Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-31-2015, 05:49 PM   #1
Avalnch

Drives: Rally Yellow Camaro+Avalanche
ATI or Fluidampr? Help me decide.

Simple question: Which one is better?

They both cost $400 region, so why one over the other?
Avalnch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2015, 07:44 PM   #2
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
I just went through this same decision. After reading several reviews and articles on the fluid technology used in the Fluidampr, that was my choice. I ended up going with the 760121 (25% UD). Just ordered it today. This was the best price I have found on the internet ( http://www.dieselstuff.com/flu760121.html ), and that was with free shipping. But I am not familiar with that vendor, so I just contacted a few other vendors that I was comfortable with until one of them agreed to price match. I think Summit will even price match if you call them.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
Avalnch

Thanks blazzin1 !

You made the decision a no brainer. Jegs makes it super easy to enter the online price match info. Just finished ordering the Fluidamper.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:45 PM   #4
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Glad I could help with your decision! You'll need a Gates K060827 (or equivalent) belt. I'm told the K060819 that is recommended in the Fluidampr installation instructions won't fit….too small.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I second the Fluidampr. be sure to use the proper installation tool and a new bolt.

2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 10:31 PM   #6
Schluney

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
I also went with fluidampr I epected not to underdrive it. I really like it and reccomend it.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:39 AM   #7
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
Gates also makes a Racing version of the K060827. its K060827RB its blue and made for hi rpm applications. http://www.amazon.com/Gates-K060827R.../dp/B000JZFN6M read the box. It says not to remove it from the box until your going to use it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #8
dcpatters

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
Did a cam swap last month. Originally purchased a fluidampr but returned in favor of the ATI. Didn't like the fluidampr weighed 15 lbs. Nearly 7 lbs more than the ATI. From other LS forums the majority preferred ATI.

Last edited by dcpatters; 04-02-2015 at 03:13 PM. Reason: spelling correction
dcpatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 09:26 AM   #9
1sick_eg

Drives: 14 Camaro 1LE,328i, and some Hondas
I'd take the ATI over the fluidampr, but that's just me. They're both nice pieces, and I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I recently bought a 10% underdrive ATI for my build.
1sick_eg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 02:37 PM   #10
avido

Drives: camaro ss\rs
i'm really interested in a dampr. are the ATI lighter than the stock pulley?slp made a dampr lighter than the stock
avido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #11
dcpatters

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by avido View Post
i'm really interested in a dampr. are the ATI lighter than the stock pulley?slp made a dampr lighter than the stock
Yes. Even lighter if under driven.
dcpatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 05:33 PM   #12
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
went with the fluidampr it underdrives what should be and not what shouldn't along with it viscous silicon fluid tech. I am a old hot rodder. And some brands may come close to their quality but not close enough, some brands suck and can actually fall apart and are not much better than stock for eliminating the more varied vibrations from a cammed motor. The fluid amprs directions I got from summit recommend a belt length with a wrong gates number BTW for the underdriven belt.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:29 PM   #13
LSX Camaro
Master ASE, GM, LSX Tech.

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianchevell View Post
went with the fluidampr it underdrives what should be and not what shouldn't along with it viscous silicon fluid tech. I am a old hot rodder. And some brands may come close to their quality but not close enough, some brands suck and can actually fall apart and are not much better than stock for eliminating the more varied vibrations from a cammed motor. The fluid amprs directions I got from summit recommend a belt length with a wrong gates number BTW for the underdriven belt.
Is it really too much to ask for proper English, spelling and grammar in forum posts? I can't believe you didn't shoehorn Joe Gibbs racing oil into this somehow.
2010 2SSRS A6, Custom Pat G. Cam, WCCH Cylinder Heads, Kooks Headers/Exhaust, BTR Valvetrain, Fluidampr 25% UDP, All Engine ARP bolts, Flex-a-lite radiator/Trans cooler, Yank converter, PFADT Suspension, ADM Race Intake/Scoop, Torq tow hook, CFD auto shifter, Dynojet AFR gauge, Aeroforce scan gauge, Brake Performance rotors/pads
Prothane bushings, ZL1 wheels, spoiler, Z/28 wickerbill, 1LE Aero/Suspension Package, Anderson Composites COPO Carbon Fiber Hood, LED lighting, Elite Catch Can, Improved Racing oil pan baffle, crank scraper, windage tray
480 RWHP 452 RWTQ + Nitrous Express 150 Shot
LSX Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 06:42 PM   #14
Avalnch

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
Glad I could help with your decision! You'll need a Gates K060827 (or equivalent) belt. I'm told the K060819 that is recommended in the Fluidampr installation instructions won't fit….too small.
So, I went with the stock diameter balancer. Will I still need the Gates belt? The OEM one will work fine, right?