Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-06-2009, 04:44 PM   #1
StoutFiles

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS
Black/Black Camaro in the South?

I'm ordering a Black/Black 2SS and I live in Ohio currently. In the future though, I may end up moving up to Florida for engineering. Any one from a hot weather state have any advice for an all black car in the heat...and would it be a problem?
StoutFiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:47 PM   #2
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
They heat up quickly. Get it tinted and park it in the shade whenever possible.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
chadrcr
to Z or not to Z

Drives: 99 S10 ZR2
If you get the Remote Start version (auto only) you can let it
'cool down' like you warm it up in the winter.

99 S-10 ZR2
06 GMC Z71 - - - sold...
getting ready for my Camaro
02 Z28 - - - sold :( miss it!
chadrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
N8dawg

Drives: 2004 Volvo S60 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoutFiles View Post
I'm ordering a Black/Black 2SS and I live in Ohio currently. In the future though, I may end up moving up to Florida for engineering. Any one from a hot weather state have any advice for an all black car in the heat...and would it be a problem?
I have a black car and live in Florida. The best advice as I can give is get 5% tint all around and 35% on the windshield(can go a little less if its too dark for you) and just keep it in a garage as much as possible to keep the leather maintained.
N8dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Lord Grey

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I live in Texas. My current car is black-on-black, without tinted windows, and it's usually fine. I usually keep my windows and sunroof cracked whenever possible, though.

A lot of people worry about that but honestly, I don't notice that much of a difference between black and any other color (when it comes to heat). YMMV.
Lord Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #6
delius
David Hayter

Drives: F-body
Quote:
Well...I live in NC and have a Black Firebird with Black Leather...and not to mention its pure steel...so pretty much i drive an oven with 4 wheels in the summer time.

One thing that definitely helped was buying a car cover for when you park the car at home...it helps avoid sun cracks and also helps the "Morning Sit".

Also getting those windshield foils really does cut down on the heat in the car when its sitting in a parkin lot.

But the most effective thing i've tried WAS....

rolling down my windows lol

I want my camaro....NOOOOOOOOOOW!!! /turn yellow
delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
If you do move here, would it be close to the coast. If so I can tell you that you will get swirls bad, no matter how hard you try to avoid it. Other than that, no different than dealing with a car in summer up there, just more summer. I owned a black eclipse and the swirls drove me crazy, personally I will never own black again here. It is the most awesome looking color for a car, but probably the most impractical. I am sure you thought about all this already though. Rather deal with a black camaro in the heat, than the cold though!

Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #8
SoFlaZ

Drives: 2013 SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
If you do move here, would it be close to the coast. If so I can tell you that you will get swirls bad, no matter how hard you try to avoid it. Other than that, no different than dealing with a car in summer up there, just more summer. I owned a black eclipse and the swirls drove me crazy, personally I will never own black again here. It is the most awesome looking color for a car, but probably the most impractical. I am sure you thought about all this already though. Rather deal with a black camaro in the heat, than the cold though!

Can you define swirls? Like the sun eat at your paint?

Mine and my dads cars are both 96's and the paint/clearcoat was starting to go bad on them like 2-3 years ago. Not bad for 10yrs in the sun at that point, plus hurricane damage on my roof. My dads Camaro is Black and gets HOT but so does my cav and its green w/ dark interior. I need to get my ac fixed soon so I dont have to endure another sweat filled summer.
SoFlaZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #9
Silver Streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFlaZ View Post
Can you define swirls? Like the sun eat at your paint?

Mine and my dads cars are both 96's and the paint/clearcoat was starting to go bad on them like 2-3 years ago. Not bad for 10yrs in the sun at that point, plus hurricane damage on my roof. My dads Camaro is Black and gets HOT but so does my cav and its green w/ dark interior. I need to get my ac fixed soon so I dont have to endure another sweat filled summer.
http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cf...ection=_57#_57

This should explain or at least show you what it looks like!
Old 02-06-2009, 06:31 PM   #10
Gary B

Drives: Subaru
First off, if you're in Ohio, you'll be moving DOWN to Florida...not up. As far as color, I don't live in the south, but I would go with white with the tan interior for the south. I've had light and dark cars.....MUCH cooler with lighter colors, its just plain science.
Gary B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
gto_in_nc

Drives: 1997 Jeep Wrangler -for now...
Quote:
Originally Posted by delius View Post
Well...I live in NC and have a Black Firebird with Black Leather...and not to mention its pure steel...so pretty much i drive an oven with 4 wheels in the summer time.

One thing that definitely helped was buying a car cover for when you park the car at home...it helps avoid sun cracks and also helps the "Morning Sit".

Also getting those windshield foils really does cut down on the heat in the car when its sitting in a parkin lot.

But the most effective thing i've tried WAS....

rolling down my windows
lol
QFT (Physicist hat on...)
gto_in_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 08:35 PM   #12
tsg1391

Drives: 79 formula 'bird, 5th gen soon
how does living in florida/the south have an effect on swirls?
tsg1391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
etrigan

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Black Camaro
Tint the windows and get one of those windshield-fold-up-thingys. You'll be fine. My current car is black and my 2010 camaro will be black. Maybe i'm just used to it.

VIN #2G1FT1EW6A9106795

1100, Preliminary order accepted:10/13/08
6000, Del. to me:5/20/09
etrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 09:17 PM   #14
Silver Streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsg1391 View Post
how does living in florida/the south have an effect on swirls?
Sand.