Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 11-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #15
Blueclyde

Drives: 2023 ZLE
I think I'm going with a set of these next year. I need to fix my traction problems and I've heard those are the way to go.
Blueclyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:56 PM   #16
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueclyde View Post
I think I'm going with a set of these next year. I need to fix my traction problems and I've heard those are the way to go.
Are you drag racing? The Goodyears are not as good as the SS Pirellis for drag racing. But you need a lot of stick em to get your car to hook. But once you do that hello 11s.

Three choices here:

20"
18"
17" (Does the ZL1 have the same rear brakes as the SS?)

the smaller the rim and the larger (to a point) sidewall the better.
Old 11-23-2013, 09:49 AM   #17
alex_mia305

Drives: camaro 4th gen
HALF SHAFTS

these half shafts breaking is freaking me out!!!how do i avoid them??
how were you able to do 100 passes. at what rpm do you drop the clutch to burnout? and at what rpm do u drop to race drag?
alex_mia305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:53 PM   #18
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_mia305 View Post
these half shafts breaking is freaking me out!!!how do i avoid them??
how were you able to do 100 passes. at what rpm do you drop the clutch to burnout? and at what rpm do u drop to race drag?
Take a deep breath. This problem is way over-hyped.

First the 1LE comes with the standard SS differential with 3.91 gears. Second the axles are slightly stronger than the standard SS axles.

A little SS fifth gen history as I understand it. The original 2010 Camaro came with axles that were not up to par. A few of the early 2010 Camaros broke thier axles. Most of this time this happened when the driver was experimenting with Launch Control or sidestepped the clutch, or as you mentioned, dropped the clutch. Somewhere into the late 2010 run, before the '11s I think, the original axles were replaced with stronger ones. After that, axle breakage became much rarer. It still can occur in high horsepower cars, especially on cars with superchargers that can dump a ton of torque instantly.

So far, I have only heard of two 1LEs that broke their axles during non-abusive launches. And in both cases the theory is defective axles. There is not a 1LE broken axle Pandemic.

So fear not, the 1LE is not any more delicate than a standard SS. But if you want to drag race, never on the street, do a little reading before you try it. Both Lunch Control and dropping or sidestepping the clutch (the same thing) are not the way to get the fastest times and both are abusing the car. Launch control done right maybe less so. I am only an average driver and I can easily beat my quarter mile times with Traction Control off over using Launch Control. Check out this link from experienced drag racers about the most effective way to launch your car. They launch by feel, with TC off, and many of these guys are running high horsepower cars.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267138
Old 11-24-2013, 08:09 PM   #19
alex_mia305

Drives: camaro 4th gen
THANKS for tht reply I'll check it out
alex_mia305 is offline   Reply With Quote