Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 10-06-2013, 06:49 PM   #15
ilirg

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ss
just finished ordering everything it looks like Im going to need. Looking forward to seeing how this comes out, not only for the rubbing compound f up, but the rest of the car as well.

Thanks again
ilirg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #16
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
Ilirig, we're here for you and I think you'll find not only is it not that difficult, you'll do yourself proud.

Ricamaro, the purpose of the detail section of the forum is for enthusiast to not only swap stories, but learn. Just going to a pro detailer is only going to put money in your detailers pocket. What happens in between full details? He's going to want to learn proper in between maintenance as well.

Finally, I don't care how long you hand polish, you are not going to correct it. Remember "correct" was the operative word. If you take a bright light to the area you hand rubbed with rubbing compound, you'll see it will not be corrected. In fact it's probably worse. To correct the damage from the rubbing compound you're going to need to use a two step process, from aggressive to less aggressive to polish out the damage. Then Glaze, seal, and wax.

I don't think we're trying to be confrontational here as much as we are trying to help ilirig learn the correct technique to fix the errors of his original ways. (Ilirig, don't forget to clay first after you've properly washed the car). Also, enjoy the passion. It's damn fun.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:06 PM   #17
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiSSDiver View Post
Ilirig, we're here for you and I think you'll find not only is it not that difficult, you'll do yourself proud.

Ricamaro, the purpose of the detail section of the forum is for enthusiast to not only swap stories, but learn. Just going to a pro detailer is only going to put money in your detailers pocket. What happens in between full details? He's going to want to learn proper in between maintenance as well.

Finally, I don't care how long you hand polish, you are not going to correct it. Remember "correct" was the operative word. If you take a bright light to the area you hand rubbed with rubbing compound, you'll see it will not be corrected. In fact it's probably worse. To correct the damage from the rubbing compound you're going to need to use a two step process, from aggressive to less aggressive to polish out the damage. Then Glaze, seal, and wax.

I don't think we're trying to be confrontational here as much as we are trying to help ilirig learn the correct technique to fix the errors of his original ways. (Ilirig, don't forget to clay first after you've properly washed the car). Also, enjoy the passion. It's damn fun.
Great post.

What's the point in getting your car corrected if you don't have the technique or know-how to maintain it?

And hand polishing is just moot in this day and age, except in extreme cases. Save the time and get better results by just going with a polisher from the get-go instead of wasting money on hand polishing products.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #18
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
OP, glad to hear you've decided to make the investment to take care of it yourself!

We like that option around here.

Keep up posted on your results and if you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'm happy to help.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #19
ilirg

Quick question, after I'm done with my final go of polishing with the Maguire's 205, will I need to apply a wax or sealent to protect the paint? I'm guessing yes lol, but want to make sure
Old 10-08-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Yes, I would use a sealant, then glaze it and finally throw some good wax on it
Old 10-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #21
WiSSDiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinman View Post
Yes, I would use a sealant, then glaze it and finally throw some good wax on it
With Adams, yes. Everything else Glaze, Seal then wax.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #22
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
If you did your polishing properly there's no need to touch a glaze.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #23
ilirg

Ok guys so I started my paint correction today. Went step by step as per junkman's video, thought everything looked great, then I shine a light on my work and there are like phantom marks left by the polish, I wiped it down with the detail spray and nothing changed. I'm not sure what I did wrong, I followed the directions to a T. The good news is that the original scratched left by the rubbing compound are gone, but now I have this new problem to work out :(

Is it maybe because I did not work the polish in long enough?

Last edited by ilirg; 10-14-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:49 PM   #24
ec1990

Drives: 2012 AGM SS
Are you sure you wiped it all off? May want to try an IPA wipedown.
ec1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 08:16 PM   #25
WiSSDiver

Which polisher did you end up using?
Old 10-14-2013, 08:45 PM   #26
ilirg

The PC 7424. I wiped it down as best I could with a waffle weave towel and the detail spray.
Old 10-14-2013, 08:46 PM   #27
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilirg View Post
The PC 7424. I wiped it down as best I could with a waffle weave towel and the detail spray.
Like the guys said, try some IPA. You might just have polish left over. It'd be pretty unusual for you to have left any buffer trails with a PC.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-15-2013, 10:17 AM   #28
ilirg

Wiped down with the alcohol, looks a little better. Now that I got it in direct sunlight it just looks like I didn't do a good enough job polishing. There are still swirl marks and micro scratches.