Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-18-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS, 65 Mustang GT Fastback
DIY - 2010-2011 Camaro D1S HID bulb replacement instructions and photos

Once you take the black cap off of the headlight assembly you need to put your hand in and grasp the locking ring as shown in the first picture and turn it counter-clockwise. It is very tight and will twist, but you will have to put some muscle into it. If you have a large hand getting someone with a smaller hand would help a lot.

Once the ring is all the way counter-clockwise remove the bulb, but do not touch the lens as the oils in your hand will create hot spots on the bulb and burn it out faster.

Once the bulb is out of the headlight assembly remove the electrical plug on the ballast, that is the square thing the bulb is attached to. I did not remove the ground wire from the battery, but if you feel as you have to for your peace of mind then go for it. I changed the bulbs right after they were on numerous times and nothing happened.

Once the bulb is out you will see the locking ring as shown in pic two.

The ring comes off the base by pushing and then pulling the ring to one side as shown in pic three.

The removed locking is shown in pic four.

Holding the new D1S bulb put the locking ring back on and make sure it is turned to the Open position as it is marked on the ring. Reinsert the plug into the ballast, and again do not touch the bulb put it back into the headlight housing. Make sure the bulb is securely in place by ensuring the plug is facing straight down otherwise the beam will not be straight.

Twist the locking ring clockwise to lock it.

Do the other side. Hook up the negative battery cable if you disconnected it and turn on the headlights to make sure they light up.

If everything is Ok then put the black cap of the headlight assembly back on and congratulate yourself.

Get a beer or other appropriate beverage and enjoy your new lights.
Attached Images

3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
GearHeadPeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 04:22 PM   #2
Switchin2Chevy

Drives: Currently 2015 Mustang GT manual.
Just wondering, did you have to take off the bumper in order to get that done..?
Switchin2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Nope. The passenger one is easy, and if you have a CAI all you need to do is take off the filter and everything is right there. If you have the stock airbox that is a bit more tricky.
3rd Camaro on this forum to have a Mylink installed. Installation by GEN5DIY, Heritage Grill, Lloyds Premium Ebony Camaro RS floor mats, Empire Billet Camaro Black sill plates, AAC: LED footwell & interior lighting, Rear Courtesy Lights, LED side markers/turn signals, Plasma P13W DRl bulbs, Formula 1 Pinnacle Series tint, Roto-Fab Yellow CAI & Fuse cover, Technostalgia Afterburner LED taillights, EmblemPros custom V6 hydrocoated carbon fiber/RY engine cover, Pfadt Sport sway bars, Ofer's Backup Camera, and full Brembo brake conversion.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
metalemt
Urban Ninja

Drives: 2SS/RS CGM A6
Anyone tried this with aftermarket bulbs, I want 10k bulbs like I had in my silverado, would look sick with blue halos
metalemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Captain McFunk
Break Necks, Cash Checks

Drives: 2010 black Camaro 2SS/RS
Yes. I purchased D1S 6000k bulbs from my HID supplier for about $50. They work flawlessly. I LOVE them.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Switchin2Chevy

Cool so they seem like they're pretty easy to swap from the originals to aftermarket ones. I bought some 8000k's just waiting on them to get here...
Old 12-28-2010, 01:30 PM   #7
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Yea I did mention that, but I should have bolded it so that it would stand out better.
Old 12-28-2010, 02:10 PM   #8
Switchin2Chevy

oh yea thats true. Maybe I'll get an assist from the wife!
Old 12-28-2010, 03:55 PM   #9
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchin2Chevy View Post
oh yea thats true. Maybe I'll get an assist from the wife!
Those rings are in there pretty tight and takes quite a bit of effort to get them to turn, especially with your hand upside down. Hopefully the wife does not have long nails.
Old 12-28-2010, 04:46 PM   #10
copper3000
Troy

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro
Are the stock HIDs 6k or 8k?
copper3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #11
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by copper3000 View Post
Are the stock HIDs 6k or 8k?
I thought I heard they were 4300k. Definately not 8k.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
copper3000
Troy

I wonder if 6k would be a close match to my plasma DRLs from AAC?
Old 12-28-2010, 06:59 PM   #13
GearHeadPeter
US Navy Vet

The 6K's that I have have a tint of blue, and the higher the "K" the bluer it gets if that helps.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #14
copper3000
Troy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadPeter View Post
The 6K's that I have have a tint of blue, and the higher the "K" the bluer it gets if that helps.
That sounds like what my DRLs look like. Thanks!