Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-04-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
c-dub
It's that guy

Drives: 2011 SIM SS/RS
Great Dane

Hello all,

Just throwing this out there for possible wisdom in this field. I'm getting a Great Dane this week and was wondering if there were any other owners on this forum? Maybe hook me up with some helpful tips as far as raising/training and eventual transporting the pup in the Camaro Thanks!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 AM   #2
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
Past Great Dane owner and breeder. My sweet girl has passed away now and very much missed. She was a fawn color and lived to be 12 years old which is pretty good for that breed . My ex wife is still a breeder and shows all over the east coast.
What color are you getting ? Male- female ? And how old.. that will be a site in a Camaro. I had to always have a BLazer or last was a Yukon to carry our pack around. Ours loved to ride.
They are very loving and our Dames all loved kids. People tend to shy away sometimes due to there size. Mine thought she was a lap dog at around 125 lbs. Females are always going to be smaller in size and features. Just to give you a idea of full size..mine had her own day bed as she got up in age. Plus she was a indoor kind of girl ,hated to get wet !
Anyway post a picture when you get yours and thanks for making me think of my sweet Dane.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #3
c-dub
It's that guy

Wow Bee Sting that's so cool that you used to have one, sorry that she passed away and you're right 12 years is great for the breed!

We're getting a puppy she's just about 12 weeks old now. She's kinda dark greyish color. I can't wait to bring her home, probably toward the end of the week. I'll definetely post pics of her though. Lol I'm a little worried about getting her around in the Camaro once she's grown, but I suppose I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. maybe I should just get another vehicle? lol we'll see!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:03 PM   #4
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Drives: 2010 VR Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Just keep her away from feather pillows and down comforters - everyone I know who has had a Great Dane has, at one time or another, walked into a room full of feathers after the dog shredded everything!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:10 PM   #5
spacecowby

Drives: 2010 black 2SS/RS
My parents had a great dane the whole time I was growing up. Wonderful and loving dogs. I love great danes wish I had one now but I'd have to give up my American Bulldog. And I could never get rid of this face
Attached Images

Black cars are not hobbies, they are an obsession
spacecowby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
c-dub
It's that guy

Cute pooch spacecowboy, and thanks for the tip about the feathers lol while she's a pup it'll be easy since our bed sits so high up, but once full grown haha I'll have to get creative.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
bee sting

Drives: 1997 30th Ann. Z28 & 2010 2LT RS
I got one for ya.. we left both of our danes in our bedroom with the door shut just to run to the store for something. One was a about 6-7 moths old and my girl was may be 2yr. Anyway we came back home and opened the bedroom door to see our new mattress with the whole center ripped out of it ! I mean all the way through ! I could put my whole body in the whole. Of coarse when you look at either one they both just looked away.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
c-dub
It's that guy

hahaha naughty danes!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:38 PM   #9
sugar'n'spice

Drives: .
My hubby went to visit his friends for a weekend and they have a great Dane,,,and as much as I love animals myself...he told me that dog just didn't stop drooling all over the place !
sugar'n'spice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
oyealiz

Drives: c7 3LT, manual, vert
Send a message via AIM to oyealiz Send a message via Yahoo to oyealiz
We had friends from out of town visit last weekend with theirs. They were going to Six Flags for the day on Saturday, so they were looking for a sitter to leave him with for the weekend. We said "bring him with you!"

I ended up being the dog sitter all day Saturday. He and my German Shepherd would have played the entire day had I let them, I think! My GSD, at 82 lbs, normally looks huge, but with Barkley (the Dane) being 165, Dover didn't look so big.

Here's Barkley...

With two of my dogs...(We have three.)

Sitting on the sofa, and also on top of a friend's kiddo who was laying there.

He can look over in the kitchen sink while standing on all fours. The friend he is with is tiny, but the kitchen counters are standard height. ha!

They got in Friday evening, and by Saturday night I felt ok with leaving him. They don't crate him, they just leave him out, and that's what we did here. Gave him his blanket and a bone, and all was well when we got home. He is out of the puppy stage, though, so I know that's a huge difference compared to one that's less than a year old.

OP, Barkley could get in the back seat of a Camaro, but he couldn't sit up fully, for sure!
oyealiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:46 PM   #11
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee sting View Post
I got one for ya.. we left both of our danes in our bedroom with the door shut just to run to the store for something. One was a about 6-7 moths old and my girl was may be 2yr. Anyway we came back home and opened the bedroom door to see our new mattress with the whole center ripped out of it ! I mean all the way through ! I could put my whole body in the whole. Of coarse when you look at either one they both just looked away.
They must just have a thing for bedding...
Old 04-04-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
Ivas
el Ruco

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (now runnin' TENS )
Dogs don't ride in my Camaro, unless of course you count the hideous bitch that is the mother-in-law. I've got an old beater that dogs prefer anyway; it smells doggier.
Ivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:30 PM   #13
Ladybugsmom
Older than I look....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivas View Post
Dogs don't ride in my Camaro, unless of course you count the hideous bitch that is the mother-in-law. I've got an old beater that dogs prefer anyway; it smells doggier.
That's partially why I kept my SUV - a Rottie and a Shepherd would TRASH the Camaro - I shudder to think about it....
Old 04-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #14
Ivas
el Ruco

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS (now runnin' TENS )
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybugsmom View Post
That's partially why I kept my SUV - a Rottie and a Shepherd would TRASH the Camaro - I shudder to think about it....
Hmm, I wonder what a Rottie and a Shepherd could do to an odious mother-in-law?
Ivas is offline   Reply With Quote