Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #29
Curley4301

Drives: 2011 2SS Summit White
Oil Changes

I use the Oil Life indicator on my SS, and change when it gets to around 10-15%. On my other vehicles I go 5000mi because it's easy to remember. It's worked well - my Suburban has 187K with no motor issues.
Curley4301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 11:54 PM   #30
AdamEL
Adam E. Lucchesi

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS LS3 VR
Send a message via AIM to AdamEL
Lots of variables with that question, and the answer is totally dependent on how much you're driving, how hard you drive it, and what oil you use. Even if you drive just a little bit, the time frame of the oil change is still important.
AdamEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 12:32 AM   #31
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
my oil Amsoil signature series is rated for 25,000 miles Amsoil filter 15,000. or one year. I change it every year. I put 6k on it this year. but car is new so its been changed 3 times in the 1st 1500
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 08:23 AM   #32
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
For my daily driver I change it every 3,000 miles regardless of the oil level. For my stored cars (that never see 3,000 miles in a given year period) about once a year. For my new car it will get an oil change between 700 to 1,000 miles (once it reaches that mileage).

One good thing I've noticed with the GM cars of late, in that in general their oil economy has greatly improved. So far I haven't had to add oil to any car in my current fleet between changes. Before this I would usually change the oil after one quart burned or 3,000 miles...which ever milestone would come first.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:22 AM   #33
dtruslow

Drives: 2012 Chevy Camaro
jd10013,

I agree with you......most of these guys are just pissing away piece of mind. 7500 if synthetic...unless you live on a dirt road.

DT
dtruslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:24 AM   #34
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTruckenbrod View Post
This is the first car that I have owned that tells me what % life my oil is at. I just hit 3000 miles on my car and it is still showing greater than 40% oil life.

Here's the question: Do you change your oil based on what the car is telling you % wise or just go by the mileage, IE every 3k, 5k, etc. miles?
I go by the oil life monitor. I figure that's why GM put it there. I had a Grand Am that I always changed the oil when the "Change Oil" light came on. It sometimes would go as long as 15k before it asked for an oil change. It never used any oil and never had any engine problems. I sold it a couple of years ago with 212k on the odometer. I still see it on the road daily. I'm a believer.

I've heard that some of the V6s have timing chain issues. I'm not sure if these problems are oil related or not, but if I had one and thought they were oil related, I might consider more frequent oil changes.

I think by now all the lifter and piston ring problems that come with AFM are well documented, so if I had a L99, I'd be changing my oil at 3k or less. I don't think that will keep the AFM from taking out the rings, but it might delay it for a while.
2010 RJT 2SS M6, Kooks Long Tubes, NPP Exhaust, CAI Cold Air w/Jannetty Scoop, RotoFab Washer Bottle, Elite Engineering Catch Can, MGW Shifter w/ZL1 Shaft and Knob, 2015 SS Sedan Steering Wheel and Air Bag, 2012 Heater Hose Conversion, 2012 Power Seat Conversion, RS Head Lights,Gen5DIY RS Conversion Harness, LED Fog Lamp Bulbs, Backup Camera Kit, NLP Spoiler, SLP Splitter, ZL1 Rockers and Diffuser, Color Matched Shark Fin, RS Roof Mouldings, Painted White Stripes, WCC LS3 Emblems, Heritage Grille and Blacked Out Tail Light Panel w/Retro SS Emblems, 416 RWHP, 411 RWT, Tuned by BlueCat.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:29 AM   #35
yellowrs
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 SS 426 V8 M/T
If you using Mobile one every 5K miles should be fine unless you driving the car really hard.
On my Toyota P/U I have 170k miles and change the oil every 5-6k.
Never had ANY! issues with engine.
I would recommend changing your differential and transmission fluid as well on a regular basis.
yellowrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #36
AlohaBR

Drives: Camaros...is there anything else?
I go by the oil life indicator and it has hit 0% a couple of times.
Somewhere in here is a lengthy explanation of the oil life indicator.
Typically I go about 7k miles, which is all highway/backroads driving.
All oil changes done at dealer with Dexos, car has 126k+ miles on it. No issues.
AlohaBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:50 AM   #37
delta6
USN-MSC

Drives: 2012 Camaro TF3 #427
I change mine every 5k. Depending on the air quality or condition in your area, you might have to change it every 3k. If you are unable to reach those numbers in a year, you need to change your oil at least once a year...twice would be nice.

delta6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:57 AM   #38
delta6
USN-MSC

Drives: 2012 Camaro TF3 #427
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowrs View Post
If you using Mobile one every 5K miles should be fine unless you driving the car really hard.
On my Toyota P/U I have 170k miles and change the oil every 5-6k.
Never had ANY! issues with engine.
I would recommend changing your differential and transmission fluid as well on a regular basis.
You don't have to change your differential on a regular basis. You can change it once it hits 80-100k. Transmission fluid should only be replaced regularly if you're racing or driving your car hard...same with your differential fluid.

delta6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:42 AM   #39
Buffman
1LE FTW

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE Recaros NPP
Oil Life monitor that is what it is developed for(.)
Buffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 10:58 AM   #40
RubyCamaro
Jan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Red Jewel tintcoat
You might want to do some reading in the LFX section regarding timing chains stretching. As far as I know this problem has not been resolved in the LFX or LLT and the recommended prevention, though it is still no guarantee for sure, is go with full synthetic & frequent oil changes (ie: every 3 thousand miles). It is even more important for for cars driven largely on short trips & not used as daily drivers. That is what & do now that mine is not a daily driver anymore. And do you have an oil catch can? Very important to protect that engine.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:15 AM   #41
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Dido oil catch can should make difference to keeping that extra carbon out of the system.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #42
suzook

Drives: camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyCamaro View Post
You might want to do some reading in the LFX section regarding timing chains stretching. As far as I know this problem has not been resolved in the LFX or LLT and the recommended prevention, though it is still no guarantee for sure, is go with full synthetic & frequent oil changes (ie: every 3 thousand miles). It is even more important for for cars driven largely on short trips & not used as daily drivers. That is what & do now that mine is not a daily driver anymore. And do you have an oil catch can? Very important to protect that engine.
I dont see how frequent oil changes can help the timing chain stretching....its just a design fault imo.