Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-07-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
whiplash

Drives: Silver 2SS RS LS3
DEALERSHIPS Borla "X" Pipe install

I got a quote today from my dealership to install the GM Performance "Track Pack" Exhaust Upgrade Package with Round Tips part# 92231570 with a Borla X pipe for $1099 installed. However, when I looked up the prices of the parts online they were much higher… The GM 92231570 is $995 and the Borla X pipe $727.

I called my dealer back and the parts department told me what they‘re doing for $1099 is installing the Borla X-pipe and the GM Track Pack Exhaust Upgrade Package. The pipe in between the Xpipe and GM mufflers are stock pipes and all they do is remove the silencers. Huuumm!

But I can say that it sounded awesome!! They have an LS3 on the lot with this exact setup and what a BIG difference from stock! It has a deep loud roar… like a freakin angry dragon! And HUGE 4.5" chrome tips to fill in the fascia holes. In addition, it was more responsive than my LS3. :(

So I called Borla and they said it’s basically their Stainless Steel Cat-Back System "S-Type" Part# 140280 that retails for $1450. They said the GM Performance Upgrade Exhaust is built by Borla. Now I noticed the new Borla Atak system Part# 140356 for another $150. Whats the difference in performance?

I also had a conversation with the folks at JDP Motorsports and they advised me to go with the MagnaFlow #16483 with a “true” X-pipe giving a deep sound. JDP stated that Borla does not have a true X-pipe. I was also told to look at the MagnaFlow #16580 a little cheaper with a raspier sound.

So now I’m all confused… I thought I was set with the GM Track Package exhaust with Borla X-pipe from my dealer.

Thanks
whiplash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
jabbar

Drives: 300C
Watch the vid in this thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73745

I went through the same phase you are in right now. Thought I wanted the GMPP exhaust, then the S-type, considered X-pipe with muffler delete, and then I heard the atak. That's all she wrote. lol

And BTW ignore retail prices directly Borla, you're guaranteed a huge discount buying from a third party.
jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
I got a quote today from my dealership to install the GM Performance "Track Pack" Exhaust Upgrade Package with Round Tips part# 92231570 with a Borla X pipe for $1099 installed. However, when I looked up the prices of the parts online they were much higher… The GM 92231570 is $995 and the Borla X pipe $727.

I called my dealer back and the parts department told me what they‘re doing for $1099 is installing the Borla X-pipe and the GM Track Pack Exhaust Upgrade Package. The pipe in between the Xpipe and GM mufflers are stock pipes and all they do is remove the silencers. Huuumm!

But I can say that it sounded awesome!! They have an LS3 on the lot with this exact setup and what a BIG difference from stock! It has a deep loud roar… like a freakin angry dragon! And HUGE 4.5" chrome tips to fill in the fascia holes. In addition, it was more responsive than my LS3. :(

So I called Borla and they said it’s basically their Stainless Steel Cat-Back System "S-Type" Part# 140280 that retails for $1450. They said the GM Performance Upgrade Exhaust is built by Borla. Now I noticed the new Borla Atak system Part# 140356 for another $150. Whats the difference in performance?

I also had a conversation with the folks at JDP Motorsports and they advised me to go with the MagnaFlow #16483 with a “true” X-pipe giving a deep sound. JDP stated that Borla does not have a true X-pipe. I was also told to look at the MagnaFlow #16580 a little cheaper with a raspier sound.

So now I’m all confused… I thought I was set with the GM Track Package exhaust with Borla X-pipe from my dealer.

Thanks
I got the 16579 from JDP. There should be a warning label on it that says one notch louder than stock.

I got a true xpipe from JDP and had my shop cut out the resonated x and replace with the unresonated xpipe.

WOW. It's now perfect for my tastes. A bit louder on idle and rive and wicked on WOT. it's not the loudest setup, but i didn't want super loud.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
whiplash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbar View Post
Watch the vid in this thread:
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73745

I went through the same phase you are in right now. Thought I wanted the GMPP exhaust, then the S-type, considered X-pipe with muffler delete, and then I heard the atak. That's all she wrote. lol

And BTW ignore retail prices directly Borla, you're guaranteed a huge discount buying from a third party.
Wow the Atak system does sound awesome! But it might be too loud to hold a conversation with someone in the cabin and what about drone?

Is there more power gains with the Atak vs. S-type?

The SS I heard at the dealership the other day sounded exactly like the S-type on the Borla demo.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
whiplash

What about deleting everything from the cat back... running straight pipes is there any advantages other than cost?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
jabbar

Drives: 300C
From what I heard David say about it in that video I'm sold on it and I will be hooking that system up to my camaro the first day I get it.

As far as doing straight pipes you save big on cost and some wieght is shed from the car. Performance wise, I really don't know. But if your concerned about sound then doing straight pipes will have that popping and gurgling on deceleration. I don't know if that's good or bad to you but on acceleration and idle straight pipes sound mean too.
jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Hmmm.....it's all a personal preference thing but I liked the sound of the S-type a lot better than the ATAK. To me the ATAK sounded kind of weird. Almost like a loose muffler on a whole in the muffler. I know it's not but that's just what it reminded me of. I also know that the video cameras can make the sound of different than in person so I would have to hear one in person to give a real opinion. Even then what I think sounds good others won't like and vice versa.

As far as the decel popping goes....I would be willing to bet all three of these exhaust systems will have it. The popping is even there with the factory systems, you just don't hear it as much because the exhaust is so quiet. Make the exhaust louder and you're going to hear it more. I'm just saying....don't buy one of these systems thinking the popping won't be there. Go listen to one in person and I would be willing to bet you'll still hear it.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:08 PM   #8
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Why are they calling it a GM Track Pack? I would hardly call that a track package. It's a pipe change. When I think track pack, I think suspension. Does that seem weird to anyone else?
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:54 AM   #9
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Because it's not street legal for noise regulations. AKA off road only, which marketing people spin into Track Pack. It's like calling stripes - Rally Stripes. Your not really going to use them in a Rally race. Marketing folks picked a fancy name for it.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 05:54 AM   #10
goodiem18

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Inferno Orange
I agree......"track pack" is the wrong wording for an exhaust upgrade....

To me a track pack would be performance upgrades like a stiffer suspension and new rubber or something.....like they offer on the stangs..
goodiem18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:51 AM   #11
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Don't go without a X-Pipe. I had the resonator cut out and went straight back with the GMPP street exhaust. Sound awesome and loud. But lost about 50LBs of torque and HP. She would not spin the tires or push me back in my seat like she did with the resonator on.

So put just a X-Pipe in and it quieted down alot but got my tire spinning and maybe even some more torque and hp since the resonator was not bogging it down anymore. X-Pipe has to be there for balancing the engine banks is what Ted at Jannetty Racing told me.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 08:10 AM   #12
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The GMPP "off road" axle back and the Borla S type axle back are basically the same exhaust.
The GMPP just uses different exhaust tips. They are both fairly aggressive exhausts.

Before you spend $1000+ for an axle back + x pipe, you should consider buying a full catback exhaust.

Also, before you consider doing a muffler delete, you need to think about your future plans. If you decide to add Long tube headers (best mod for a Camaro), your car will be ridiculously loud (way too loud for most people). Long tubes make your exhaust much louder.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:45 PM   #13
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott@Bjorn3D View Post
Don't go without a X-Pipe. I had the resonator cut out and went straight back with the GMPP street exhaust. Sound awesome and loud. But lost about 50LBs of torque and HP. She would not spin the tires or push me back in my seat like she did with the resonator on.

So put just a X-Pipe in and it quieted down alot but got my tire spinning and maybe even some more torque and hp since the resonator was not bogging it down anymore. X-Pipe has to be there for balancing the engine banks is what Ted at Jannetty Racing told me.
Scott, I have an L99, with muffler delete. It sounds good, but I want to try and remove some drone while cruising highway speeds, and if it could sound a bit more aggressive I will deal with it. I am looking at deleting the resonator, and replacing with an "X pipe". Is this what you did? Do you have mufflers after the resonator?

Is it to loud driving through the neighborhood? Will you be at C5Fest? Can I check it out?
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:29 AM   #14
whiplash

After hearing the Borla Atak setup, I think this is the exhaust I will be ordering. Now I have to find a good deal on them.