Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 03:22 PM   #113
RCowan

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylton View Post
Don't you think that will put an end to ALL manufacturing that occurs in the US and Canada?
No, but this is what the isolationist fear-mongers want you to believe. It will continue changing as it has already. You will see more mfg here shift toward final assembly type work instead of basic small parts (Its expensive to ship large assemblies around the world.) One of our customers is taking back assembly work from China because shipping big stuff from China costs $ and dealing with quality issues is a pain, better off doing it here where the customers are. You will still see more of the higher-tech, high tolerance mfg right here. If they would significantly lower corporate taxes (we have the worlds highest) you would see even more business return in spite of higher labor costs. Another thing that is true is that its not so easy to just pick up a plant and move south.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:53 PM   #114
dayvedayve

Drives: 2006 Chevy Avalanche
I work for the government. So if GM takes the money from the government then I should qualify for employee pricing....... Right .....
Old 11-14-2008, 05:23 PM   #115
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
I for one am 100% against the bailout of the banks, and against the bailout of GM or any other company. It is not the responsibility of government to prop-up failing companies. This is a very slippery slope. While I don't want to see anyone lose their job, I also don't think it is my responsibility or the responsbility of my kids and grandkids to pay for the mistakes of private companies and greedy unions. We should all be screaming for smaller government not bigger government. Take for example the current state of the Social Security program. Despite the fact that everyone know it needs to be fixed, no one wants to face the discomfort of doing so. As a result, our kids and grand kids will have to carrry the burden. The Automotive bail out is no different. It will be extremely unconfortable for everyone involved if GM fails, however perhaps they could emerge on the other end as a smaller, leaner, and more profitable company. While the transition may be painful, sometimes it is just as necessary.

I for one wish we would have politicians in Washington who had the guts to do what is necessary, not just what is expediant.

At this point about the best we can do to help is go out and buy American vehicles and other American products. The automakers may be required to slash prices like never before, just to generate cash flow. Above all lets not start to doubt a true free-market system that does not depend on Government assistance but rather just asks the Government to get out of the way.

I for one teach my children that Government is not the answer and is often times part of the problem.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:01 PM   #116
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
OH MY GOD.

ALL THEY WANT IS A LOAN. STOP REFERRING TO IT AS A BAILOUT. A BAILOUT IS FREE MONEY, A LOAN IS BORROWED MONEY.

Jesus Christ...
Old 11-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #117
trm0002
VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9100074

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 2SS/RS RJT VIN 00074
Send a message via AIM to trm0002
The old saying.... "God helps them who help themselves" seems totally appropriate here. I'm waiting for the GM/Union "team" to help themselves first. The definition of insanity above (do same, expect different) is exactly what is happening. Whether or not GM gets the bridge loan (yes, loan people, not free money) is irrelevant if nothing basic changes. It simply prolongs the inevitable. $78 an hour at the Big 3; $40 something at the foreign plants here in the US. The Big 3 simply can not overcome the discrepancy. If it takes bankruptcy for no other reason than to void the union contracts, then I'm all for it. Yes, I would still take delivery of my Camaro in the spring, without a second thought, if GM was in Chapter 11 at the time. I firmly believe that's what it will take for the company to survive long term. Honestly, I'd be more apprehensive about buying the Camaro if nothing changes.
Closed Thread