Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
2010 SS - sway bar questions- Pedders or 1LE?

Suspensions aren't my forte. And neither is getting good results with the search button (I tried, couldn't find what I was looking for)

For my 2010 SS, I was wondering if swapping to the factory 1LE sway bars front/rear would be worthwhile to bump up the steering feel on the street? Buying a takeoff kit puts it around $250 for the 1LE stuff at the moment.

While Pedders makes some really cool street kits, I'm wondering do I really need to spend a grand or more on a kit to improve the street steering feel? Or is it that much further ahead of the 1LE to justify the kit prices? I know it's quality, thus it cost more, but GM 1LE parts are certainly better than what came on the car as well. So there's no doubt the Pedders street stuff will be more than what I'd ever need.

I'm NOT going to be lowering the car, AutoX, or anything remotely hard core so I doubt I'm going to need to change springs/struts. I'm simply looking to upgrade the suspension slightly, with the daily driver handling approach in mind. But I'd also like to be able to do a tad more spirited turning without plowing the front end. I know with some of my older cars, upgrading sway bars and bits made a noticeable difference in the handling to the better. That's all I'm after.

So what's the advice? Opinions? Leave it the f** alone? etc.?

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
The 1LE stock suspension is a big upgrade over what you have but it is not a simple bolt on upgrade. You will have to swap out the rear lower control arms and end links to do it. If you were going to do the conversion to FE4 I would go ahead and go with a set of FE4 aftermarket sway bars. I know the Pfadt ZL/FE4 spec sway bars are a big improvement yet again over the stock 1LE sway bars.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Chase View Post
The 1LE stock suspension is a big upgrade over what you have but it is not a simple bolt on upgrade. You will have to swap out the rear lower control arms and end links to do it.
The $250 price includes the takeoff bars and extra parts (new GM end links and control arms) needed for 2010/11 application. So it would essentially be what I need for 1LE sway conversion, right?

Yeah, that Pedders 32mm bar has me wondering. Probably will make it oversteer!

The ZL1 spoiled me. The handling difference between the two is like night and day almost. Although the 2010 isn't a slouch.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
Old 12-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess A View Post
The $250 price includes the takeoff bars and extra parts (new GM end links and control arms) needed for 2010/11 application. So it would essentially be what I need for 1LE sway conversion, right?

The ZL1 spoiled me. The handling difference between the two is like night and day almost. Although the 2010 isn't a slouch.
Correct. If you can get all that for $250 that is a steal.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:16 PM   #5
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:

I have the Pedders 27/32mm bar setup. Front bar on soft and no oversteer in daily drive though obviously not pushing it in traffic.lol On auto x I did no problem there either
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #6
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
^^^ That was the setup I originally wanted. Unfortunately Pedders wasn't responding to my order so I went with the Pfadt Sport sways instead. I'm hoping to get them installed within the next couple of weeks (assuming it warms up enough to do it in my garage).

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
^^^ That was the setup I originally wanted. Unfortunately Pedders wasn't responding to my order so I went with the Pfadt Sport sways instead. I'm hoping to get them installed within the next couple of weeks (assuming it warms up enough to do it in my garage).
Yeah, whats up with Pete or Pedders? Awfully silent
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #8
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR Baron View Post
Yeah, whats up with Pete or Pedders? Awfully silent
have been since Halloween, although I've seen a couple random posts before Thanksgiving.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=330872

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Old 12-11-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
Quote:
Should've at least done the Pfadt ZL1 Sways

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #10
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by lscamaro View Post
Should've at least done the Pfadt ZL1 Sways
Budget wouldn't allow it.

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Old 12-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #11
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Quote:
No matter how you ended up with Pfadt we are glad you did! We guarantee you will be happy with your bars. Most people don't realize how much they corner and sway bars make a MASSIVE difference in cornering. Hell, you might decide to track your car after feeling these Pfadt bars! Thanks for the order!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:

One thing I will recommend if you decide to go with the 1LE sway bars is go with a square wheel and tire setup. If you plan on running a staggered setup I would suggest going for the ZL1 sway bars if you don't want to go aftermarket.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 04:24 PM   #13
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

I find good advice here about staying square with the 1LE. I think I might have a solution with some options included for a grand total out of pocket of $376.97

I figure I can buy some new Rear LCAs, end links and a new front ZL1 bar. I get the 1LE bars, which I believe uses the same ZL1 rear bar/link setup.

I already have a spare set of brand spanking new midnight silver 2010 5 spoke wheels/Pirelli takeoffs I bought a couple years ago off a car getting 21" wheels right off the trailer and into the dealer bay.

Thusly, if I go with the 1LE set up and put rear tires/wheels on all 4 corners, I'll effectively have it "square".

OR- I have the option of leaving it staggered as factory, and installing the 1LE bar in the back and the ZL1 bar up front.

Either way I should be ok I think. I'll have both front bars and mix and match to see which I like best for half the amount I can get an aftermarket setup.

Thoughts?

Old 12-21-2013, 04:46 PM   #14
toml_pa
ʇuɐıʌǝp lɐıɔos

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/M6
Quote:
I find good advice here about staying square with the 1LE. I think I might have a solution with some options included for a grand total out of pocket of $376.97
Definitely the best choice. Just ordered everything today for $397 shipped (PartsTaxi.com) to convert my 2011 to 1LE sways. Already running rear wheels all around. I also like the idea of solid bars.
toml_pa is offline   Reply With Quote