Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-18-2009, 11:51 AM   #1
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Drives: 2009 Ducati Streetfighter
Drove one! Orange SS! Quick review, and Q&A (Austin Auto Show)

Yeahhh... sooo. I just got to drive the orange SS L99 with the white stripes. No joke. At the austin auto show. Casey is going to put a vid of it up today, i think on 5th gen. But WOW!!!! Unbelievable. Suspension is great. Sight lines are not as bad as you might think. The "button" shifters are.. not the best, but still usable and fun. Gas pedal is sensitive, the engine is ready to be utilized at the slightest touch. Yet it is surprisingly quiet unless you really get on it. The idle is almost silent... unfortunate. Thats what the aftermarket is for. Standard sound system was pretty great, Boston Acoustics was magical. The audio display and system was as easy to use as i have heard. Lots of interesting and usefull settings such as "max startup volume", so if your blasting the tunes when you get out, you wont be given a heart attack when you turn the key again. The seats are very comfortable. Have to admit, the cloth was a little disappointing, fairly low quality. Not durability, but they just didnt feel very nice, maybe low thread count or something? Anyway, the leather felt great! Headroom is going to be an issue if you're much over 6'. There was a guy that was 6' 5" that had one on pre-order there that had to recline the seat pretty far to fit in. Thatl get old. Back seats=worthless. Cross town hop might be ok, and even that will be in extreme discomfort for any grown adult. Im 6' and I had to angle my legs uncomfortably and my head was pressed heavily against the roof. An interesting note, however, is that the sunroof really doesnt change the headroom situation much. Ummmm... what else? Brakes were responsive and confidence-inspiringly quick. Oh yeah, and the camaros really do look great in person. All of the colors look fantastic, and the one that seemed most improved in person was yellow. One small gripe about the in-person look is the gills, as i would call them, they look strangely pointless. Ive heard the reverse lights called an "after-thought", but they looked all right. These gills look like an after-thought if you asked me. With dark colors, though, they dont stand out as much. Anyway. Beautiful car. Its great. Cant think of much else. Im about to go back to the show, but if anyone has anymore questions about handling or sound or anything about the car, id be happy to answer all.

Texas Residents: Join the Texas social group!

Semper Fi!

Last edited by SemperFi; 04-18-2009 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Specify L99
SemperFi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #2
perfxn

Drives: 2SS RS
howd you get to drive it!!! where did you drive it? how long? what did you think if the aqua blue? my folks are trying to get me switch to it from black. Some said it looks better with the light on it?
perfxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Melson

Drives: Wild Cherry
Did you get a chance to crank up the audio? How does it sound?
Melson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:26 PM   #4
ArcAngel

Drives: 07 Black Cobalt SS/SC
Send a message via AIM to ArcAngel
" Boston Acoustics was magical. " I'm guessing he means it was awesome!
Old 04-18-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Hey guys...just got home too.

Boston Acoustics was REALLY impressive. I turned it up and again, was impressed. My wife really liked it too and said it sounded great. That means a lot coming from her. This is why I always wanted BA for the sound system. GM kicked @ss and listened on this one!

Throttle response really is AWESOME in the auto...I mean....woah!

Ambient lighting was working in the SS's. During the day, you can't see it. At night, it's a soft glow. You had to cup your hands around or put something above the light to create a shadow in order to see the light. It did look GOOD! ABL won't be available on the first year run, but the team is still working on the issue with the dash to have it available for the next year run. They also realize that first year buyers will want to upgrade/retrofit their ABL to have it installed in the dash....they are working on making this transition possible for first year buyers.

I was very impressed with the cars at the show. Even through I got to drive Dons yellow SS here in San Antonio last month, I must say....... That OM 2SS was a HUGE refreshment!!!

ON another note.....

At first sight (and on a Solstice), I didn't really like the Inferno Orange Metallic. Now? I LOVE IT. IT IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!! All you guys who think it's a color that is just a bit off REALLY need to see it IN PERSON on the Camaro. Holy.....
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 02:53 PM   #6
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
At first sight (and on a Solstice), I didn't really like the Inferno Orange Metallic. Now? I LOVE IT. IT IS FREAKIN' AWESOME!!!! All you guys who think it's a color that is just a bit off REALLY need to see it IN PERSON on the Camaro. Holy.....
Thanks for that, i ordered it but wanted CGM, but did not want to wate for CGM.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:05 PM   #7
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfxn View Post
howd you get to drive it!!! where did you drive it? how long? what did you think if the aqua blue? my folks are trying to get me switch to it from black. Some said it looks better with the light on it?
It was an event for camaro fans early in the morning. They had said they were driving one around. So as we were about to leave.. we asked if they were still driving around, so we could hear it. We were surprised to recieve a hushed reply telling us to slip out the side doors, and we could get a few minutes behind the wheel! Woo Hoo! As for the blue, didnt see one, so I really couldnt tell you. Certainly would be more unique. Up to you man.

Semper Fi!
Old 04-18-2009, 03:07 PM   #8
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Hey guys...just got home too.

Boston Acoustics was REALLY impressive. I turned it up and again, was impressed. My wife really liked it too and said it sounded great. That means a lot coming from her. This is why I always wanted BA for the sound system. GM kicked @ss and listened on this one!

Throttle response really is AWESOME in the auto...I mean....woah!

Ambient lighting was working in the SS's. During the day, you can't see it. At night, it's a soft glow. You had to cup your hands around or put something above the light to create a shadow in order to see the light. It did look GOOD! ABL won't be available on the first year run, but the team is still working on the issue with the dash to have it available for the next year run. They also realize that first year buyers will want to upgrade/retrofit their ABL to have it installed in the dash....they are working on making this transition possible for first year buyers.

I was very impressed with the cars at the show. Even through I got to drive Dons yellow SS here in San Antonio last month, I must say....... That OM 2SS was a HUGE refreshment!!!

ON another note.....

Agree with all. The IOM is more like Burnt Orange in person, unlike how it seems in pictures. Looks fantastic!! Something else I noticed that I havent seen people mention, is the ambient lighting that comes from around the gauges. Pretty sweet touch there.

Semper Fi!
Old 04-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #9
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melson View Post
Did you get a chance to crank up the audio? How does it sound?
Like Tag said, and in accordance with my "magical" comment, it was fantastic. You wouldnt be disappointed with the base system, but I would certainly say the BA is worth the 500 bucks. Just me being an audio man.

Semper Fi!
Old 04-18-2009, 03:12 PM   #10
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by SemperFi View Post
Agree with all. The IOM is more like Burnt Orange in person, unlike how it seems in pictures. Looks fantastic!!
Toss some gold flake in there as well. Honestly, and this is IMO, it just didn't look good on the Solstice. But, the lines on the Camaro sure aren't like the lines on the Solstice...... and that's why I think it really looked good.

...and if anyone is contemplating the BA system....DO IT.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 03:19 PM   #11
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
"They also realize that first year buyers will want to upgrade/retrofit their ABL to have it installed in the dash....they are working on making this transition possible for first year buyers."

That is REALLY nice to hear!!

=bobby
Old 04-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I'm guessing Tag liked the radio.
Old 04-18-2009, 03:22 PM   #13
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Toss some gold flake in there as well. Honestly, and this is IMO, it just didn't look good on the Solstice. But, the lines on the Camaro sure aren't like the lines on the Solstice...... and that's why I think it really looked good.

...and if anyone is contemplating the BA system....DO IT.
Certainly. After getting in and out of the SKY amd the Solstice, I wasnt overly impressed by build quality, the doors rattled when you closed them and such. Possibly pre-pro problems, but it just made me even more pleased with the camaro's quality.

Semper Fi!
Old 04-18-2009, 03:24 PM   #14
SemperFi
U.S. Marine Corps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby35ny View Post
"They also realize that first year buyers will want to upgrade/retrofit their ABL to have it installed in the dash....they are working on making this transition possible for first year buyers."

That is REALLY nice to hear!!

=bobby
Also talked about integrating in the coming HUD system as well. Thatl be really awesome as well.

Semper Fi!

Tags
drive, iom, sound, ss v8