Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
cjcamaro10

Drives: 2010 LS 6M
Oil change up sells

Getting the oil change on my 2010 LS with 27k on it and I get the, "Sir, we really suggets getting our three part fuel injector/ intake cleaneing done. It removes depsosits of the valves etc...". So I very nicely tell the guy there shouldn't be any deposits considering the injectors are in the combustion chamber. After a look of confusion he goes back to the car. A few minutes later I have get the white card with diff oil on it. "Your gear oils really dirty' it needs a replacing for sure sir.". So I smell it on my finger and let him know it's limited slip so between clutches and the additive it's quite normal. Another stare of confusion. Plus I used to be a tech and hold some ASE's so I'm not a moron. I do love the way they try to sell you everything though. They even tried an oil flush which I thought was even more funny. Anybody else get the same treatment?
cjcamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #2
13lstuner

Drives: 2013 2LS BLK
Do you have a catch can? If not I would imagine that your intakes valves would be pretty gunked up... The picture shows how much oil my catch can caught from my PCV system in 75 MILES. As for the gear oil at 30k miles I am changing mine and putting royal purple in it... Which is right around your milage. I think gm recommends a change in gear oil every 30k miles as well I might be incorrect on the milage though.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #3
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Actually, since the engine is DI there is never any fuel running across the valves, and thus they can and will get carbon deposits and junk on them. Its a common thing for these engines unfortunately. You can combat this with a catch can, and every so often you can do a seafoam treatment or some other sort of upper induction cleaning that I think the dealerships offer. Maybe that is what he was asking??
Old 11-04-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
Sikoriko

Drives: 2011 V6 IOM
I'm worried about any deposit breaking off and maybe sitting on a valve seat. not going into the combustion chamber.
Sikoriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:01 PM   #5
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Yeah, the mere fact that the V6 in the Camaro is direct injection, he was totally in the right asking you if you wanted an upper induction cleaning. I mean, personally, to get the break in fluid out I changed my oil at 1000 miles and my transmission at 10000. They'll be good for a while now, but still. The only thing you're hurting by not getting fluids changed is your car.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 04:05 PM   #6
cjcamaro10

Drives: 2010 LS 6M
Catch can is installed, however my car really doesn't consume much oil at all. At the 3000 mile mark it's maybe a half a quart low. I'm just sayin that hooking the cleaner to my fuel rail or trying to would do nothing for the valves and the little can of throttle spray wouldn't do much of anything.
cjcamaro10 is offline   Reply With Quote