Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 02-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #15
unstable vic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Chemical Guys products I do not like. Armor all is crap except for the rim protectant. Turtle wax is junk.
unstable vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #16
45thAnniversary2SS

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary 2SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FilibustaRhymes View Post
I've been a CG guy but slowly moving my collection to Adams stuff as my CG stuff runs out.

I had a few bottles of CG wax/polish turn to useless, watery liquid in my garage over the span of a few months. Not sure if that's the product, or maybe temperature, or what...but I've never seen another product do that.
Must be the conditions you store them in. All my CG products are just fine.
Old 02-23-2015, 03:42 PM   #17
JTruck

Drives: 2014 Camaro 1LT/RS
I have found that just using dawn and a brillo pad does the trick, don't pay squat because they are recycled from when I do my dishes.
Old 02-23-2015, 04:27 PM   #18
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post

For example, according to the Junkman, all clay sold in the USA (at least as of 2012, when he said it) comes from the same manufacturer. So if he's right about that, a clay that costs $30.00 a bar and claims to remove more contaminants than other brands would be one of these ripoffs.
That was true until last year when the ITW / Automagic patent exclusivity deal finally ended. Now your clay could be coming from any number of places in any number of parts around the world.

Even before then clay formulations varied. The manufacture was the same, but the compound itself was able to be customized in a number of ways to spec. It could account for some pricing variation, but more often the price differences came down to size. A 200gram chunk for $30 is a deal compared to an 80gram wafer for $20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroDreams07 View Post
A lot of people swear by Turtle Wax too.
I LOL'd.

"Consumer reports rated NuFinish the #1 car polish, so its the best"
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:19 PM   #19
Muscle Car Memories

Drives: 2015 Camaro 1SS,6 Speed,NPP Exhaust
Longevity in the business means a lot, companies like Menzerna and Meguiars. You don't stay in business for decades by selling inferior products.

Joe, The quote of yours above here doesnt make sense because most everyone dislikes Turtle Wax and they have been in business for easily 40+ years, so they must make great products according to your analogy.

I dont use Turtle Wax by the way but someone must be buying it.
Muscle Car Memories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:24 PM   #20
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Car Memories View Post
Longevity in the business means a lot, companies like Menzerna and Meguiars. You don't stay in business for decades by selling inferior products.

Joe, The quote of yours above here doesnt make sense because most everyone dislikes Turtle Wax and they have been in business for easily 40+ years, so they must make great products according to your analogy.

Well, for a car care product you can buy in a grocery store, I guess Turtle wax holds its own.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #21
Muscle Car Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandata View Post
Well, for a car care product you can buy in a grocery store, I guess Turtle wax holds its own.

I remember back in the day that Rain Dance was the shit and my dad used to use Dupont No.7 in those green metal cans. Not sure if those two are still around but as for me I use Collinite, Rejex and sometimes S100 but Collinite is my favorite.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #22
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
I forgot about Rain Dance! My dad had the DuPont in green cans too. Most all dads probably did back then.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:32 PM   #23
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:

Turtle wax is designed for the average person who doesn't want to spend any money, just want the cheapest thing available to wax their car with. For this type of consumer, Turtle wax is good.

What is a wax for anyway? If you ask the average person who does not maintain their car on a regular basis, many of them will tell you for "shine". Turtle wax has fillers which mask defects and gives the illusion of shine. I use wax for 1 purpose, protection from the outside elements.

I'm sure people on here would scoff at what I use, which is Megs #26 liquid. For me it's perfect, it goes on quick and using a red LC CCS pad, I get the thin application I want and it wipes off in no time, lasts for 3 months, and since I clay every 2-3 months, it works great for me.

A product that is truly "bad" will not deliver the claims of what it's said to do. So do I think Turtle Wax is bad? No, it's better than using nothing, but last time I used it (1981) it was so hard to remove and dusted so much I decided I'd like a different alternative.

If other people don't mind these idiosyncrasies using Turtle Wax and are happy with the results of whatever reason they are using it for, then let them continue to use it. A lot of people must like it because they are the largest automotive appearance company in the world.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:32 PM   #24
Muscle Car Memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
Turtle wax is designed for the average person who doesn't want to spend any money, just want the cheapest thing available to wax their car with. For this type of consumer, Turtle wax is good.

What is a wax for anyway? If you ask the average person who does not maintain their car on a regular basis, many of them will tell you for "shine". Turtle wax has fillers which mask defects and gives the illusion of shine. I use wax for 1 purpose, protection from the outside elements.

I'm sure people on here would scoff at what I use, which is Megs #26 liquid. For me it's perfect, it goes on quick and using a red LC CCS pad, I get the thin application I want and it wipes off in no time, lasts for 3 months, and since I clay every 2-3 months, it works great for me.

A product that is truly "bad" will not deliver the claims of what it's said to do. So do I think Turtle Wax is bad? No, it's better than using nothing, but last time I used it (1981) it was so hard to remove and dusted so much I decided I'd like a different alternative.

If other people don't mind these idiosyncrasies using Turtle Wax and are happy with the results of whatever reason they are using it for, then let them continue to use it. A lot of people must like it because they are the largest automotive appearance company in the world.
I remember back in the 70's and 80's that some people refused to use any kind of wax and would keep their cars shiny by using Windex. Weird but true.

Just for the hell of it I would like to see a comparison of Turtle Wax up against companies like Adam's, Collinite and other big names just to see how truly bad or good Turtle Wax is compared to them.

My dad who is in his 80's used to use Dupont No.7 and finally went to Rain Dance but now he uses Turtle Wax and his cars still look new but they dont sit outside and arent driven that often which could be the reason they still look so good.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:52 PM   #25
Joe M 2012 2SS

Drives: 2012 2SS
Quote:
I remember back in the 70's and 80's that some people refused to use any kind of wax and would keep their cars shiny by using Windex. Weird but true.
Sounds Greek to me. (Pun intended)
Yes I remember using an old towel to compound a 1972 Pontiac Lemans my best friend owned, we also went over it with another rag with Megs #7, topped it with #20. 2 days later he sold it, (got 2000 more than he paid for it) I was upset that we spent all that time only for him to sell it, He showed up a week later in a 1967 Camaro w/327 4 in floor. Yes, I would have sold the Lemans too! LOL.

Quote:
Just for the hell of it I would like to see a comparison of Turtle Wax up against companies like Adam's, Collinite and other big names just to see how truly bad or good Turtle Wax is compared to them.
I would think it would come out similar to hotdogs being compared to filet mignon.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:19 PM   #26
JD_Alaska

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Coupe L99
@ Matt
JD_Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:30 PM   #27
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
Isnt it entirely about expectations and wants of the consumer/user? The truly bad stuff would harm the car in some way - otherwise, it likely does enough of what it says it will do to be allowed to make the claim?

Yes ?
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:50 AM   #28
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
Speaking of back in the day..I knew some dads (not mine..., that used kerosene mixed in water to wash cars. I was scratching my head even back then. Late 70s. Anybody else's dad use kerosene?

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote