Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #1
ULTRAZLS1

Drives: 14 Silverado LTZ Z71, 16 Camaro SS
Tuning Parameters/Help with G6X3

Wondering if anyone on the boards has some parameters/tips I could take to the tuner when I have my cam installed?

I have heard it can be a bit tricky to get just right....especially with a 102 throttle body...which is what I will be running.

Does anyone have any tips/parameters for tuning an LS3 with a G6X3 cam and a 102 throttle body?

I tried to PM Sam88GTA1...I know he was good with them...but it seems his account has been suspended for some reason. I know he helped with Orangechevys car.

thanks, Troy
ULTRAZLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #2
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Don't take this the wrong way but IMO if you have to give your tuner tips/tricks to get the car tuned right then you probably need to go with another tuner.

The tune is a major piece and it needs to be 100% correct. The tune can make/brake the whole deal.

If you're in Michigan why don't you talk to the guys over at http://www.livernoismotorsports.com
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:52 PM   #3
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Don't take this the wrong way but IMO if you have to give your tuner tips/tricks to get the car tuned right then you probably need to go with another tuner.

The tune is a major piece and it needs to be 100% correct. The tune can make/brake the whole deal.

If you're in Michigan why don't you talk to the guys over at http://www.livernoismotorsports.com
I dont really expect them to need much help...but I always like to be over prepared if you know what I mean.

I have talked with livernois about install but they dont seem that interested being I am not using any of their parts. I planned on going to Vector. I also thought about going back to Stenod (where I got my last tune) but I heard they went out of business.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #4
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
We do offer mail order tunes as well here. I always like to have the car in front of me to make sure it is 100% correct, as each car is going to be slightly different.

If you find yourself stuck, do not have a tuner, or one that may not be willing to spend a ton of time, this will take most of the hard part away from them.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
Ryne @ CMS

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 06 C6 Z06, 15 Sierra
with the 102 tb, you need to set your etc scaler correct... i generally set it between 7100-7400, this way you dont have to hack up you idle airflow table to achieve desired idle... if your using hptuners i can help you out, email me the tune file ryne-cms@hotmail.com
Ryne @ CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:14 PM   #6
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
I had a LOT of success tuning this cam (and other similar size and larger cams) for a few friends AFTER I decided to play with the end of injection timing (EOIT) parameters...it makes a much bigger difference than I thought it would.

...when given a cam card, I can calculate the EOIT stuff almost dead on on the first try (ie get the VE/MAF stuff dialed in as best I can...then make the EOIT hit, do a little MAF/VE/Spark correction...and note that modifying the EOIT any further, in either direction makes it worse not better. LG doesn't give out the full specs on the cam, so I took a guess based on what I found online that people thought the cam specs were...and I had to tweak it in a little further from there...but when you get it right, it helps with low end torque, makes part throttle stuff a little more responsive, helps stabilize fuel trims, which in turn makes the vehicle smoother...and helps MPG a bit.

...but if they're a tuner worth their salt, they know how to do this anyways.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
ULTRAZLS1

Thanks for the help so far guys.

No I dont have hp tuners.

Like I said I am expecting the given shop to be capable...just want to cover my bases before I get the car their....I tend to have bad luck.

I guess I am just a bit nervous...I usually do everything myself (except tuning) I have done H/C swaps in the past but dont have the time to do it right now with my work schedule.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:30 PM   #8
MikeOD

Are you planning to invest in HPTuners or EFI Live in the future?

If you do buy either package...the learning curve at first is a bit steep...but you'll suddenly "get it", and then it's actually fun. Plus the support forums for both software packages are really great. Lots of smart people posting lots of cool technical info to learn from.

I'm happy with HPTuners...once in a while I run into a vehicle where I wish I had EFILive (usually a Duramax truck)...but other than that, I have no complaints. I'm one of the guys who'd be happy to help you try to learn to do it if you bought your own software...even if you hold off until after a shop gets the car running better for you.

Old 01-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
ULTRAZLS1

I dont tune these cars for a living or run a garage. I used to work with my grandfather in his shade-tree shop but I am now gainfully employed at a hospital.

The only wrenching I really do now is if he needs an extra hand or if I am working on my own cars etc.The need for tuning only arises on my own vehicles. This will only be the 3rd time I have ever needed a tune on an lsx based vehicle.

Not sure it is worth the investment at this point.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
MikeOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
I dont tune these cars for a living or run a garage. I used to work with my grandfather in his shade-tree shop but I am now gainfully employed at a hospital.

The only wrenching I really do now is if he needs an extra hand or if I am working on my own cars etc.The need for tuning only arises on my own vehicles. This will only be the 3rd time I have ever needed a tune on an lsx based vehicle.

Not sure it is worth the investment at this point.
...I don't either. I'm a manufacturing engineer

I find it fun to tune my own stuff...plus, you WILL be more thorough on your own vehicle than a tuner shop will have time to be...no matter how good they are.

I've had the need arise for myself on 5 LT1 vehicles I've owned (which I own a license to TunerCat for), an LQ4 truck that I no longer have, my previous LS1 Camaro, my current LS3 Camaro...and I will use it on the twin turbo LSx Caprice I'm building...and I have the occasional friend ask me for help with their car...and every so often, usually fairly randomly, I'll have a local I don't really know offer to pay me to do it...you might be surprised how much you'd enjoy learning to tune it yourself...plus you might be horrified to see the disasters some shops put into PCM's...and how much better a vehicle can run than most people with modified vehicles think is possible.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:26 AM   #11
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULTRAZLS1 View Post
I dont really expect them to need much help...but I always like to be over prepared if you know what I mean.

I have talked with livernois about install but they dont seem that interested being I am not using any of their parts. I planned on going to Vector. I also thought about going back to Stenod (where I got my last tune) but I heard they went out of business.
Doesn't livernois have a cam similar to what you want? Is the G6X3 a true custom grind or is it a relabeled catalog item, not saying it is or isn't. Bring your cam specs to Livernois and tell them you want this, and see how they can help you.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Doesn't livernois have a cam similar to what you want? Is the G6X3 a true custom grind or is it a relabeled catalog item, not saying it is or isn't. Bring your cam specs to Livernois and tell them you want this, and see how they can help you.
I have already ordered the g6x3.
Lg doesn't publish the specs. I know the ballpark.
Like I said...they seemed most interested in me buying their parts
Old 01-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #13
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
Do you have a cam in now? Are you going with a FAST manifold with the 102 throttle body? Post up what you pick up with the G6X3, I have it and love it. I would also recommend you go to 4.10's if you have not allready, that cam works well with gears.
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #14
ULTRAZLS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG383 View Post
Do you have a cam in now? Are you going with a FAST manifold with the 102 throttle body? Post up what you pick up with the G6X3, I have it and love it. I would also recommend you go to 4.10's if you have not allready, that cam works well with gears.
No...no cam yet

Havent got gears yet. I plan on doing that with clutch (if it lasts the year),axles and a drive shaft next spring. Probably go with the 3.91's since they are supposed to be stronger, diff cover and posi mod.

Trying to go back to stenod for the after install numbers but I hear they went out of business...then I hear they are still open. I sent them an e-mail yesterday so we will see. I would prefer the same dyno for a decent comparison.

This is the build. All parts in my sig plus.

-TSP Aftermarket castings with 67cc chambers and a .040 cometic gasket (11.4.1 compression)
-G6X3 Cam
-Fast 102
-Nick Williams 102
-Meziere electric water pump
-+ all needed supporting mods...new chain, oil pump, trunion upgrade etc.

I have everything ordered or at my house besides the heads. Waiting for the tax return to get those.

I will be posting results for sure.