Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-24-2013, 11:33 AM   #15
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
IPS is first class...cant go wrong.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #16
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
We are local to agp and can only speak from experience on seeing the kit in person. it's perfectly made and performs flawlessly! need any pricing let us know
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #17
CyberPredator
50 Shades of Prey

Drives: TT/SS
Honestly the situation your in is a good one. You are currently stuck in a "Win Win" situation. I've had my IPS kit for 2.5 years and 25,XXX miles and I love it. The kit had some things missing when I got it because I was one of the first but they rectified the situation without any conflict and even overnighted the lines to me. But what I would like to tell you is to go for the full blown version. The reason I say this is because you mentioned building it down the road. I went the same route and I tell you this from experience in a car this heavy when you put down $7000+ dollars to build an engine you are not going to be satisfied with 50 or so more horsepower.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:15 PM   #18
killmode_on

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
WARNING!!! I am totally biased for AGP so take this for whatever you can get out of it. Could be wrong on some points, but I'm pretty sure.

First of all you are comparing IPS entry level 800whp kit to AGP's full 1000whp kit. Keep in mind when you add fuel, ceramic and powder coating to the IPS entry kit, it's is $650 more than AGP's full kit. And even then still doesn't include as much. What you are getting with the AGP kit is more of an OEM quality kit where you get more for le$$ because the volume manufacturing. AGP has built and shipped thousands and thousands of turbo kits for many years and is in a manufacturing position to invest up front to produce what would be a $12,000 kit, but for much much less.

Differences in the kits-
Like camarostar2010 said above, his IPS kit hangs below the frame of the car and can be problematic on rough roads, especially on lowered cars. The AGP kit is all tucked up higher, nothing hanging lower than the frame.
AGP kit comes with a little bigger, higher flowing turbos w/ 3" v-band outlets that help them spool faster and make more power than the smaller Garrett's in IPS's kit.
AGP kit comes with the larger higher flowing piping and intercooler
With AGP you get a choice of two intercooler sizes, a big one or a HUGE one. Same price.
Cast iron manifold adaptors in the AGP kit are certainly an advantage for heat retention and durability/longevity.
IPS kit has air filters much lower to the ground, right on the turbo. AGP has short intakes that keep the filters up and out of any water.
AGP comes with heat shields, dual PCV breather/catch cans, ZR1 iridium plugs, 3bar map sensor, ceramic coating and powder coating all standard.
The AGP charge pipe has 4 aux npt bungs right before the TB for breakout IAT. Meth inj. etc
AGP kits have been shipping to dealers and fit right, bolt on easy and make power. IPS is still gearing up to be able to ship.

Not sure these details on IPS but-
AGP's kit-
no drilling or tapping any part of the engine for oil feed and return
oil feeds to the turbos are from a filtered oil source off the engine
oil return has secondary filter for the oil returning to your engine

Old 07-24-2013, 05:19 PM   #19
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Drives: 2011 1SS, 1LT red,1LT/RS SGM 98Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by killmode_on View Post
WARNING!!! I am totally biased for AGP so take this for whatever you can get out of it. Could be wrong on some points, but I'm pretty sure.

First of all you are comparing IPS entry level 800whp kit to AGP's full 1000whp kit. Keep in mind when you add fuel, ceramic and powder coating to the IPS entry kit, it's is $650 more than AGP's full kit. And even then still doesn't include as much. What you are getting with the AGP kit is more of an OEM quality kit where you get more for le$$ because the volume manufacturing. AGP has built and shipped thousands and thousands of turbo kits for many years and is in a manufacturing position to invest up front to produce what would be a $12,000 kit, but for much much less.

Differences in the kits-
Like camarostar2010 said above, his IPS kit hangs below the frame of the car and can be problematic on rough roads, especially on lowered cars. The AGP kit is all tucked up higher, nothing hanging lower than the frame.
AGP kit comes with a little bigger, higher flowing turbos w/ 3" v-band outlets that help them spool faster and make more power than the smaller Garrett's in IPS's kit.
AGP kit comes with the larger higher flowing piping and intercooler
With AGP you get a choice of two intercooler sizes, a big one or a HUGE one. Same price.
Cast iron manifold adaptors in the AGP kit are certainly an advantage for heat retention and durability/longevity.
IPS kit has air filters much lower to the ground, right on the turbo. AGP has short intakes that keep the filters up and out of any water.
AGP comes with heat shields, dual PCV breather/catch cans, ZR1 iridium plugs, 3bar map sensor, ceramic coating and powder coating all standard.
The AGP charge pipe has 4 aux npt bungs right before the TB for breakout IAT. Meth inj. etc
AGP kits have been shipping to dealers and fit right, bolt on easy and make power. IPS is still gearing up to be able to ship.

Not sure these details on IPS but-
AGP's kit-
no drilling or tapping any part of the engine for oil feed and return
oil feeds to the turbos are from a filtered oil source off the engine
oil return has secondary filter for the oil returning to your engine

Will the turbos on the AGP support up to 1200 rwhp on a big breathing LSX427. See sig line. I was looking at PTE6766 journal bearing units. How do the turbos in the AGP kit compare. No sales pitch please, no BS, just the facts. Looking for 1000rwhp initially at 18psi then up to 1200rwhp with obivously higher boost. Lag time on the PTE6766 should not be an issue with my motor. I am new to the turbo world and am trying to learn before i pull the trigger so to speak (if that offends some.....well you know what you can do)
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
BullF-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #20
killmode_on

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
Will the turbos on the AGP support up to 1200 rwhp on a big breathing LSX427. See sig line. I was looking at PTE6766 journal bearing units. How do the turbos in the AGP kit compare. No sales pitch please, no BS, just the facts. Looking for 1000rwhp initially at 18psi then up to 1200rwhp with obivously higher boost. Lag time on the PTE6766 should not be an issue with my motor. I am new to the turbo world and am trying to learn before i pull the trigger so to speak (if that offends some.....well you know what you can do)

The standard turbos in the AGP kit will not support that level of power. $800 upgrade to get the S261's would. You should contact AGP directly to talk about it. AGP could make PTE turbos fit or whatever you really want. Soooooo many choices in turbos.

Last edited by killmode_on; 07-24-2013 at 05:51 PM.
killmode_on is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:06 PM   #21
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

We are going to be doing a agp kit on a camaro w/ S261 turbo's and it will support 1200rwhp BullF-16 if i can be of any assistance let me know. AGP is literally down the street from me so i'm here to help if i can.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #22
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe@CPR.com View Post
We are going to be doing a agp kit on a camaro w/ S261 turbo's and it will support 1200rwhp BullF-16 if i can be of any assistance let me know. AGP is literally down the street from me so i'm here to help if i can.
Damn, wish i was still at Luke AFB
HKE LSX427(Mast blk lbl 305 6bolt LS7heads, PatG231/246 blower cam, RWHP/TQ: 1281/1133 SNL Performance Custom Twin PT6766 BB turbos 4 to 25psi selectable on the Boost Leash controller, Squash dual 400LPH/ID2000s, ALKY 4 gal meth, Autometer AFR/Bst/oilpres/oiltemp/fuelpress gauges, Pedders Justice road crs pkg: All HD bushes, supercar 12kg coil overs, supercar ZL1 sways, camber plates all setup by JusticePete! :Gforce 9" 35spline S-Trac, 1500hp Outlaw axles, 3.5"alum DS, Monster Triple disc; 4xForgeline 19x10.5 4xBridgestone 305/30R19 RE-11, CTS-v calipers/rotors/Cobalt friction XR1/3 pads
Old 07-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #23
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Bull, like Joe said, 261s will, or even bigger. What do you want is the question? If you really want PTEs, just pay the difference. Want GT35rs, or whatever. AGP has their own billet badass turbos that would be my choice if I had a kit. A pair of Zeta 3.0s or something like that.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:44 PM   #24
BullF-16
USAF retired! Thank God!

Thanks Nick, now that i am done with my suspension and just added 6 piston calipers and huge rotors i am starting to address the TT. My shop is a distributor for PTE and highly recommends them but i am researching my options.

I know i want the compressor to be 67mm inducer and 87 exducer and turbine to be 77mm inducer and 66mm exducer. Or in the ball park. i figure this is what would make my motor happy and would not require spinning the turbos to crazy levels. This would also allow flexibility for future endeavours. NOw need to figure out the A/R for my 99% street car.

also cast OEM manifolds, shortys or custom fabbed? Thats another issue altogether.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 PM   #25
Matt @ FSP

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
See our latest AGP build thread... New 376ci forged motor so we didnt tax on it, 8.8:1 compression made 700+ (12.2psi upstairs) at 6100rpms through an automatic with 17* timing & 10.9:1 AFR. We'll be bringing it back in soon, but the fuel system is limited so we can see mid 700's at 13-15psi. If we had the fuel system I dont see any reason why these "small" turbos won't push 800rwhp through a 6L80E, and that's over 900rwhp in the manual's.. Now add another 5psi and see what else can be done

We are using the S256 turbos on our shop car build, 417ci. Should be seeing 25psi and I don't doubt we'll make 850+ rwhp through a TH400...
Matt @ FSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #26
Unreal

Drives: 2006 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullF-16 View Post
Thanks Nick, now that i am done with my suspension and just added 6 piston calipers and huge rotors i am starting to address the TT. My shop is a distributor for PTE and highly recommends them but i am researching my options.

I know i want the compressor to be 67mm inducer and 87 exducer and turbine to be 77mm inducer and 66mm exducer. Or in the ball park. i figure this is what would make my motor happy and would not require spinning the turbos to crazy levels. This would also allow flexibility for future endeavours. NOw need to figure out the A/R for my 99% street car.

also cast OEM manifolds, shortys or custom fabbed? Thats another issue altogether.
If you don't want to deal with cracking, cast is the only way to go.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #27
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

The factory ls3 manifolds flow extremely well and being cast will provide years of trouble free performance. Don't get me wrong tubular is gorgeous!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-25-2013, 12:38 AM   #28
Unobtainium
Fabricator

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post
If you don't want to deal with cracking, cast is the only way to go.
That's not entirely accurate. These manifolds were not designed with Turbo heat or support in mind. Cast manifolds steal and subsequently store a bunch of heat, and then radiate it outwards. Coatings help, heat shields do the same.
If you don't want any cracking, and the least amount of heat stolen from the system, thin wall inconel manifolds with a good coating are best.
393whp L99
GPI VVT Turbo Cam-in
Unobtainium is offline   Reply With Quote