why cant anyone argue the gxp comment I made. Cuz it is probably true.
The GXP comment is just as flimsy. We don't know what it'll cost yet and there's no way they'd charge an extra 10k for an LS3 and better brakes. It's supposed to be the poor man's bmw, why would they put it out of the price range of the poor man. I guess you're just going by dodge's example though, right? Charger SRT-8 is 40k, Challenger SRT-8 is slightly more expensive. So Chevy couldn't possibly do better, right? That mercedes Chassis is apparently not cheap... Too bad it's clearly not worth the price.
Old 09-02-2008, 11:30 AM   #26
MajorTom

Quote:
im game.

im at college right now, at UF up here in Gainesville, but i Live in naples.

haha how great would that be though?

We'd have to record it. ' The Camaro5 Comparison of Camaro SS and Challenger R/T'

i hope you handle defeat well

jk

He's only buying the R/T? You don't need to joke about him handling defeat...
Old 09-02-2008, 11:51 AM   #27
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
He's only buying the R/T? You don't need to joke about him handling defeat...
lol I ordered an SRT8 lol dunno where he got a RT from, I guess that is congos dream match up

and Tom relax, I hate the fact that mercedes tampered with chrysler but I never said the ls3 would be defective lol. Relax I think your just mad becuase right now the main car to compare in price is not the srt8s difference to the rt but the g8 gxp which is basically close to what the camaro will be if not less and it comes in at just under 40k, if the camaro even comes in at 40k with the extra stuff it still is pricey but trust me I am rooting for you guys so you can rub it in my face .

Btw I knew about the mercedes chasis. I just tried to sneak it past you and play it off as it was first introduced a few years back with the charger and lx cars .
Old 09-02-2008, 12:00 PM   #28
kevin2323

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorTom View Post
Hey maybe you didn't know it, but Dodge got the chassis for the Charger and 300C from Mercedes. It's from the Mercedes E class. I think it was the outgoing model when they first made a Charger. The Zeta was made by GM Holden for GM and it's first use was in 2006. You're just upset because we're bashing your beloved Challenger which you don't even own. That means it's not too late to change your mind about your pony of choice. Lighter, faster, less expensive.

And I have an LS2 and can tell you it's a great motor. Unless there's some bizarre defect for the LS3, you can bet the LS3 will be better in every way. More power more displacement better flow. And if there was a bizarre defect (which I doubt), it'll surely get fixed as this is still early in the life of the LS3.

I believe it was Automobile that said the Camaro V6 chassis felt light years ahead of both the Mustang AND Challenger. They weren't just talking about V6 engines to V6 engines. They were comparing the V6 Camaro CHASSIS to the Chassis of the other cars. I'm buying V8 too, but it's obvious there's more to a car than an engine. The SRT-8 cars are supposed to handle "pretty well" for 2 ton cars. The Chassis on the Camaro is supposed to be light years ahead as far as responsiveness and feel.

And if the Camaro comes out at 30k it'll just sweeten the deal. Just because the Challenger is an overpriced car doesn't mean the Camaro will be.

On the subject of modding, the GT500 has the Camaro beat. A pulley swap takes about 10 minutes and with belt and quality pulley will cost you in the neighborhood of 300 dollars or so. You'll be on the road putting out more boost for about 500 bucks. A cam swap will cost you about 1500 dollars. Says my performance tuner for my GTO.

And MSRP has been 42k for the GT500 since it came out. There's been no increase. Some dealers are still selling them with markup but it's easier to get one at or close to MSRP now.
TOM STOP MAKING ME CRY ABOUT CHRYSLER, YEA THEY WERE GOING TO CHANGE THE PLATFORM BUT THEN SOLD THE COMPANY MAN....JUST STOP, STOP THE MADNESS!!

the camaro is lighter, faster, and probably less expensive but it doesnt have the looks to me, and that is real talk.