Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 07-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
cliffdog89

Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
Blinking CEL and Engine shaking - misfire - but why?

Engine 2012 LFX - no tune - only bolt-ons 40K miles - current outside temp about 70F
So this morning, I pulled a quick k-turn and the car started to stall going in reverse (manual trans) but the engine managed to catch and never completely stall. After completing the k-turn, I accelerated quickly and the car started to shake in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (seemed to be after 2k rpms). The CEL started to flash for about 30 seconds then went off. I pulled back into my driveway (I was only a couple miles from home) shut the engine off, waited a few mins, and started it back up. No flashing CEL and the car seemed normal so I started driving back to work (I figured it was a misfire but I had to get to work). I redlined the car in first and second and revved it pretty high in third with no problems. A little while later I noticed the shaking again - not as violent but there. This happened a couple times on the way to work. During my lunch break I stopped at an autozone and there were no codes associated with a misfire (there were a couple very generic codes to do with exhaust that were already present due to HFCs). I again redlined the car in the first couple of gears with no problem.

Question - I definitely think this is a misfire with the violent shaking; however, what would cause the intermittent misfire? I plan to check the plugs and the wires. I have not had any stabilitrak lights turn on (as apparently has been the case with loose wires). I have also heard that a bad timing chain could cause multiple misfires. Yes the car is under warranty as I purchased the extended warranty but I really prefer diagnosing this problem myself and fixing it (if relatively inexpensive) because I do not trust dealers. I would assume that a bad coilpack would throw a code but there was no code in the history.

Any help would be most appreciated.

MODS: HFCs, Catback exhaust, Ported TB, CAI ColdAir intake plus others but again, no tuning of the engine has been done.

Any help would be most appreciated.
Thanks
- Cliff
Old 07-10-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
I would start by cleaning the MAF sensor and go from there.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 05:23 PM   #3
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
blinking means misfire, don't clean your maf go get your car checked, if it is indeed flashing your better off towing it to prevent damage to the converters.
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #4
cliffdog89

Drives: 2LT/RS M6 '12 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by firestone_ss View Post
blinking means misfire, don't clean your maf go get your car checked, if it is indeed flashing your better off towing it to prevent damage to the converters.
It flashed then went off - hasn't happened again. When you say it could damage the CATs - damaged from the shaking and of the engine I assume with how tightly they are wedged in the vehicle?
Old 07-11-2014, 01:01 PM   #5
RobertRS

Drives: 2014 2SS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdog89 View Post
It flashed then went off - hasn't happened again. When you say it could damage the CATs - damaged from the shaking and of the engine I assume with how tightly they are wedged in the vehicle?
Nahhh, he's talkin' raw fuel thru the cats with misfire. Clean your MAF first or tow it to the dealer . It's your choice.
RobertRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
firestone_ss

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
well if the light went off there isn't a current issue but the code still stored so id suggest at least having the code pulled to see what area you should start looking. I also know some of the v-6 Camaros had a tsb for this issue and a reflash took care of it.
firestone_ss is offline   Reply With Quote