Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 09-01-2010, 09:26 AM   #15
Dedlydragoness

Drives: 2010 Red\Black Camaro 1LT M6
Send a message via AIM to Dedlydragoness
Quote:
Originally Posted by getarz4u15ster View Post
haha I've not taken my Camaro to the Track once yet since i've bought it. I've Done all this work to it too..it's definitely not a garage queen... but then again i don't want to blow-up a 40K car at the moment especially now that the warranty is void because of the motor work that's been done.. guess you pay to play though.

You can pre register now, and you don't have to pay anything until you get to timonium. The pre register just secures your spot. link is below....

http://www.timoniumchevrolet.com/WebSiteSurvey
Believe me man, this will not be a regular thing, just once in a while and am def not going to pound the hell out of it, launch easy and then shift hard and def not a burnout on them expensive ass tires, lol. This is my only car.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:44 AM   #16
Dedlydragoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 2-Tone View Post
I have a catback and cai and I ran a 13.0 with a 2.0 60ft. All I did was slip the clutch a little just to get it rolling and bang the gears. Ran out the back at 110mph in 3rd gear.
BTW, I love the stripes. I was just curious once you roll out from the light, what RPM do you shift at to bang the gears?
Old 09-01-2010, 06:10 PM   #17
vernal

Drives: 2010 2SS ABM 6M;1992 5.0 LX Hatch
Quote:
No problem, thought you might wanna come and hang out meet some of the other C5 people around.

I will soon be moving right next to 75-80 in New Market. If the track doesn't hook up, like I've heard from other people in the past, I'm thinking some Nitto 555R's will do the trick! =O). Have you thought about buying a set of Drag Radials to put on your stock wheels, that should help you get a nice launch without burning up the clutch. A set of Nitto DR's 305-35-20's fit nicely on the stock SS rim. It's cheaper than buying a new clutch... =O)
I'm hoping a good amount of hanging out will occur at the track. I have to be up at 5 every morning, and I don't like hearing that alarm go off if I don't have to.

In my skewed view of the world, DRs are cheating. This is my DD, and I guess my instinct from my early and stupid days is to maximize the performance on regular tires. DRs were new and expensive when I was being stupid, and I was able to use that fact to my advantage when meeting up with and negotiating with someone who had them. I was actually upset after buying the Camaro when I found out I had summer only tires on it!

Thats why I was trying clutch-safe launches before. My 5.0 will eventually become my full-time drag car, once I figure what I want to do with it. It will of course have proper shoes. I just want to learn how to properly use what Chevy sold me. If not for the warranty, I'd just put gears on it and call it good.

vernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 06:27 PM   #18
vernal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedlydragoness View Post
I guess my question would be, what RPM are you launching at and do you have traction? From my experience with street tires, my 60 ft's were horrible but when on race tires, launching and maintaining a good 60 ft was not an issue. Like the other guy said you def need to invest in DR's of whatever brand. Since you have an SS, I would imagine with good traction you could get your times down to low 13's, high 12's with a 60 ft of the 1.80-1.90 range, no?

I have seen some pretty good runs at 75-80 and very fast cars putting some great times down. Budds Creek is a good track too. Maybe for our track time in October, we should all go to Budds Creek and see if you do better out there. I am a beginner M6 racer myself, but I have seen some mean runs from previous M6 owners, with minimal mods getting great 60 ft's and times in a 1\4 mile.

Do you ever go to Capital by chance, just curious since I go up there to hang on Fridays sometimes?
No, I haven't been to Capital yet, but I've been thinking about it. I think its closer than Budds Creek to me, but its not exactly close.

I've launched off idle all the way to 4500 rpm, in every computer setting. I am avoiding DRs for ridiculous personal reasons, basically the Camaro is my DD and once I replace a valve spring and some other stuff my Mustang will be my drag car. I like driving manuals because of the challenge, and street tires increase the challenge. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with line locks and trans brakes and slicks or anything, to each his own and everyone has their own purpose at the track. I'm just getting irritated that I can't surmount the challenge I've set for myself.

I also always run the car with a full tank of gas, so that my times will stay consistent and not vary due to weight, so I expect the times to be higher than normal but I can properly evaluate my technique that way. Its just the way I have fun. Without a basis for comparison (times from other stock m6 camaros) I'm having trouble deciding if I'm just pathetic or if there is a better way.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:28 PM   #19
vernal

Quote:
Hey I've seen them used.. I don't if they make a set for our the stock 20s.. but I'm not sure about that

Here's a link to my tuner (Dave) with is 1058hp 5th Gen @ Maryland Performance Center up in Frederick.. His car has MT's mounted on custom 18" forglines. Of course he needs it. =O)

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...aro/index.html

I had a bad experience with Maryland Performance, I won't use them for anything. I hope things work out better for you.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:37 PM   #20
vernal

Quote:
haha I've not taken my Camaro to the Track once yet since i've bought it. I've Done all this work to it too..it's definitely not a garage queen... but then again i don't want to blow-up a 40K car at the moment especially now that the warranty is void because of the motor work that's been done.. guess you pay to play though.

You can pre register now, and you don't have to pay anything until you get to timonium. The pre register just secures your spot. link is below....

http://www.timoniumchevrolet.com/WebSiteSurvey
Avoid power shifting and super sticky tires and you shouldn't blow anything up. If you're serious about running the Camaro at its best I think smaller rims to increase the effective rear-gear ratio will help, along with the sticky rubber. I don't know that DRs grab well enough to break anything, but I'm not positive.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #21
vernal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedlydragoness View Post
BTW, I love the stripes. I was just curious once you roll out from the light, what RPM do you shift at to bang the gears?
I go to redline myself. I guy I met said that when they dynoed his car (ss m6) when it was stock that the engine could benefit from raising the limiter, so his conclusion was get the most rpms you can from it without triggering the limiter. The 6 is an amazing engine but needs rpms, so my guess would be to do the same as me.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #22
Dedlydragoness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernal View Post
I go to redline myself. I guy I met said that when they dynoed his car (ss m6) when it was stock that the engine could benefit from raising the limiter, so his conclusion was get the most rpms you can from it without triggering the limiter. The 6 is an amazing engine but needs rpms, so my guess would be to do the same as me.
I can say that when I am on the street and play around, I go up to 6k. When we meet up and go to 75-80, I will be launching softly and shifting really hard at least 6k and up, no burnouts though. Yeah I hear ya about using DR's, at the time though I was really into going fast and getting the best traction I could get. Had a race car in progress but is gone. So now to not break anything, I shall stick with street tires and race her here and there. Talking to you guys, makes me realize I have a lot to learn about the new platform, lol.

Not serious about running this car since it is my daily, but would love to by a 3rd gen or something in a year or so and run that. If you are in G-burg then Capital is def closer to you I think.
Old 09-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #23
getarz4u15ster

Drives: Camaro RJT 2SS/RS
Well, Since I put the Cam, and Valve Springs in them had it tuned... I'm pulling pretty hard all the way up to 7200rpm. limiter is set at 7500..I shift at 7000rpm to give my self a 200rpm buffer...If i have the TC off and running around 4000rpm i can stomp and break'em loose pretty easy. However I remember the first time i ran it up that high and was super scared but the car screams now. Seems like the more miles i put on the cam the better it gets. The headers, Intake and Exhaust really helped the car breath too. We'll see what it does at the track i guess. =o)
Manley Race Valves
Comp Chromoly push-rods
Ported T/B
DT Headers, JBA H/F Catted mid pipes
Magna Flow Comp series exhaust w/ Xpipe
Comp Custom grind Cam
Tune and Machine work done by MPC
CAI Intake
getarz4u15ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM   #24
vernal

Quote:
Well, Since I put the Cam, and Valve Springs in them had it tuned... I'm pulling pretty hard all the way up to 7200rpm. limiter is set at 7500..I shift at 7000rpm to give my self a 200rpm buffer...If i have the TC off and running around 4000rpm i can stomp and break'em loose pretty easy. However I remember the first time i ran it up that high and was super scared but the car screams now. Seems like the more miles i put on the cam the better it gets. The headers, Intake and Exhaust really helped the car breath too. We'll see what it does at the track i guess. =o)
Wow, you don't mess around when you're modifying, do you? Sounds like a sweet setup!

Old 09-02-2010, 08:29 PM   #25
Pitttbulll
Pitttbulll

Drives: 2010 Victory Red 2/SS
Quote:
I had a bad experience with Maryland Performance, I won't use them for anything. I hope things work out better for you.
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with Maryland Performance.
I got a little carried away modding my 2010 and George and Dave really took care of me and the results turned out awesome.
Hope everything worked out good for you.
I'm trying to make the Cruise but I'm going to have to pass on the 75-80 part.
I went last year but we we're all pretty much stock then.
Can't wait to see some of the crazy mods our C5'ers have done since.
Pitttbulll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 09:08 PM   #26
getarz4u15ster

Mods..

Quote:
Wow, you don't mess around when you're modifying, do you? Sounds like a sweet setup!
Well i have the advantage of having a full service shop with a lift to work out of at my house, and I do all my own work (except tuning.. that's where Dave @ Maryland Performance comes in) so that saved a ton of money in labor.

I'm prepping it for a SC of some sort (maybe a whipple) when the money is right... i figure i'll just build the motor to handle the boost when i do decide throw some serious money at it.
Manley Race Valves
Comp Chromoly push-rods
Ported T/B
Comp Custom grind Cam
CAI Intake
Old 09-03-2010, 07:47 AM   #27
Daniel2010Camaro

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS
Nice meeting you the other night on my birthday Vernal. I dont know if you saw but the lowering of my TP did nothing for my time. I actually went slower. The track itself, its probably the worst it has ever been. I am happy they decided to put their money to paving the return road but theyve decided that the sunday races would stop. This put the other classes in on friday and saturday nights. Now your are getting less runs on a track that has no grip from the 1/8 on. With me putting down about 410-415 hp at the wheels, i was breaking second and third loose power shifting. I was chirping with granny shifts.

As far as the launch goes, the car will not launch without a tire. Every single camaro owner ive talked to has said the same thing, the best your gonna do is a 2.1 ith clutch pain. If you want to go fast on stock tires, your going to need 4.10s in the rear, and tuner to up your shift point. and smaller rims to lower your rotational mass.

Rims- I dont know if you have ever pulled a wheel off or looked at the specs, but them dam things are like 60 something pounds a pop mounted. On a heavy as car like ours, losing 80 pounds in rim would make like .2-.3 difference in track times.

Shift Point- The power bandon these cars is rediculously high. Withthestock tune, the rev limiter prevent you from upshifting into the power band. By getting a tuner for your car and changing the rev limit to 7500 like mine, you can shift at about 7200 and come back down into the bottom of your band. This makes a huge difference, because as we know these cars are all top end. That night was a bad experience so i probably wont return to 75-80 but i might be doing labor day at budds creek. Who knows.
Daniel2010Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:07 AM   #28
getarz4u15ster

Top end..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel2010Camaro View Post
Nice meeting you the other night on my birthday Vernal. I dont know if you saw but the lowering of my TP did nothing for my time. I actually went slower. The track itself, its probably the worst it has ever been. I am happy they decided to put their money to paving the return road but theyve decided that the sunday races would stop. This put the other classes in on friday and saturday nights. Now your are getting less runs on a track that has no grip from the 1/8 on. With me putting down about 410-415 hp at the wheels, i was breaking second and third loose power shifting. I was chirping with granny shifts.

As far as the launch goes, the car will not launch without a tire. Every single camaro owner ive talked to has said the same thing, the best your gonna do is a 2.1 ith clutch pain. If you want to go fast on stock tires, your going to need 4.10s in the rear, and tuner to up your shift point. and smaller rims to lower your rotational mass.

Rims- I dont know if you have ever pulled a wheel off or looked at the specs, but them dam things are like 60 something pounds a pop mounted. On a heavy as car like ours, losing 80 pounds in rim would make like .2-.3 difference in track times.

Shift Point- The power bandon these cars is rediculously high. Withthestock tune, the rev limiter prevent you from upshifting into the power band. By getting a tuner for your car and changing the rev limit to 7500 like mine, you can shift at about 7200 and come back down into the bottom of your band. This makes a huge difference, because as we know these cars are all top end. That night was a bad experience so i probably wont return to 75-80 but i might be doing labor day at budds creek. Who knows.
Dan's Right about the "Shift Point" Section these cars are happy to run up in the high rpm range all day... I noticed if i shift at around 7200 (keeping in mind you've had a tune like we have) rpms fall right back down to the beginning of the power band and it's ripping you back in the seat again there's no lag there at all..

Now you've got me all worried about the track and i don't want to run my car down at 75-80. I've heard it's not the nicest place to go... ohh well still should be fun for the cruise next weekend.
Manley Race Valves
Comp Chromoly push-rods
Ported T/B
Comp Custom grind Cam
CAI Intake