Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-05-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
Dans2SS

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
constant brake squeal and getting dealer to understand.

So I didn't get to drive the camaro much over the winter so this wasn't noticed as much. I did take it to the dealer at the end of last year for this and it "couldn't be duplicated'.

I have a 60 mile drive one way for work and i take the Camaro at least once a week weather permitting. I've noticed as I drive if there is something to reflect the sound I hear a squeal/squeak on the drivers side (could be both but I can't hear pass side). its constant and if i touch the brakes it turns to to a high pitch brake squeal that goes away with pedal pressure.

I also have a rattle that sounds like a chain rattling when I hit certain bumps. Mainly like the transistion from a brindge to the road when the road is lower. Seems if the suspension extends then compresses i hear it. Not if the suspension is compressed first. If that makes sense.

I'm thinking the 2 are related. I wish I had my friends laser temp guage so I could tell id a rotor is hotter than the others. I'm guessing it have to be if the broake is rubbing enough to make a noise. Anyone have an idea what it could be or the best way to get the dealer to listen and not try to write it off with the 'can't duplicate' answer?
Old 06-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #2
L99SS

Drives: '10 Camaro IOM
I notice this as well. It sounds like mine's coming from the front driver's side. It's as if the pad is riding the rotor just a hair. It goes away after braking, but comes back after a short while. I figure the road vibrations work the pad out again.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:22 PM   #3
Dans2SS

It can't be right though. I had windows an sunroof open and the radio at 25 on Octane and was still hearing it.
Old 06-05-2011, 10:54 PM   #4
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
Try doing a few really hard stops and see if it continues. I mean jam them at about 60mph. Needless to mention, make sure no one is behind you!
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
khalsa013

Drives: 2ss & ZL1
Send a message via AIM to khalsa013 Send a message via Yahoo to khalsa013 Send a message via Skype™ to khalsa013
ya mine happen when its up my driveway (slant) and i let it coast down and hold the brakes little bit and BAM sqeeking? normal?
khalsa013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
How many miles on the car, and what transmission do you have?

If you hear the squeal when you're not braking, and then it goes away when you apply the brakes, it could be the wear indicator (feeler gauge) on the pad(s). If so, you're running out of pad surface. You can check it by visually inspecting the pads (you shouldn't even need to remove the wheel). There is a metal tab attached to the pad backing plate, which extends beyond the edge of the pad surface, where it makes a 90-degree bend toward the rotor. If this tab is touching the rotor, it makes a high-pitched noise until you apply enough brake pressure to press it hard against the rotor, at which time the squeal will usually stop. This means you need to replace the pad.

If you drive an L99, the rattle you're hearing as you go over bumps could be the resonator banging against the tunnel brace. This is very common, and can easily be corrected by adding washers on the back side of the brace to create more clearance for the resonator.

If you only have a few thousand miles on the car and/or it's an LS3, disregard everything in the previous two paragraphs. We're back to square one.

Last edited by kmcd; 06-06-2011 at 12:01 AM.
kmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:12 AM   #7
Dans2SS

Car has 12K on it with the LS3/6-spd. The brakes have always had the squeal, I'm one of the wheel weights on the the caliper group. So I've always gotten the 'noise is normal with these' answer. I would buy that I need new pads only because I'm sure the pad constantly rubbing the rotor is wearing it uneven.

The squeal when I'm not braking seems almost always stop after hitting the brakes semi to hard on the pedal.. What I mean is if your cruising down the road and the cars in front of you brake check. Depending on how hard I hit mine the noise seems to be gone for a little while. Then something bounces or shifts and its back.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:09 AM   #8
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Lube all the contact points with disc brake lube. Caliper to bracket, pads to caliper... I did mine over a year ago, no noise since. You have to remove the calipers, clean up all those contact points, and then spread a little of the disc brake grease on all points where metal to metal contact is. The noise is high speed itching/vibration between metal parts.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #9
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
Lube all the contact points with disc brake lube. Caliper to bracket, pads to caliper... I did mine over a year ago, no noise since. You have to remove the calipers, clean up all those contact points, and then spread a little of the disc brake grease on all points where metal to metal contact is. The noise is high speed itching/vibration between metal parts.
This is absolutely the case. I finally cured mine by doing this (I even lubed the pins for the retention spring and the spring itself, where it contacts the backing plates for the pads).

If you think you have a pad that's rubbing excessively (keep in mind they always make light contact with the rotor), you should be able to determine this, again, by checking the relative wear on each pad. If you find one that's obviously worn more than the others, you may have a sticky piston. Remove that pad, depress the brake pedal (no boost) to force the pistons for that pad all the way out, then clean and lube them before pushing them back into the caliper.

You may have to remove the caliper to gain good access to the pistons, which would be a good time to take the steps Russel James outlined above. Keep in mind that the caliper-to-bracket mounting bolts are "torque to yield" and should not be reused. The new ones will come with the loctite already applied, and you torque them to 30 ft/lbs plus another 90 degrees of rotation.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: These pistons are easy to push back in because our calipers have four small pistons instead of one big one. You don't need to use a "c" clamp when reseating them, as this can be done by hand, using the pad or a piece of wood.
Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 AM   #10
Dans2SS

Thanks for the info guys. you all don't think the noise I'm hearing on bumps is related to the brake noise do you?
Old 06-07-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Dans2SS, I hope these suggestions here are helping you. Has your dealer come back with anything on what might be the case for you or have you let them know to check what has been suggested? Thank you for your time.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans2SS View Post
Thanks for the info guys. you all don't think the noise I'm hearing on bumps is related to the brake noise do you?
It's hard to say. Try getting under the car and searching for anything that's loose. Shake things, and tap around the brake and suspension components with a rubber mallet.

I suppose even the LS3 exhaust could be banging against the tunnel brace, although this is normally a problem associated with the huge resonator on the L99. Grab the pipes next to the brace and see if you can pull them down enough to make contact.

Let us know what you find.
Old 06-07-2011, 08:08 PM   #13
Dans2SS

Jeff,
I took the car to the dealer last year about the brake noice and got the 'can't duplicate' answer. I'm going to make it clear that isn't an acceptible answer this time around. the bump noise is new. Car has appt on Thursday and they can keep her as long as it takes to fix. I really appreciate that someone like you is on here to see whats going on and helping.

KMCD,
I just changed the oil and was poking around. Wasn't able to duplicate the noise at all. knowing GMs love for TTY bolts I wasnt' sure snugging anything up would be the best idea.
Old 06-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #14
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
I hope they're able to get you all taken care of Dan. I'll wait for your update.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote