Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 01-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #1
BigBoyBlue
Go NY Giants & NY Rangers

Drives: 2013 ZL1 M6
Pirelli P Zero - Anyone running these on their ZL1?

All I see are people pushing the Michelin tires. Has anyone driven the Pirelli's in the summer and below 40 degrees? I see that Pirelli makes the OEM sizes, while Michelin doesn't.

If so, do they have the same cracking problem below 20 degrees?

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:48 AM   #2
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
The p zero tires for sure do not crack in the cold but the traction suffers a lot in colder temps! I had the Pirelli tires on my 2ss/rs and drove it in sub zero temps when the roads were clean enough over winter. My ZL1 with the Goodyear's that do crack has been put away since the end of October and won't make an appearance until sometime in April most likely! I can't wait for them to wear out so I can replace them with a better tire! I find the very loud also which sucks! I hope Michelin comes out with the OEM sizes by the time I need to replace. I would prefer to stay with the stock sizes also!
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:11 PM   #3
kaamacat

Drives: 2018 ZL1/1LE Red
PZeros are an excellent tire, and will not suffer as the Goodyears do in cold. (Granted their traction...or lack of when its cold.... is still there). While I'd like to to with the MPSS's (having them in the past), I will wait till Mar-Apr to see if Michelin comes out with the rear sizes for our cars. (Went through exactly the same thing with I had the Porsche, and they did come out with my rear size early in the year... so the wait was WELL worth it).

2018 ZL1 1LE (Red) - New Dec 2017
2015 ViperGT (Gunmetal w/Red stripes)
2013 ZR1 Anniversary
2014 ZL1 - BrightYellow, 6sp
2011 Porsche GT3RS - White w/red graphics
2009 Porsche C2S
2001 Ferrari 360
kaamacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #4
DavidW

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Vert Auto IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaamacat View Post
PZeros are an excellent tire, and will not suffer as the Goodyears do in cold. (Granted their traction...or lack of when its cold.... is still there). While I'd like to to with the MPSS's (having them in the past), I will wait till Mar-Apr to see if Michelin comes out with the rear sizes for our cars. (Went through exactly the same thing with I had the Porsche, and they did come out with my rear size early in the year... so the wait was WELL worth it).
why would you not want to go with the slightly wider tire...
DavidW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #5
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
I don't think the pzeros handle as well in the summer either. The Goodyears will out perform them hands down. The pzeros are almost as expensive as the super sports so why wouldn't you just go with the better tire. A little bit wider tire is better for handling. Also the pzeros don't offer any rim protection like the Goodyears and Michelins. I will be going with the Michelins when it is time to replace.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:30 AM   #6
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
If you have the chance of being on snow & ice you do not want the pzeros. they suck in the winter. I have have them on a couple road courses in the rain & the did very well. did ok in the dry, not great.

Find a winter tire if you are going to be on snow & ice.

The pzeros loose grip as it gets colder. trust me, I know.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:42 AM   #7
Camaro Kid

Drives: black convertible
I'm glad this question came up because I will need to look for different tires seeing as I live in Canada where it gets down to -22F on an average in the winter. My ZL1 is staying in the garage all the time but my garage is not heated. Would my problem be solved if I put a heater into the garage or do most of you take your tires off the car and put them in the house for the winter? My 2010 2SSRS never had problems with the cold, (P Zero's), not that I drove my SS in the winter. I just don't want my tires to crack. I can't justify buying this type of tire for $600 per tire if they're just going to crack. TIA.
NOW:2014 Black on Yellow ZL1 Convertible 6 Speed.PREVIOUS CARS:2010 black on black 2SS/RS Manual,1998 Black on Black T-Tops SS Manual,1997 White on White with Orange racing stripes Z-28 30th Anniversary Convertible Auto,1995 Tan on White Manual Z-28 Convertible,1993 coupe Black on Red Z-28 Auto.
Camaro Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #8
Bosse'sBoss

Drives: '16 Camaro SS 6 spd manual transm.
Unhappy

What I can comment about the Pirellis P Zeros, they were the stock tires on my '11 Mustang GT with the Brembo package, they wear very fast, I replace them with Michelin Pilot Super Sport that has much better grip than the stock pirellis, and has lasted about double compared to the Pirellis. The only concern is that the MPSS are wider, and I read from some owners that the 315 & 295 rub on the inside of the wheel wells.
'14 Camaro ZL1 w/. Recaro seats
'11 Mustang GT 5.0 w. track package
'02 Porsche 911 Carrera
'05 Infiniti G35 coupe sport
Bosse'sBoss is offline   Reply With Quote