Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-28-2012, 11:22 AM   #71
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
I was going to post pics of the Boss rear end and the Shelby rear end, but I can't take looking at to many F*#@
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #72
dirishboy
as in Irish European

Drives: 2012 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
mag ride suspention ~3k
lsa motor 6-7k (price the LSA then the LS3 big $$$ dif.)
all the track pack ~3k
updraded trany, diff, etc should make up the other ~2k

that gets you to 15k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN311 View Post
Appreciate the info guys. That helps me a lot with the $15k cost step up. My head is in a better place now
Old 03-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #73
Mr.R

Drives: ZL1, Genesis, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndCamaro79 View Post
Hmmm, lets see I had a 97 Camaro (loved it), I am going to go with 500,000 plus? There are 221,184 ways to build a Whopper I think the free flow options are what made the older muscle cars so collectible. It seems like no one car was the same back then. I total understand why we do not have that level of customization in todays market.

The cost of one wheel program, hmmm I am going to go with 1 million to develop a new wheel? If its more than that someone needs ask the GMC guys why they needed five 20 inch rim options, and three 22 inch rim options for the Denali.

I understand you can not break the bank to have every Camaro trim line look total different. I also understand that the ZL1 is a Camaro and not a Ferrari. On a side note the $200,000 Ferrari California has the same navigation from my brothers 2007 V6 Chrysler 300. So for those complaining about the new touch screen or lack of, think about that. Well back to my point, the forth gen Camaro looked almost identical in all trim lines V6, Z28, and SS. That did not bother me much, and in fact the 4th gen is one of my favorite cars. The difference between then and now is the ZL1 is special (at least in my eyes) and the crescendo of Camaro performance. This is the Legend and Ultimate Camaro, his little brother (1LE) should not get to wear his varsity jacket.
I agree they should not look or sound(exhaust) very similar. The only visible differences now are the hood and front bumper - that's not enough for an "exclusive" car. That's a shame. I understand costs are involved but then give it the SS wheels, etc.... A 3000 units model should not look like the other 100,000 camaros produced per year. None of the Ferarris look the same and that's one of teh reasons they are so desirable. You can tell when you see one. The Veyron doesn't look like anything else. Get my drift? Do you want people to say: "It's a Camaro!" OR "It's a ZL1!" The "star" ZL1 should not look like the "underdog " 1LE !
Mr.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #74
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
You Monday morning quarterbacks have AMAZING arms!!
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:03 PM   #75
Ltdodge

Drives: 2008 Z06
I like the red calipers much better on the LE over the black ones on the ZL1.

chevrolet should switch them out, the ZL should have RED calipers
Old 03-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #76
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
You Monday morning quarterbacks have AMAZING arms!!

I am not perfect, but I think a different grill, rims, hood, wing and custom decals are all the 1LE needs to set itself apart from the ZL1. I also think the ZL1 should be the only Camaro with quad exhaust. In the 4th gen the hood, rims, and exhaust were what I used to tell a Z/28 from a SS. I aways remember the 3rd gen 1LE because of the crazy rear wing. The only unique exterior part on the 1LE is the black hood, and if you order black
Old 03-28-2012, 01:44 PM   #77
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Quote:
I am not perfect, but I think a different grill, rims, hood, wing and custom decals are all the 1LE needs to set itself apart from the ZL1. I also think the ZL1 should be the only Camaro with quad exhaust. In the 4th gen the hood, rims, and exhaust were what I used to tell a Z/28 from a SS. I aways remember the 3rd gen 1LE because of the crazy rear wing. The only unique exterior part on the 1LE is the black hood, and if you order black
To set the car apart or the person driving it? It's called aftermarket for those that didn't get enough bling in the production model. As fbod has said time and again, greater variability costs more.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #78
2ndCamaro79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
To set the car apart or the person driving it? It's called aftermarket for those that didn't get enough bling in the production model. As fbod has said time and again, greater variability costs more.
I offered up simple solutions not bling. I said nothing about having chrome, 24 in rims, or lambo doors on the 1LE If GM could afford to give the 4th gen SS a different hood, wing, exhaust and rims I think they can still afford it for the greatest Camaro of all time
Old 03-28-2012, 02:09 PM   #79
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
I offered up simple solutions not bling. I said nothing about having chrome, 24 in rims, or lambo doors on the 1LE If GM could afford to give the 4th gen SS a different hood, wing, exhaust and rims I think they can still afford it for the greatest Camaro of all time

The ZL1 does have a different hood and the exhaust will sound different coming from an NA 426 hp motor than from a supercharged 580 HP motor, the rear spoiler, meh? BUT, I think the only reason this package is offered is to appeal to those people who want to track the car and offer it at a more affordable price than the soup-to-nuts ZL1.

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:50 PM   #80
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltdodge View Post
I like the red calipers much better on the LE over the black ones on the ZL1.

chevrolet should switch them out, the ZL should have RED calipers
However, the 1LE has 4 piston front calipers and the ZL1 has 6 piston front calipers...so the ZL1 offers more "BITE" and better overall braking than the 1LE. But I agree, the ZL1 should have had red calipers to go along with the red stitching on the interior of the ZL1 and make it STAND OUT more like on the Z06 and ZR1 vettes compared to Grand Sport and Base corvettes.
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:05 PM   #81
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
However, the 1LE has 4 piston front calipers and the ZL1 has 6 piston front calipers...so the ZL1 offers more "BITE" and better overall braking than the 1LE. But I agree, the ZL1 should have had red calipers to go along with the red stitching on the interior of the ZL1 and make it STAND OUT more like on the Z06 and ZR1 vettes compared to Grand Sport and Base corvettes.
I can appreciate the red to match the interior, but I thought Yellow calipers designated better braking...which would be appropriate when compared to the 1LE 4 piston brakes. (i.e. a Turbo Porsche...wait doesn't the CTS-V have that option...yellow?)
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #82
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
REALLY?! Caliper color determines stopping potential?!

Boy, you better start a Wikipedia page for that one...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #83
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
Did you ever think that 200+ pounds removed from the NOSE of the 1LE vs. ZL1 (and almost 300 lb. TOTAL), combined with an aggressive brake pad, might just have the 1LE and ZL1 stopping in very similar distances...?
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #84
OVRKLL

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE...makes me go YeeeHaw!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
REALLY?! Caliper color determines stopping potential?!

Boy, you better start a Wikipedia page for that one...
Well that's what Yellow meant on the Turbo Porsches.
Personally I prefer black as these colored calipers can be a dime a dozen since you can paint them just about any color you want.
I like the black with the inscribe of ZL1 in white...
OVRKLL is offline   Reply With Quote