Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 08-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
stt816

Drives: 2012 Black 2SS/RS M6
Question Get an SS to be like 1LE?

I see the 1LE is coming out soon, but what would it take for the SS to compete with it? Practical ways, not changing transmissions and things like that....
stt816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Dalefj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2ss
There are numerous lists of all the differences the 1LE has but I would think the two biggest and most noticeable upgrades besides the transmission would be the bigger sway bars and ZL1 rims/tires. After that you can also upgrade the shocks and install a short throw shifter kit. But most importantly don't forget to paint your brakes red, that will make the biggest performance difference.
Dalefj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Pretty sure the 1LE has the same trans as the LS3/SS, so basically get the suspension components, wider tires, and lighter rims. You will out do it if you buy good aftermarket suspension components also.

It has electric assist steering too, which is standard on the 2013 SS.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Pretty sure the 1LE has the same trans as the LS3/SS, so basically get the suspension components, wider tires, and lighter rims. You will out do it if you buy good aftermarket suspension components also.

It has electric assist steering too, which is standard on the 2013 SS.
Different transmission and rear end gears.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
malave7567

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post

3.91 rear end gears if I remember correctly and closer-ratio'ed tranny for road racing.
malave7567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #6
1LEE

Drives: 2007 Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Correct.

It shares the same trans as the Z06.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stt816 View Post
I see the 1LE is coming out soon, but what would it take for the SS to compete with it? Practical ways, not changing transmissions and things like that....
If you're talking about on track performance then I expect the most noticeable difference will be moving to the 1LE square tire setup vs. the SS's current 245 F, 275 R setup. The SS's weakness on the track is understeer, and moving to a square setup will go a very long way toward curing it.

Beyond that adding the various 1LE suspension components, or better aftermarket components will make a big difference. You want to be careful here because you probably don't want to end up with a car that is no longer comfortable on the street.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:58 PM   #8
Hellfighter

Drives: 2013 Black ZL1
How much more HP can the 1LE handle than a stock SS on the tranny., this has been on my mind since bought a Tvs2300 Supercharger, does the LE get beefed up axles , diffrential tranny and shaft? that can handle aswell without worry like DSS Shafts or 1000 Hp axles or aftermarket diff's?
Old 08-02-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
That thing is a beast.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
If you're talking about on track performance then I expect the most noticeable difference will be moving to the 1LE square tire setup vs. the SS's current 245 F, 275 R setup. The SS's weakness on the track is understeer, and moving to a square setup will go a very long way toward curing it.

Beyond that adding the various 1LE suspension components, or better aftermarket components will make a big difference. You want to be careful here because you probably don't want to end up with a car that is no longer comfortable on the street.
Most definitely the square wheel setup. I just moved to the same size as the 1E after tearing up the Pirelli setup on the track. The wider stance combined with more tire provides so much better handling. Combine that with an upgraded suspension and you've got an awesome car.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #11
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Change over to 3.91 gears. Add some good aftermarket swaybars or do the ZL1 conversion that Pedders does. Add some good Trailing Arms/Toe Rods. Add some better bushings in your craddle, rear end, and radius rods. Get some coilovers. Switch to some lighter weight wheels. If you snap an axle then replace it with one from a 1LE. Upgrade your shifter to an MGW or something similar. Upgrade your brake pads, add stainless brake lines, and upgrade to DOT4 fluid.

Do all that and you should be real close to having 1LE specs.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #12
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
See sig.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Change over to 3.91 gears. Add some good aftermarket swaybars or do the ZL1 conversion that Pedders does. Add some good Trailing Arms/Toe Rods. Add some better bushings in your craddle, rear end, and radius rods. Get some coilovers. Switch to some lighter weight wheels. If you snap an axle then replace it with one from a 1LE. Upgrade your shifter to an MGW or something similar. Upgrade your brake pads, add stainless brake lines, and upgrade to DOT4 fluid.

Do all that and you should be real close to having 1LE specs.
I have done pretty much that aside from the gears and axles, I believe my current setup would out-handle a stock 1LE, not even close. GM should have lowered both the ZL1 and 1LE. I lined up with a ZL1 yesterday and sitting in my car I was looking up at him. That's the kind of stuff that shows even though GM made improvements, the aftermarket is there to make it even better.

I was looking at a new Mustang GT at the track too. He had a track package in it that came with Ricaro seats. Now why doesn't GM offer something like that in the 1LE package. Our stock seats aren't good for hard cornering.

Last edited by bannonm; 08-26-2012 at 08:42 PM.
bannonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Tires and rims make a big difference, but the durability is where the 1LE shines. The bearings are a MUST if you track. Also, with those bearings being the same as the ZL1, the 1LE is ALSO missing the brake dust shield..... another MUST for track (brake cooling).

The sway bars and suspension is of course where it is at and the stuff above are improvements to components that take a beating due to the extra lat g's and force the car will see.

In my opinion though, the transmission is a huge deal. That is a nice trans in the 1LE, again with track durability in mind. Keep in mind you get all this for $3500 and then figure out how much it would cost an SS to get to that level of performance with aftermarket parts.........

As far as lowering, I understand that majority of performance folks are amazed as to why GM doesn't lower it more etc. but keep in mind these OEM's have to consider the people that will never hit the track, ride on rough roads, with their familiy inside and still have a safe enough car in a bad road situation. However, I am certain that the ride is a huge deal and I am certain no lowered camaro will ever drive as nice as a stock one. Lower = stiffer, it has to or else you will start bottoming out.

Your car looks amazing by the way, seriously. Go get the bearings.....

Better seats would be nice for a track car, I must admit.
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote