Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-12-2013, 07:07 AM   #43
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftydriver View Post
I fully understand that this was not a block issue as you have explained very well.

My question is if there is actually a block out there that would have handled this BETTER then the LSX? From my understanding, the LSX, from a shear strength stand point is about the top of the pile.

Curious what the damage would have been with one of the top end aluminum blocks if the same thing occurred?

I an NO WHERE REMOTELY near anything you guys are at power wise, never will be but I understand your attitude, when you push the limits things break and when you push as hard as you guys are pushing, its not uncommon at all. Just part of the price to play the game, unfortunately a spendy part of the game.

Again, just curious if you think the LXS block handled the head lift as well as any other block would have. ITs amazing to think about an LSX block and heads lifting, WOW!!!
I don't think it would have mattered what kind of block it was. When the heads lifted it filled with water and hydro locked. Anytime this happens stuff is going to break.
Old 08-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #44
jrpxxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10aSSee D View Post
Who's doing your rebuild, Cincy?
No Cincy has never had anything to do with the motor work as Bischoff Racing Engines is who I use
Old 08-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #45
10aSSee D

Drives: Silver 2010 SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
No Cincy has never had anything to do with the motor work as Bischoff Racing Engines is who I use
Gotcha, was wondering if they were doing the install.

ADM built 417, 2.9L Whipple with 3.250 pulley, ADM ported and polished LSA heads,ADM stage3 cam,ADM LSA belt drive system,ADM CAI race scoop, ADM dual fuel pumps, ID 850's, BMR full suspension, Gforce 9 inch kit with 3.5 inch driveshaft, Street Slayer twin carbon clutch, Lingenfelter oil seperator. Tuned by built by ADM Performance, 763rwhp,705rwtq
10aSSee D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:17 AM   #46
Fiftydriver

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS RJT L99
Quote:
I don't think it would have mattered what kind of block it was. When the heads lifted it filled with water and hydro locked. Anytime this happens stuff is going to break.
YEP!!! Good luck with the rebuild and hope your back at it soon.

2010 SSRS, RJTC, L99, Maggie 2300 SC, 3.4" pulley, Roto-Fab CAI, Dynatech Supermaxx LT headers, Dynatech High Flow cats, Corsa Cat back exhaust, Dual Elite Engineering catch can, MSD wires and Jannetty custom tune, JRE custom diff w/ posi mod, 3.91 LPE gears, Pfaht trailing arms, Pfaht trailing arm and Diff bushings, drop springs and sport sway bars front and back, Fesler dual guage pillar pod w/ AM Cobalt Boost and A/F guages.

More to come!!
Fiftydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:47 PM   #47
JLE58

Drives: CGM,twin turbo, cam 2010 SS/RS
Hey Jrp what gaskets are you running?
JLE58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:06 PM   #48
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
Damn. Hope you get that beast up and running soon.
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST
SQUASH RETURN STYLE FS ID 850's E85/ FLEXFUEL
BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

lexlueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #49
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Jason, I spoke with/met a friend of yours today... Dave... We were discussing intakes... I like what I saw... Big time... Don't know with these bigger turbos if ill need that much but wow... Nice toys...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:00 PM   #50
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
This... I lifted heads on my ERL with Arp studs... Mine was more a case of be head flexing and allowing water to push out... Along with the flame front which washed the block and head...

We now have LSA heads rather than the LS3 heads..,LSA heads are much harder aluminum, just ask the guy that hand ported them for me... Oh the whining... Lol,,, we also drilled the holes and are now using oversized studs... 30 psi of boost and a nitrous shot on the dyno and haven't pushed a drop of water... The new studs and heads allow for somewhere on the order of 67,000 lbs more clamping force if I understood that correctly...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #51
jrpxxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSE 4 2SS View Post
Jason, I spoke with/met a friend of yours today... Dave... We were discussing intakes... I like what I saw... Big time... Don't know with these bigger turbos if ill need that much but wow... Nice toys...
Thanks. I spoke with the owner of BES who is doing my motor today and found out a lot. The timing is what caused it but it was only a tenth of a second that did all the damage. All gaskets were perfect and internally it cracked every piston and cracked the walls of the block along with a couple bent connecting rods so there was ALOT of pressure internally. The odd thing is that NOTHING was burnt or heated, which in turn tells us it was literally a split second that the heads lifted and destroyed everything that quickly. Thankfully I didn't stay in it any longer or it would have been pure carnage. Now on to the next interesting find is that this motor was torqueing so hard under power that the crank was flexing a lot as the cog belt was trying to pull the crank out of the motor, thus causing the belt breaking issue and possibly whipping the belt and crank and throwing the timing out as well.

Now the positive out of all of this. I am getting a new RHS aluminum block and all new pistons and rods to get even more power from motor alone. The next HUGE improvement is there is no longer a cog drive, it is now converted over to a gear drive setup which will give more power and tons more reliability as there is zero strain on the motor compared to a cog belt as the blower is now driven directly off the front of the crank. I am moving forward as fast as possible with all of this but I am super excited to get this new setup as I kick myself now for not looking into this originally. I will now be able to push all the blower and all the nitrous without the worry of a cog setup as the gear drive is 100% efficient.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #52
Pro Stock John
Writer

Drives: 2010 SS / 1967 Camaro
Gear drive ftw.

Involve Patrick in the tune when you get this one back together something wasn't right last time because BES builds great stuff. And if there was a split second of too much timing it was in the tune or something else wasn't right.... Wasn't weather.
12.37@112 1.85 | + Kooks Headers/Cats + 20" 555R + CAI + BW TB + UDP + Tune
12.06@113 1.70 | + CD 3200 + 18" NT05R + RCR Intake + NE OTR + GPI Tune
11.84@115 1.59 | + 3.91s + Race Star 17x7 Fronts
10.90@125 1.47 | + GPI VVT Cam + BW Ported Heads + CD 3800
Pro Stock John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 PM   #53
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I saw a gear drive on a 7 second mustang last year at Cecil County. It was the craziest setup I've ever seen. It's going be kick ass when your done!!

Good luck!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:57 PM   #54
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Completely off topic, but what was your time when you shut it down at the 1000' mark? Or are you keeping that under wraps for now?

Looking forward to seeing what you and this bad monster can do once everything is worked out.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #55
jrpxxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Completely off topic, but what was your time when you shut it down at the 1000' mark? Or are you keeping that under wraps for now?

Looking forward to seeing what you and this bad monster can do once everything is worked out.
I was just doing a test run to make sure car wanted to go straight and everything felt right. I left off foot brake and rolled into throttle and never even hit shift light as this was a soft run and when I hit 3rd gear I layed into the throttle and it popped at 1000' and car shutoff and I cruised through traps after that at 9.34 at 150mph
Old 08-12-2013, 10:13 PM   #56
jrpxxii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
Gear drive ftw.

Involve Patrick in the tune when you get this one back together something wasn't right last time because BES builds great stuff. And if there was a split second of too much timing it was in the tune or something else wasn't right.... Wasn't weather.
John - I tried contacting Patrick several times to do a tune as I know he is one of the best in the country but I cant get a response as I know he mainly deals with the "big boys" but it would be nice if I could get him to look it over when I get it back. Yes, BES builds some of the baddest motors in the country.