Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 07-24-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

Drives: Blac on Blaq on Blak 2012 Camaro LS
Tire rotation

So the manual says the tires should be rotated, but it does not specifically explain how to do this. After some searching online I've discovered that there are directionL and unidirectional tires. My tires are showing barely any wear at all for 42,000 but I like to stay on schedule with these things (pics in a few). So gurus, what's the word on DIY tire rotation 2012 Camaro LS?

Adjustments: 20% tint all around, Emblem Pros Dash plaque, Rockford Fosgate P-300/12
Oneflyenyceguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:57 PM   #2
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
Back to front.
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
SSJ455

Drives: "Kara Zor-El" 2017 2SS HBM
Are all four the same size?
Dangerzoooooone.

SSJ455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #4
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJ455 View Post
Are all four the same size?
Yes 19's I believe

Adjustments: 20% tint all around, Emblem Pros Dash plaque, Rockford Fosgate P-300/12
Old 07-24-2014, 03:27 PM   #5
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
The only time you get "credit" for rotating your tires (when applied to mileage warranties on tires) is if you're able to rotate your tires off of the drive axle. In the case of the SS, ZL1, and any RS-equipped Camaros, our front and rear tires are different sizes, so we cannot meet this warranty requirement for the rear tires and subsequently lose any claims we may have, although we do still get the front tire warranties.

For the LS and LT Camaros (non RS), I don't know if your tires are the same front to rear. If they are the same size, then you can rotate them front to rear. If they are directional treads (indicated on the sidewall of the tire), they have to stay on the same side of the car. If they are non-directional, then you can do a traditional rotation where the front tires go straight back and the rear tires swap sides when going to the front.

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #6
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneflyenyceguy View Post
Yes 19's I believe
What about the width?

Cosmetic: ZL1 front w/mailslot, painted stripes, powdercoated SS rims, tow hook, and full chrome delete

Suspension: Pfadt subframe bushings, Pfadt rear UCA bushings, Z28 Upper control arms, Spohn trailing arms with BMR trailing arm & differential bushings, ZL1 Toe Rods and springs, Prothane radius arm inserts & steering rack bushing, Pfadt Sport front sway, FE4 conversion w/ DS rear sway, Pfadt strut brace

Drivetrain: RMCR tune, CAI intake, Kooks headers, hi-flo cats & exhaust, VMAX TB, ZL1 fuel pump, LSR Tri-Ax shifter

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Old 07-24-2014, 03:32 PM   #7
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexman1349 View Post
What about the width?
Idk just know they are 19's and the same size all around. When I get my hands on a good electric impact wrench it's on

Old 07-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #8
sstephen17

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS BRM
I have a potentially stupid question. I have a 2014 2LT/RS. I understand the tires sizes on the front are different from the rear but is it possible (without modifying the car itself) to put tires on of the same size for the front and back?
sstephen17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:50 PM   #9
Oneflyenyceguy
Hmm...Something Clever

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen17 View Post
I have a potentially stupid question. I have a 2014 2LT/RS. I understand the tires sizes on the front are different from the rear but is it possible (without modifying the car itself) to put tires on of the same size for the front and back?
Yes sir. The lug nuts aren't different sizes just the wheels. IMO go with a good set of 20's all the way around.

Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #10
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Originally Posted by sstephen17 View Post
Mmmm, two different ways to respond: 1. Yes, you can put the same size tires and same size rims on the 2LT/RS, changing rims in the process. 2. Yes, you can physically put the same size tire on the existing rims, but incur tire wear and potential tire damage if you stretch a smaller tire to fit on the larger rim.

Can you do it? Yes. Should you do it? Only you can answer. I wouldn't on my 2012 2LT/RS.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 PM   #11
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Putting the same size wheels & tires on all 4 corners is referred to as a "square" setup. Most who do that here on C5 will do a 20x9 or 20x10 wheel (20" diameter, 9" or 10" width), also using the same appropriately sized tire for each corner. Any wider than that becomes a challenge due to other constraints. Anything narrower puts your rear tires at a disadvantage over the stock 20x9's typically found on RS and SS packages.

Bumblebee Racecar Build
Old 07-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #12
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Idk just know they are 19's and the same size all around. When I get my hands on a good electric impact wrench it's on
It's very simple... They have pictures in your Owner's Manual under the "Tire Rotation" section.

If you have directional tires, there will be an arrow on the sidewall of the tire, indicating the direction of tire rotation. DO NOT ROTATE DIRECTIONAL TIRES!

If you have Unidirectional tires (like with most RS trim packages or the SSs have), they will say "Outside" on the sidewall of the tire. You should rotate them SIDE TO SIDE ONLY because the front and rear tires are different widths. Fronts stay on front. Rears stay on rear.

If you have tires that are (all four) identical sizes (like the standard LS tires), rotate them in the typical cross pattern. Rear to front on same side, front to rear to the opposite side.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 03:55 PM   #13
RJT Impala
Stovebolt BluFlame 6

Drives: '12 2LT/RS, IBM; '20 Traverse Prem
Quote:
Yes sir. The lug nuts aren't different sizes just the wheels. IMO go with a good set of 20's all the way around.
He already has 20 inch wheels with the RS package. They are different widths front to rear and consequently different tire sizes.
RJT Impala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 04:19 PM   #14
Phail

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS M6 IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
It's very simple... They have pictures in your Owner's Manual under the "Tire Rotation" section.

If you have directional tires, there will be an arrow on the sidewall of the tire, indicating the direction of tire rotation. DO NOT ROTATE DIRECTIONAL TIRES!

If you have Unidirectional tires (like with most RS trim packages or the SSs have), they will say "Outside" on the sidewall of the tire. You should rotate them SIDE TO SIDE ONLY because the front and rear tires are different widths. Fronts stay on front. Rears stay on rear.

If you have tires that are (all four) identical sizes (like the standard LS tires), rotate them in the typical cross pattern. Rear to front on same side, front to rear to the opposite side.
All you need to ever know right there.

I do side to side rotation yearly on my stocks - since the backs are fatties.

I do cross pattern with my winters - since they are all 18x8's
Phail is offline   Reply With Quote