Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 01-17-2015, 07:07 PM   #1
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Less than a month old, black paint swirls and scuffs

Hey guys I bought a 2014 2ss Camaro, When I bought the car new it was pretty bad paint condition, I could see a ton of swirls and scratches but the 32k price on it was killer for a 2014 2SS RS brand new (300 miles, it was a trade from another dealer)

I told them I want the paint corrected and they did a decent job, since then i've detail sprayed it a few times, I haven't created any swirls. But when they polished and detailed the paint they left holograms on it, there's always still quite a few scuffs on the paint... What should I do about this guys? Should I ask the dealer to repaint it? I don't know if they will seeing how i've owned it for a month..

No I haven't washed the car and created these issues.. But I do keep it clean with a cali duster.

I had them polish it twice to remove all the swirls.. they said "if this doesn't fix it then it'll have to go to the body shop"

I guess picking it up right at about sundown made it look pretty damn good.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #2
Ryanbabz71

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue 1SS 1LE
Find a professional detailer

Ryan
Ryanbabz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:10 AM   #3
TheHorse13

Drives: 2011 Black SS M6
Black paint is the most maintenance intense color to begin with. Add that to sub par factory paints and you end up with a situation like yours.

I have been down this road before with my 2011 black SS. If you go to a professional detailer, be ready for the dealer body shop to tell you that the professionals ruined your paint.

If I had to do this over again, I would give the dealer one more shot to fix the issue. Then I would open a customer care case with GM and then I would ask them to eat the bill of fixing the issue by allowing you to take the car to a detailer of your choice.

Good luck.
TheHorse13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #4
BluePhoenix

Drives: GMC Sierra AT4
Must be your first Black car.

You will have to get used to the issue you have or expect to be buy high end polishes like Zaino or Adams that take half a weekend to get the polishes applied and the car looking clean. I owned a Black 4th gen for many years and it never cleaned up the way I would have liked it to with Meguiars or Mothers polishes. Meguiars NXt 2.0 seemed to do the best.

WTB - 2010 Camaro 1SS or 2SS, Aqua Blue Metallic, A6
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:44 AM   #5
Jared91

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/M6
Post this in the Cosmetic section, they'll have all your answers. Sounds like you need a 7424. No reason in the world to repaint a car over surface scuffs and swril marks. Improper wash is the cause of swril marks and holograms to me means they took a rotary buffer to your car. Which will do that easy as pie if you are not a pro with a rotery. All can be fixed tho.
2011 Ls3. Slp TSV2300. 8PSI. 3.4 Pulley. Livernois Twin Fuel Pump. Id850 Injectors. Slp 1 3/4 headers. CAI Cold Air Intake. 3inch exhaust. V-Maxx portted throttle body. Night Fury cam. Lpe 391 gears. Fj performence tune. 643rwhp 574rwtq
Jared91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 11:46 AM   #6
mdolandese

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Victory Red Vert
Bingo just need the right detailer know big deal if that's all it is Wrong technique and microfiber towels
mdolandese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #7
BRAVO 2SS
Aim Small...Miss Small

Drives: 2018 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared91 View Post
Post this in the Cosmetic section, they'll have all your answers. Sounds like you need a 7424. No reason in the world to repaint a car over surface scuffs and swril marks. Improper wash is the cause of swril marks and holograms to me means they took a rotary buffer to your car. Which will do that easy as pie if you are not a pro with a rotery. All can be fixed tho.

Yup!

I do full detail twice a year and each time takes about half of a weekend. Right now, it's loaded with swirl marks. I just give it a quick wash every weekend. Unless it's going to be a show car and garage queen, don't expect to have perfect appearance. Enjoy your car and drive the hell out of it!

It sucks because I go to my parents house and my dad has his 1968 Galaxy and the paint job is still amazing! It sat in his warehouse for the last 20 years driven once or twice every 5 years or so. It's unreal how the paint quality has changed!
Old 01-18-2015, 05:23 PM   #8
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
I had a Ashen Gray Camaro before this black one. And it still looked flawless after I traded it in. I know never to wash it through the car wash, etc etc etc. I was really really really against black but at the price he gave me I couldn't refuse.
Old 01-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #9
backeddy
Banned

Drives: 2011 Boxster Spyder (best car ever)
My car is the same. I also have a couple cloudy areas too, but my dealer sucks, so I have to fix myself. Black takes time.period. then it rains......
backeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:50 PM   #10
TommyTheCat
SHKE BKE

Drives: 2013 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by backeddy View Post
My car is the same. I also have a couple cloudy areas too, but my dealer sucks, so I have to fix myself. Black takes time.period. then it rains......
Or the car sits out for more than 5 minutes and dust gathers.
especially here in the desert ):
TommyTheCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #11
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockoutpie View Post
I had a Ashen Gray Camaro before this black one. And it still looked flawless after I traded it in. I know never to wash it through the car wash, etc etc etc. I was really really really against black but at the price he gave me I couldn't refuse.
You got black, what did you expect? Get used to it because unless you are going to invest hours a week in detailing it will never look flawless. Black it a beautiful color, one I will NEVER get again. In fact I've had found plenty of black beauties at a great price but I knew I'd never, ever be totally happy with the condition of the paint so I walk away.
Old 01-21-2015, 10:48 PM   #12
mdolandese

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Victory Red Vert
+1
mdolandese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #13
87GNX

Drives: Alot
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan View Post
You got black, what did you expect? Get used to it because unless you are going to invest hours a week in detailing it will never look flawless. Black it a beautiful color, one I will NEVER get again. In fact I've had found plenty of black beauties at a great price but I knew I'd never, ever be totally happy with the condition of the paint so I walk away.
+1000, maintaining a black vehicle is a part time job.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:59 PM   #14
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Ah, you got the dealer installed swirls option. It seems to be quite popular.