Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-23-2014, 12:15 PM   #43
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
At least it's doesn't have an extremely ugly hood/exhaust like they do for the vette's.
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #44
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldScoolCamaro View Post
This is America. We are the Land Of Opportunity. When you have opportunity, business thrives. When business thrives, it offers choices. When you have choices, you can choose what you want. When you can choose what you want, you have options and can get what you like. Is this a great Country or what....
I'm sure what you write is with good intentions, but wait, there are 700-1000HP Skylines out of the box in Japan that are ILLEGAL to be shipped over here, and probably other watchamacallits as well. Ditto for some off the wall BMW models in Germany, and the list goes on elsewhere.

Yeah, great countries!
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 12:19 PM   #45
Callaway Chris

Drives: Callaway Corvette
My comments were from an owner's perspective, not company.

You could direct an email to info@callawaycars.com for specifics.

However, I know and have attended HPDE/track days at Lime Rock, etc., where owners have brought their Callaway Corvettes and Callaway Camaros and run them throughout the day. They still had a warranty, afterwards.

I can also appreciate what you say about the big talkers getting their tail handed to them on the track by spec Miatas in corners. I know in the case of the (2010) Callaway Corvette I am driving now, with 606 hp and 190,000 miles, it is the fastest car on track days in its class. Also, it's never had any mechanical issue, ever.

Also agree that one of the best "mods" is to attend track day / HPDEs.
Callaway Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 01:05 PM   #46
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post

I am so over reading "stick a cam in it!" (or a turbo or a blower) when I know from experience the big HP braggarts are typically the rolling chicanes at the track with the Miatas passing them in the corners.

652 HP is so far beyond what a recreational tracker could ever use it is ludicrous. May as well call it a Callaway Coffin for anyone stupid enough to turn off the traction control. I sure as hell would never right seat a student in one.

Instead of the same old "buy a cam!" BS, people would be far better served (for a lifetime) to invest instead in a multi-day driving school. On a road course, you can't buy skill and lap times, they're earned.
OK, but what about us folks that are already in the intermediate or advanced run groups and earned the know how to handle this amount of HP? The ones who are passing Spec Miata's in our Bolt on Camaros? Do we not deserve the opportunity to have this as an option so we can go out and have some fun with our friends with their GT3's and GTR's?

Please do not pigeon hole all of us, not that you were, and let some of us big dogs hunt. Of course those of us in this class would prefer to stay NA and on the Road Course. But an occasional trip to the Drag Strip, just to see what it would do, probably would not be out of the question. With the right tires of course.

BTW, if you are running into the rolling chicane in your HPDE maybe look into running with another group. And for the comment that you would not right seat a student in one well then maybe you should not be right seating at all. A good coach on track can be much better hands on than a multi-day driving school if you can find them.

This is not meant as a dig, merely an observation.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:02 PM   #47
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
By adding the weight over the nose to gain HP it would turn it into a point-and-shoot VS momentum ride, wouldn't it? More of a brute and less a finesse drive.

Last edited by 2cnd chance; 02-23-2014 at 02:50 PM.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:37 PM   #48
Skylane765

Drives: ZL1-1LE, Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
So basically, they took everything the GM engineers worked so hard on with the Z/28 and threw it out the window?
Yes, looks like that.
Skylane765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:14 PM   #49
717Stunna

Drives: 2010 Slp Camaro ZL327
Thats a LS7 under that hood should of turbocharged it would of made more power I used to like supercharges but it robs power to make not a fan anymore turbo FTW
717Stunna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 05:16 PM   #50
Msmall143

Drives: Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zfatuated View Post
I'm assuming by your screen name and reply that you are associated with Callaway so going by that let's part with the hyperbole and gain some facts?

What does a SC652 Z/28 weigh (wet)?
Is it warranted for recreational on track use?
Is it guaranteed to run at 9/10 all day at the track? (30 minute sessions in 100f ambient?)
The press release does not specify it has anything other than stock ceramic brakes, is this correct?

I am so over reading "stick a cam in it!" (or a turbo or a blower) when I know from experience the big HP braggarts are typically the rolling chicanes at the track with the Miatas passing them in the corners.

652 HP is so far beyond what a recreational tracker could ever use it is ludicrous. May as well call it a Callaway Coffin for anyone stupid enough to turn off the traction control. I sure as hell would never right seat a student in one.

Instead of the same old "buy a cam!" BS, people would be far better served (for a lifetime) to invest instead in a multi-day driving school. On a road course, you can't buy skill and lap times, they're earned.
Your post assumes callaway is targeting novice drivers. They are making ten of them. For all you know callaway would prefer only top tier competitive drivers to purchase these.

Also, everyone is saying a cam will do the same as as sc without the weight. Doesn't the z/28 have a fairly aggressive cam already? And don't forget, you can do a cam and sc, it's. It one or the other?

It seems like everyone is forgetting shops are in business to make money. If you have an issue, don't blame the shop, blame the consumer. If callaway makes these and sells them, how could you possibly say they shouldn't have made them.

And don't forget, you still have a warranty!

I don't get the complaints. Stock z/28 vs this callaway z/28 with the same driver....which car wins around the track and down the strip!
Msmall143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #51
Awill
Married

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT/RS
I would have to say, if I were able to get a z/28 or zL1, I would want to keep it stock most likely. Especially if I'm paying 75k for a Camaro. The work GM put into these are amazing and one heck of an accomplishment. I don't think I would want to mess with that. if I wanted something faster I would just get something faster.
Awill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #52
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
Your post assumes callaway is targeting novice drivers. They are making ten of them. For all you know callaway would prefer only top tier competitive drivers to purchase these.

Also, everyone is saying a cam will do the same as as sc without the weight. Doesn't the z/28 have a fairly aggressive cam already? And don't forget, you can do a cam and sc, it's. It one or the other?

It seems like everyone is forgetting shops are in business to make money. If you have an issue, don't blame the shop, blame the consumer. If callaway makes these and sells them, how could you possibly say they shouldn't have made them.

And don't forget, you still have a warranty!

I don't get the complaints. Stock z/28 vs this callaway z/28 with the same driver....which car wins around the track and down the strip!
My understanding is the LS7 cam has relatively short duration for its displacement to pass emissions.

For reference, take a look at the ZR1 vs the Z06/Z07. Despite the 130+ horsepower disparity, the Z06 was almost as fast. I would expect the S/C Z/28 to be faster on tracks with more straights but on tighter tracks, the N/A Z/28 would benefit from it's better balance.
Bhobbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 07:59 PM   #53
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhobbs View Post
My understanding is the LS7 cam has relatively short duration for its displacement to pass emissions.

For reference, take a look at the ZR1 vs the Z06/Z07. Despite the 130+ horsepower disparity, the Z06 was almost as fast. I would expect the S/C Z/28 to be faster on tracks with more straights but on tighter tracks, the N/A Z/28 would benefit from it's better balance.
Exactly!

The whole reason for the Z/28 was a drivers (momentum) track car. Compared to the Z/28 the ZL1 is more of a point-shoot-brake track car. This is why there's push-back on the SC'd Z/28. Yes it may/will be faster, however it is not the same car/experience anymore.

Would you buy an expensive single-malt scotch and mix it with Coke? Kind of defeats the purpose of the single-malt scotch. Get it?
Old 02-23-2014, 08:06 PM   #54
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikebrinda View Post
Interesting, but:

In addition to the supercharger, Callaway adds a liquid-to-air intercooler, high-flow intake, low restriction exhaust, and larger fuel injectors. Appearance upgrades include under hood build plaque, carbon fiber injector covers, Callaway badging, dash plaque, embroidered floor mats, door sill panels, Callaway key fob, and authenticity documentation package.

How much lower restrictive than the factory version could their exhaust possible be and still be legal?
HEADERS ..the only reason GM doesnt run headers is long term use..IRON manifolds last longer and do not give off as much heat... its not a factory car anymore ,its just another tuner car,sure its not built by the shop down the road,but its still a tuner car...It doe not have to meet all the requirements like GM,just as Hennessy does not,and as long as the part has a carb # its legal..
Old 02-23-2014, 08:08 PM   #55
gen=5

Drives: 13 ZL1 vert blac fastlane/LPE 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
Exactly!

The whole reason for the Z/28 was a drivers (momentum) track car. Compared to the Z/28 the ZL1 is more of a point-shoot-brake track car. This is why there's push-back on the SC'd Z/28. Yes it may/will be faster, however it is not the same car/experience anymore.

Would you buy an expensive single-malt scotch and mix it with Coke? Kind of defeats the purpose of the single-malt scotch. Get it?
mixed with coke its a much SWEETER ride,and goes down faster..lol
Old 02-23-2014, 08:11 PM   #56
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
A proper "tuning house", like RUF for Porsche, Hartge for BMW, Brabus for Mercedes, and a bunch of others, tune the rest of the car as well, in order to compensate for the rest of the insane power increases. More often than not, they will turn in quicker times on the Nurburgring.

You all know what an entry level C-Class Mercedes chassis is. Well, Brabus makes one called the Bullit Coupé, rated at close to 800HP, 3+ seconds to 60mph, 230 mph top speed, and yes, limited production. This is insane for an entry level family coupe. For sure this little puppy, is NOSE HEAVY with a 12 cylinder and twin turbos, but I'm sure they adjusted the suspension accordingly.

Just like the Callaway, it's limited production for the privileged few, who do not want to complain, and just enjoy a limited production toy. I doubt anyone on the Mercedes forums are complaining at Brabus.

My point and question is, did Callaway simply drop the SC in their and call it a day, and if that's what they truly did, is it because the car was balanced allowing for little more room to play with with SC? It's not uncommon for tuners to work with manufacturers you know, Alpina case in point with BMW.

Just asking', did Callaway get sloppy here, or do they really know what they are doing, working closely with GM, just like some Euro tuners do with their respective motherships?
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote