Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 03-10-2010, 05:51 PM   #1
Big Turkey
Auto Adrenaline

Drives: 09 C6
Detailing around Houston, TX

Hey guys,

I have seen a few number of threads on here with people asking about professional detailing, getting little to no responses.

I know I am not an official forum sponsor, but looking on this forum there isn't really a "detailing" section so I didn't know where else to post.

I do professional detailing on the weekends for alot of the Corvette owners in Houston as well as other performance cars. With that said, I am not here to promote my business, rather just offering that if you guys wanted any advice on detailing, or don't know a specific "Camaro" detailer, or would like any tips and tricks I am happy to help so post up on here or shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

If you like to know what technique to use, which products work well with what, the steps you need to take, feel free to ask! I enjoy the conversation it brings because detailing really is an art. You gain a new level respect when it comes to "cleaning" your car, as a simple detail, when done correctly, averages 6-8 hours.

I have seen many "professional" detail jobs and they look like some guy just went at it blindfolded. When it's all said and done, when your car is "finished" it should look something like this:

or this:

And this:

Again, I am not making this post as an advertisement but more of a better topic of conversation. Whenever I go to Cars and Coffee I always end up talking to 5-6 people talking detailing techniques and I simply enjoy the conversation. Plus, when I give people tips and they try it at home, when it doesn't turn out that way they'll usually give me a call anyways! just kidding.

Like us on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/autoadrenalineperformance
Big Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 05:57 PM   #2
1CAMSS

Drives: 2010 1SS CAMARO/GBA/M6- sold.
yeah thanks! i will keep you in mind.

1SS @ home. 12/14/2009
1CAMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
kga10734
Don't Feed the Troll

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS & 1999 Corvette
What's the best product and easiest application to remove hard water spots off a red charger?

I don't know if your interested in the whole site or just Texas:

You may also want to post this up here in the Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

And here is a section for the vendors if you like
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84
Old 03-28-2010, 11:12 AM   #4
Dave2SSRS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kga10734 View Post
What's the best product and easiest application to remove hard water spots off a red charger?

I don't know if your interested in the whole site or just Texas:

You may also want to post this up here in the Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45

And here is a section for the vendors if you like
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=84

I too have hard water spots on the windshield and I've only had the car 3 days! Damn Houston water! LOL. Washed it and usually do the windows last. Well... figures the sun did a number on the windows. About to go grab a clay bar & some #0000 steel wool but was wondering if you had any other ideas?
Dave2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
jdeshler

Drives: 2010 Chevy Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpsyphered View Post
I too have hard water spots on the windshield and I've only had the car 3 days! Damn Houston water! LOL. Washed it and usually do the windows last. Well... figures the sun did a number on the windows. About to go grab a clay bar & some #0000 steel wool but was wondering if you had any other ideas?
I had the same problem with mine. I recently was put onto a waterspot remover from Hawaiian Island Shine. Works very well, and didn't need to scrub with a clay bar or steel wool. I used other stuff from the same company for detailing my car for the Corvette/Chevy Expo. PM me if you have any other questions.
jdeshler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:19 AM   #6
Big Turkey
Auto Adrenaline

Sorry I haven't responded, race season started so I have been real busy.

For hard water spots, if they have been there and baked into the clear for a long time then you will have to use any type of polish to get rid of them. The rougher the spots the more abrasive polish you will have to use.

If you have access to a polisher that will be your bet to get them off. If not you can do them by hand but there will be alot of rubbing if you are doing the entire car. On your charger I recommend using any type of finishing polish/glaze, like wolfgang's Finishing Glaze or Menzerna's Super Intensive Polish or Menzerna's 106fa. If you have never used Menzerna's products before, or have never used any type of these products before then I suggest reading up on their polishes. First time I used them I was buffing one section for like 30min because I could not get it to clear. Meguiar's #205 from their professional line works very well and will even get rid of very light swirl marks.

If you are looking to do swirl removal then you need to use a swirl remover followed by one of the above. I really like Meguiar's line. I use primarily #105 and #205 for my correction. The #105 is considered a compound and is pretty abrasive, so if you are unfamiliar with detailing then I recommend using a finishing pad with your polisher.. or don't rub as hard with your hand LOL.

As far as windows go, I use Perfect Vision's Diamondite glass cleaner. It looks like urine, but wiping with a microfiber glass towel, I have removed alot more than I expected from just wiping.

Good luck and if you need any help please feel free to PM me. I'll even come out to show you how to properly detail a small section of your vehicle if you'd like.

Wally

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-05-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
TIE FIGHTR
Cousin of Foo

Drives: 2010 2LT RS BLACK/BEIGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Turkey View Post
Sorry I haven't responded, race season started so I have been real busy.

For hard water spots, if they have been there and baked into the clear for a long time then you will have to use any type of polish to get rid of them. The rougher the spots the more abrasive polish you will have to use.

If you have access to a polisher that will be your bet to get them off. If not you can do them by hand but there will be alot of rubbing if you are doing the entire car. On your charger I recommend using any type of finishing polish/glaze, like wolfgang's Finishing Glaze or Menzerna's Super Intensive Polish or Menzerna's 106fa. If you have never used Menzerna's products before, or have never used any type of these products before then I suggest reading up on their polishes. First time I used them I was buffing one section for like 30min because I could not get it to clear. Meguiar's #205 from their professional line works very well and will even get rid of very light swirl marks.

If you are looking to do swirl removal then you need to use a swirl remover followed by one of the above. I really like Meguiar's line. I use primarily #105 and #205 for my correction. The #105 is considered a compound and is pretty abrasive, so if you are unfamiliar with detailing then I recommend using a finishing pad with your polisher.. or don't rub as hard with your hand LOL.

As far as windows go, I use Perfect Vision's Diamondite glass cleaner. It looks like urine, but wiping with a microfiber glass towel, I have removed alot more than I expected from just wiping.

Good luck and if you need any help please feel free to PM me. I'll even come out to show you how to properly detail a small section of your vehicle if you'd like.

Wally
Wally, maybe you could come out to a H-town Camaro club meeting or two to discuss and demonstrate?

Just a thought.

'I wish I was the full moon shining off a Camaro's hood' ~ Pearl Jam Wishlist
TIE FIGHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 11:55 AM   #8
Big Turkey
Auto Adrenaline

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIE FIGHTR View Post
Wally, maybe you could come out to a H-town Camaro club meeting or two to discuss and demonstrate?

Just a thought.
Sure... I drive a C6 though.. am I welcome

I have been attending cars and coffee every month as well if anyone would like to meet up during that. I do this part time and I work for Strictly Performance full time, and just last week I did 5 cars full detail. One was a 2010 blue camaro I wish I could have taken pictures but I was too slammed I forgot my camera.

When is the next Camaro meet? I have been getting busy lately since summer is coming around and everyone wants me to sweat all over their vehicle in the summer heat

Like us on Facebook!
Old 04-07-2010, 01:22 PM   #9
firstmate

Drives: 2010 Blk/Gry SS/RS M6
Hi, I just wanted to let you know that you can go to our club's forum (see my signature) and check out our calendar that lists our club events, as well as other events that some of our members attend. Cars and Coffee is one of them I think. Thanks for the PM, I have sent you one in return. I am definitely going to get you to do my car, asap!!!

Thanks!!!
VIN #2386
Delivered 6-11-09 - Woo Hoo!!!

Hey Houston locals--------

Join the H-Town Camaro Club
www.H-TownCamaroClub.com
firstmate is offline   Reply With Quote