Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-31-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
The most simple way I can explain it:

Read the owner's manual. Read the bottle of gear lube you chose to use.

If you chose the GM lube, you need to add the GM LS additive. This is because that same lube is also used in G80 truck locker diffs with no LS clutch plates. If the diff has no LS clutches, and is a locker type, the LS additive is not needed. The Camaro uses a clutch type LS diff = needs the LS lube additive.

If you chose another brand of gear lube, read the bottle. If it says - "contains limited slip additive" - then you don't need to add anything.

I used one qt of RP Max Gear 75w90. Says right on the side of the bottle "contains limited slip additive". Done. Changed it two years ago, diff still working perfectly. One qt, not two.

I trust the Amsoil gear lube and their additive will also work perfect.

Whether or not you have to add the LS stuff just depends how the gear lube was packaged. Some companies prefer to have a synthetic gear lube without the LS additive, so it can be used in non LS applications like a locker. Then you just add their additive if you do have LS clutches. Some companies package it already included. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Great explanation.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:23 PM   #16
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Why not just use the GM stuff?
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:21 PM   #17
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Why not just use the GM stuff?
Because you pay grossly over inflated prices buying from the dealer and you get nothing more than a Group III synthetic. You can get Mobil 1 for much less. Or you can get a real synthetic like a Group IV or Group V which will be superior in all aspects and it will cost you less also.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:45 PM   #18
CruznSS

Drives: 2SS/RS Camaro ABM - Silver Ralleys
Used RP (royal purple) for mine with no issues.

CRUZN-SS VIA tapatalk
Old 02-01-2012, 06:16 AM   #19
clg_98ta

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruznSS View Post
Used RP (royal purple) for mine with no issues.

Same here... 1 quart of RP, didn't quite take the whole quart. Diff is quiet and I did not add any slip additive.

clg_98ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
I use Royal Purple in both diff and trans. Use RP's MaxGear 75w90 for the diff, and Synchromax in the trans if you have the manual trans... yes I know it's an automatic fluid but that's what GM says you use in the Camaro's manual trans. You'll notice the reduction in noise too. Good stuff!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #21
MIKnam67
MIC

Drives: 2012 SSRS 6sp man Blk
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@AMSOIL View Post
That is not true,, just because bottle says no need to add friction mod you don't have to add,,, you may need the friction mod all gifts don't react the same,, in theory they should
Royal Purple says you DO NOT add friction modifier or anything else to the Royal Purple Max Gear for Limited slip Diffs in our Camaro's. It is built in with their product. If you have a question call them'

I sent email to RP Tech Dept Here is reply;
2010-2012 SS Camaro
Auto Trans - RP Max ATF Part # 01320
Manual 6sp Trans. - RP Synchromax Part # 01512
DIFFERENTIAL - RP Max Gear 75W-90 part #01300 NO ADITIONAL limited slip friction modifier needed
PER ROYAL PURPLE TECH DEPT.

Last edited by MIKnam67; 02-03-2012 at 10:58 AM.
MIKnam67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #22
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy@AMSOIL View Post
Get 2 qts of severe gear 75w90 with 1 tube of friction mod additive all shipped for 38.98
And call it a day
Andy, are you stating that the amsoil needs ls additive or do I try it without the ls additive and see what happens. If it chatters, add some. The reason I'm asking is bc you posted on another thread http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...29#post4370229 , post #9, that severe gear 75w90 contains ls additive. Do I add more? Will more/too much diminish the locking ability of the diff? I don't want to take a shot in the dark at it or lay under the car repeatedly until I get the recipe correct. Could some of the 1 wheel burnouts be caused by having too much additive. Yes, I do understand every car is different, but I need to have a good starting point. I'm leaning toward amsoil, familiar with the offroad products, but with members posting all they had to do with royal purple was to dump it in and go, then rp is a viable option. I know I'm confused, but am I really confused?
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #23
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
Yes, I agree that this issue is as clear as mud.

I'm not real big on the "try it and see if it makes noise" approach. The whole purpose of these gear oils with the LS additive already included is for convenience. But with all this guess work the convenience is eliminated. So, why isn't there enough LS additive already in these products so that we don't need to add any more?

I'm guessing that Amsoil, Royal Purple, and others, add just enough LS additive to their products so that it works with most applications. Their ratio isn't necessarily ideal for the Camaro rear end.

I think there are probably alot of people who have added too much and are suffering from one wheel burnouts due to too much slippage. They just don't realize it and maybe don't care either.
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #24
Redemption
Just Because!

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SSRS
I will play devils advocate.... I ran royal purple for 2 weeks. (changed at 1000 mile mark)

I had more groaning, clunking, horrible racket than an old diesel truck pulling an rv.

Switched to mobile 1 with GM additive, not 1 peep since.

My 2 cents.

J

Sent from my payphone using carrier pigeons.
Old 02-06-2012, 03:49 PM   #25
DoubleARS

Drives: 2010 Dodge Challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSSEST View Post
Yes, I agree that this issue is as clear as mud.

I'm not real big on the "try it and see if it makes noise" approach. The whole purpose of these gear oils with the LS additive already included is for convenience. But with all this guess work the convenience is eliminated. So, why isn't there enough LS additive already in these products so that we don't need to add any more?

I'm guessing that Amsoil, Royal Purple, and others, add just enough LS additive to their products so that it works with most applications. Their ratio isn't necessarily ideal for the Camaro rear end.

I think there are probably alot of people who have added too much and are suffering from one wheel burnouts due to too much slippage. They just don't realize it and maybe don't care either.
I too am confused. I just ordered the GM branded oil and modifier from gmpartshouse.com to be done with it.
DoubleARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:37 PM   #26
OBSSEST

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleARS View Post
I too am confused. I just ordered the GM branded oil and modifier from gmpartshouse.com to be done with it.
You don't have the parts numbers for these do you? I just tried to look them up but got lost in their parts catalog, couldn't find fluids listed anywhere.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:42 PM   #27
DoubleARS

Drives: 2010 Dodge Challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBSSEST View Post
You don't have the parts numbers for these do you? I just tried to look them up but got lost in their parts catalog, couldn't find fluids listed anywhere.
Here you go!

Synthetic Axle Lubricant - 89021677
Friction Modifier - 1052358

Right from the owners manual.
DoubleARS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #28
OBSSEST

My dealership sells ACDelco 75 90 synthetic gear oil. Is that the GM stuff?

I checked out my rear diff today anticipating doing this job. I found that my exhaust pipe is too close to the drain plug to get a regular 3/8" socket on there. I have a Solo catback and even after removing the hangers I couldn't move it enough to get my tool on there.

I am going to need to get a low profile breaker or something. I never checked this out with the stock exhaust so I'm not sure how much room there was before.

It seems like every little job requires me to buy some tool I don't have. sheesh