Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-25-2012, 03:18 PM   #43
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Wow where did this thread go?! GM doesn't give a flip about an individual's insurance cost... I'm sure.

The hp/tq marketing I referred to was in addition to all the other specs listed in GM's official releases. Which by the way has this car being built in Ramos Arizpe, Mexico.

I am sure in a few weeks when these hit the street members here will be all too happy to share their stock dyno numbers as they get their 1LE swag on. I for one am very interested to see what they will look like. Maybe they look just like the SS and it will be uneventful as we all try to describe the "1LE feel" difference.
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #44
Kent2010

Drives: Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by toehead93 View Post
Yes and No, maybe. If 4th gear is a 1:1 ratio then you won't see the power on a dyno which is pulled in 4th gear, but gears 1, 2, & 3 will see gains. Gears also push the power band forward so peak torque shifts to a lower RPM. Check out this link:

http://thehorsepowerjunkies.com/vehi...swappin-gears/

Now even though the 1LE has 3.91 gears it won't make such a big difference because the trans is also geared differently.
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you if you are saying that dyno numbers will markedly improve just because you switch R&P gears. If that was true, then ALL dyno tests would be run only in 1st gear, because its the lowest numerically and delivers, by a very wide margin, the most 'torque to the ground' to the rear wheels, and thus would give the highest result out of all the gears in the transmission. In real life, many cars give the best dyno numbers in 3rd or 4th gears.

Also, an engine's peak torque doesn't move in the rpm band just because you switch gears -- it just becomes available at a lower vehicle speed. Maybe that's what you meant?

Cheers,
Kent
Kent2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #45
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
Here's a link for full carbon fiber bow ties for front and back:

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=2018

Yeah I saw those too, but think it would look really good with a black border around the carbon fiber. I dont really like the full carbon fiber look and I can do what I said for a great deal cheaper. It always gives me more pride in my vehicle to know I did some modifications by hand, however small they may be. I saw a ZL1 with a similar bowtie as i am referring to. I will see if I can find and post the pic.
ST1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #46
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST1LE View Post
Yeah I saw those too, but think it would look really good with a black border around the carbon fiber. I dont really like the full carbon fiber look and I can do what I said for a great deal cheaper. It always gives me more pride in my vehicle to know I did some modifications by hand, however small they may be. I saw a ZL1 with a similar bowtie as i am referring to. I will see if I can find and post the pic.
See again ... click the Style option. Black bordered option is there!

http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=2018
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #47
tramtwo

So it would seem that a lot of future 1LE owners new to this forum don't really understand the thread concept yet or "Camaro." I would hope it is not cause we are just being disrespectful.

THIS thread was started to discuss torque... most every thread in this 1LE sub forum has gone way off topic. Not trying to control anyone. But wading through several topics in one thread discourages those more experienced members from contributing. It also makes having any sort of reference resource for learning useless.

/end rant
Old 10-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #48
tramtwo

Quote:
Yes and No, maybe. If 4th gear is a 1:1 ratio then you won't see the power on a dyno which is pulled in 4th gear, but gears 1, 2, & 3 will see gains. Gears also push the power band forward so peak torque shifts to a lower RPM. Check out this link:

Now even though the 1LE has 3.91 gears it won't make such a big difference because the trans is also geared differently.
That was a good read.... even a newbie like me can begin to get the jist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent2010 View Post
I'll have to respectfully disagree with you if you are saying that dyno numbers will markedly improve just because you switch R&P gears. If that was true, then ALL dyno tests would be run only in 1st gear, because its the lowest numerically and delivers, by a very wide margin, the most 'torque to the ground' to the rear wheels, and thus would give the highest result out of all the gears in the transmission. In real life, many cars give the best dyno numbers in 3rd or 4th gears.

Also, an engine's peak torque doesn't move in the rpm band just because you switch gears -- it just becomes available at a lower vehicle speed. Maybe that's what you meant?

Cheers,
Kent
So the useable torque is what GM was going after with the change of transmission and the gears. So not only peak numbers but the dyno curve will also be interesting. Wonder how this will affect tunes and bolt ons?
Old 10-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #49
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
So it would seem that a lot of future 1LE owners new to this forum don't really understand the thread concept yet or "Camaro." I would hope it is not cause we are just being disrespectful.

THIS thread was started to discuss torque... most every thread in this 1LE sub forum has gone way off topic. Not trying to control anyone. But wading through several topics in one thread discourages those more experienced members from contributing. It also makes having any sort of reference resource for learning useless.

/end rant
Fair point. My bad for adding to it. We have gone from HP to sub-discussions on Handling to Badging to Target Market.
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #50
tramtwo

Recap

Quote:
So adding the 1LE performance package to an SS doesn't increase torque?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberPredator View Post
No it doesn't. Tq multiplication increases because of the 3.91 gear, but actual flywheel tq stays the same. Same exact LS3 that's in the SS
Quote:
Ok so will there be more torque to the ground? I thought just adding 3.91 gears you'd get at least a 10% increase to the ground.
Quote:
Torque to the ground? That isn't a standard measurement that I've ever heard of, since it encompasses so many variables (transmission type, trans gearing, rear end gears, tire size, friction losses due to gearing cut type, etc etc)

The 1LE will definitely *feel* snappier bc of the 3.91's (thus explaining the high demand for the 3.91's), but that's just the multiplier effect of the higher gear ratio, not an increase of torque produced by the motor.

We might say that the 1LE has greater 'fake torque' than a standard SS... LoL
(Come on... its a joke!)
Quote:
And a funny one at that. So for the uninformed. What would that snappier feel be measured as?
Quote:
Fake torque = REar wheel torque that you see on a chasis dyno. I think a lot people consider theis real torque since this is the actual power getting to the ground. An engine can make all the power in the world but if you cant get it to the wheels efficiently it is worthless. The manufacturer engine ratings use flywheel ratings from an engine dyno.
Quote:
So will the 1LE equipped SS dyno with more torque?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Remains to be seen. Will definitely be interesting to see.

For what it's worth - it absolutely feels and performs more quickly than an SS. But it's a matter of smart engineering vs. just adding more power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Besides, the only numbers that matter are at the finish line, not at the dyno.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natmad View Post
Seems to be some confusion about the 3.91 gears. Along with the change in the rear end to 3.91 gears, the 1LE also gets different transmission ratios making overall performance in each gear (1-6) similar. I think the main differences will be seen in 2nd, 3rd and 4th for increased road course performance. Someone with internet skills can probably link to the gear ratios and speed at redline info for each gear from another thread.

Putting 3.91 gears in a standard SS would make much more of a torque multiplying type effect at the wheels that some are talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Yup! +1. Can't forget the transmission itself, it was changed, too.

The lower gears are a tad shorter overall, but more importantly, better-matched to a track environment versus the street.

The higher gears, notably 5th and 6th...actually end up taller than an SS overall...engine spins slower, could see a fuel-economy benefit there...
Quote:
So we dont know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
GM didn't re-certify the HP/Tq ratings of the LS3 with 1LE options. They used the same SAE rated figures the LS3 has had in the Camaro M6 since 2010 MY.

The 1LE optioned LS3 with electric steering and dual mode exhaust should have more power than the standard SS variant.

But owners will have to prove it with dyno and performance testing on their own.
Quote:
Good point that i forgot about. The 1LE is making more power to the ground with the lighter wheels and tires also. This reduction in unsprung weight will help accelerate and brake better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
I heard in another thread that the dual mode exhaust doesn't add any horsepower to the rear wheels. It was said that no aftermarket cat-back systems add power, they're strictly for sound if you don't add headers. Not sure how true that is.
Quote:
Well all I know is that for me coming from a ss vert with gm's 21's and an extra 200+ pounds I am sure to be impressed!! Especially after I put on the headers and cai on and let Ted have a go at it.

Am willing to offer the car for science... anyone local want to do some before and after dyno testing?
Quote:
So if I put some 4.56 gears in my stock SS, and go put it on a chassis dyno, that dyno will now show my car as making more torque than all other stock SS Camaros? And since the Horsepower number that the dyno gives me is actually mathematically derived from the torque curve, I now have more HP than stock too?
Quote:
I think the numbers should be moved for better marketing. But hell GM doesn't even have a 1LE Tee shirt out yet. The reality is that this car will not appeal to most Camaro owners and will probably be the least sold of all the configurations except maybe the zl1 vert. Maybe they'll let me print the tee's.

Slogans, we need slogans!!
Quote:

Quote:

Cheers,
Kent
Old 10-25-2012, 04:44 PM   #51
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
This... clean stealth bomber look for me. All my vehicles are shades of black. LoL but you gotta leave the bowtie on. Anything less is just uncivilized.

I'll probably leave the SS logo on the body color grille the dealer sells.

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....
EPIC FAIL IMO on GMs part for a GINORMOUS gold emblem. Looks silly
Old 10-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #52
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
I should have added that it will either be flat black or billet aluminum.

Sent from my friggin Droid by two thumbs using Tapatalk 2 or whatever the ish it's called....
Old 10-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #53
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
Hm.

Can't mistake what's coming up on you real fast, that way.

I kinda like it...