Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-07-2011, 10:17 AM   #1
awh3r

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1
ZL1 hood question

Those of you who have seen the ZL1, is the height of the hood cowl higher than the SS hood. In some pictures it appears to be taller?
awh3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
GM said it was lighter, but like a couple other statements they made on the day of the reveal, I question if they mis-spoke... It seems higher to me, too, but I can't really tell. They did say it was modified to clear the blower, however, it's clear the front is raised, however, the rear is still a question, for me. If it is higher, it's probably in terms of a few centimeters, if anything. I know I wouldn't mind it an inch or two higher, but it looks perfect how it is

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:20 AM   #3
Joebot8484
ZL1 # 1307

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1, 2008 Hummzilla H3
I've seen it twice on person and can't tell if its taller. If only Scott would let me get closer...
Old 07-07-2011, 01:24 PM   #4
awh3r

Drives: 2018 Black ZL1
I had a 72 SS Chevelle many years ago and the height of the cowl on that car was higher than the Camaro or it appeared to be. The Chevelle had hide away wipers and I believe that probably enhanced the prominence of the cowl because there was a clear view from in the car. The 2 may very well be the same height.
awh3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:17 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I seem to remember hearing something a while ago about the LSA not fitting under the stock Camaro hood, so it would make sense for it to be a tad higher on the ZL1 to accommodate. They had the same issue on the Corvette ZR1
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 AM   #6
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
I think the issue with the LSA was it interfered with the cowl area of the Camaro, but it cleared the hood with no problem. The rear of the intercooler was modified to fit the engine bay, that's why the cover is different as it's installed in the CTS-V.

Last edited by RLHMARINES; 07-08-2011 at 03:50 AM.
RLHMARINES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #7
BakerSprSprt

Drives: 86 Monte Carlo SS 10' Camaro 2LT/RS
Look at the side view of the ZL1, i dont know if its taller, but from back to front it stays taller longer, if that makes since.

1986 MONTE CARLO SS 4BBL 350 5.7L (383,000 Mi)
1979 Camaro Berlinetta 4BBL LM1 350 (Mostly Orig except paint, wheels and radio) last tires were bought in 93'
2010 Camaro 2LT/WRS RS(SIM, black interior, polished wheels, Black rally stripes AND Black hockey stripes)
BakerSprSprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I seem to remember hearing something a while ago about the LSA not fitting under the stock Camaro hood, so it would make sense for it to be a tad higher on the ZL1 to accommodate. They had the same issue on the Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLHMARINES View Post
I think the issue with the LSA was it interfered with the cowl area of the Camaro, but it cleared the hood with no problem. The rear of the intercooler was modified to fit the engine bay, that's why the cover is different as it's installed in the CTS-V.
^^^ THESE ^^^

I believe one of reasons for the hood window on ZR1 was to give more clearance to the upper plenum. That's how it was posted from the source I read it, but it seems to me it was more for cosmetics. I know that there were minimum and maximum distances Team Corvette had to adhere to (that is, when looking across the hood from the inside of the car, one had a maximum of 15-feet in front of the car could be blocked by the hood, and no
more) for viewing in front of the car, but the way the information was posted, they made it seem like the thinness of the window enabled clearance at the top of the plenum to the underside of the hood. I'm not sure how much of that was true, but that's what I've read, and some of it makes sense.

I remember Uncle Robin had to modify the upper plenun to clear the cowl. The like flipped the plenum around and cut it up a little or something, too. I think the front of the raised area was to just blend the extractor insert into the hood better. I'm sure the extractor scoops needed to be high enough to clear the engine bay parts, so they needed to push the hood up around the insert to blend it in better.

Honestly, I first thought it could be any better with the Leno hood. I liked it's functionality, and though it was clearly different than SS, it wasn't ricey and was subtle. I was wrong, though, because this hood is even more functional, bolt, not ricey, and just adds more style without jumping out too much. I'm not much of a flat or matte color person on cars, but I think it's a great accent and makes the vents pop out a little less, going toward my thoughts on how "un-ricey" it comes across.

It's hard to say, but it seems a touch higher, but I don't have a good side profile of SS to try to compare

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

I have noticed in the past that it looks like Team CAMARO has almost flipped the intercooler on ZL1. In CTS-V, the inlet and outlet enter/exit at the back, against the cowl, where on ZL1, in inlet/outlet are on the front. FYI
Attached Images

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"