Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #29
jeepguy_1980

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I installed my amp yesterday, using the wiring harness that I made. It works almost as I had hoped it would.

I used the solid blue wire on the PAC harness for my remote amp. My amp behaves as follows:

Ignition off / Radio off: Amp off
Ignition off / Radio on: Amp on
Ignition on / Radio off: Amp on (I don't like this)
Ignition on / Radio on: Amp on

I'm not sure why amp turns on even when the radio is off. You can't hear any noise coming from the speakers, but the LED on the amp turns green. I'm not sure if the factory BA system behaves like this or not.

I also ran my front speaker wire back into the harness as I said I would. Right now, my system needs some serious tuning. My Focals should be here on Tuesday, but for now I'm using the factory speakers powered by my amp. The rear speakers are louder than the front, for mids. The sub is overpowering everything. I also need to get some foam tape to wrap the wires in.

I used a 0dB 1kHZ test tone to set the gain for the front and rear channels and a 0dB 50Hz tone to set the sub (all at 75% of max volume). I used 12.3V for the front and rear channels and set the sub to 33.6V. With the same volume setting I was getting about 7-9V in the trunk on the RCA lines.
jeepguy_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #30
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy_1980 View Post
I'm not sure why amp turns on even when the radio is off. You can't hear any noise coming from the speakers, but the LED on the amp turns green. I'm not sure if the factory BA system behaves like this or not.
Great work. I know that on the ba cars, the amp stays powered on until you open the door or the retained power turns off. It also powers up when you open the doors in order to play the chimes--regardless if the radio is on or not. So that may help explain why it does that.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:14 PM   #31
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
Great work. I know that on the ba cars, the amp stays powered on until you open the door or the retained power turns off. It also powers up when you open the doors in order to play the chimes--regardless if the radio is on or not. So that may help explain why it does that.
That makes sense, and I guess that's a good thing. I'll mark that as one more advantage over tapping into a cigarette lighter.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:51 PM   #32
jeepguy_1980

Pics of my install thus far. I'm still waiting on my speakers to come in, so I can finish this off. As you can see, I'm still sporting the stock speakers. Any suggestions or feedback for improvement are always welcome.

Completed Trunk:

******** amp mount, could be lined up a tad bit better I think:

Naked, my amp kit didn't include enough black wire but it had excess red wire. This will be a quick easy fix:

Audio Integrations Sub box with JL Audio 10w6v2-D4:

Speaker wiring and stock speakers:
Old 04-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #33
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
I figured I would try your method today (using 2 ZISLs), cutting the harness and ditching the huge LOC and all I can say is

The AA-GM44 LOC is genuinely a POS. Using the ZISL I could instantly tell the signal had cleared up significantly. I did have to use 2 pairs of female couplers from the ZISL to my 4-channel RCAs. My sub amp is using the 4 channel pre-outs and the sub now recognizes frequencies that it merely glanced over using the AA-GM44 LOC. Even with the levels turned fully up on the AA-GM44 LOC I had to adjust the gains on the 4-channel amp. With the ZISLs connected, I had to turn the gains back down. The front speakers gain is as low as it can possibly be, while the rear speakers are turned up approximately 1/8.

I wasn't expecting such a drastic change. I don't know how PAC managed to FUBAR this. The harness is great, the LOC is a POS.

On the other hand, using the blue wire on the PAC harness is indeed a remote turn-on. If you look, the blue/white wire is in the PAC harness but has no wire associated with it on the vehicle side. The remote wire has 12v when the radio is on or the vehicle needs to alert you (i.e. leaving the headlight switch in the on position).

With that being said, PAC is exactly what I thought they were...POS. The harness is great, if you modify it. If you plan on using the PAC LOC, prepare to deal with signal quality degradation.

So...
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #34
jeepguy_1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
I figured I would try your method today (using 2 ZISLs), cutting the harness and ditching the huge LOC and all I can say is

The AA-GM44 LOC is genuinely a POS. Using the ZISL I could instantly tell the signal had cleared up significantly. I did have to use 2 pairs of female couplers from the ZISL to my 4-channel RCAs. My sub amp is using the 4 channel pre-outs and the sub now recognizes frequencies that it merely glanced over using the AA-GM44 LOC. Even with the levels turned fully up on the AA-GM44 LOC I had to adjust the gains on the 4-channel amp. With the ZISLs connected, I had to turn the gains back down. The front speakers gain is as low as it can possibly be, while the rear speakers are turned up approximately 1/8.

I wasn't expecting such a drastic change. I don't know how PAC managed to FUBAR this. The harness is great, the LOC is a POS.

On the other hand, using the blue wire on the PAC harness is indeed a remote turn-on. If you look, the blue/white wire is in the PAC harness but has no wire associated with it on the vehicle side. The remote wire has 12v when the radio is on or the vehicle needs to alert you (i.e. leaving the headlight switch in the on position).

With that being said, PAC is exactly what I thought they were...POS. The harness is great, if you modify it. If you plan on using the PAC LOC, prepare to deal with signal quality degradation.

So...
So I was right? (j/k)

I guess it's a good thing I used the blue wire, b/c I'm pretty sure my original intention was to use the blue/white wire. But the blue wire works pretty well.

I too had to use female couplers, which actually caused some problems for me. The couplers were touching and I thought no big deal, it's just the outer portion, which should be ground, but my left rear and left front signals were crossed. It took me an hour of playing with the fader and balance to figure it out.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:07 PM   #35
ecko04

Quote:
So I was right? (j/k)

I guess it's a good thing I used the blue wire, b/c I'm pretty sure my original intention was to use the blue/white wire. But the blue wire works pretty well.

I too had to use female couplers, which actually caused some problems for me. The couplers were touching and I thought no big deal, it's just the outer portion, which should be ground, but my left rear and left front signals were crossed. It took me an hour of playing with the fader and balance to figure it out.
I taped the couplers to solve that little problem. I used Radio Shack couplers since that's all I had access to at the time

I have some Monster couplers on the way that should be here tomorrow so I have the pleasure of ripping it all out and doing it again.

I too had to do the fade and balance "song and dance"

Yes, you were right...
Old 04-10-2012, 09:31 PM   #36
jeepguy_1980

I went with these couplers. Probably not any better than the radio shack ones, but it's one less thing to worry about. I did wind up covering mine with tape to solve my issues.

I also want to add, for anyone else considering this method, that I have zero popping when the amp turns on or off.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #37
ecko04

Quote:
I went with these couplers. Probably not any better than the radio shack ones, but it's one less thing to worry about. I did wind up covering mine with tape to solve my issues.

I also want to add, for anyone else considering this method, that I have zero popping when the amp turns on or off.
Nice couplers. I don't know if they work better than Radio Shack, but they certainly look better. I'll be swapping mine today, if it warms up. I don't get any pop either using the method, however I was already proactive in regards to that.

With any install I do, I use either resistors in parallel or a diode and capacitor to drop the remote from 12v to 6v, to eliminate any pop that may present itself.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:52 AM   #38
jeepguy_1980

When I tested the remote amp wire on the radio with my DMM, I found that it took a good 20 seconds to slowly bleed down to 0V from 12v after shutting off the car/radio.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:41 PM   #39
jeepguy_1980

Got the front doors finished up. The only thing left is the rears, which I might do this weekend.

Speaker Adapters from here:

Crossovers tucked away:

Woofer:
Old 04-16-2012, 08:57 AM   #40
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: Rally Yellow 2012 ZL1
jeepguy_1980, I like your sub enclosure. I've got my amp & JL sub up and running with my BA setup, but I'm looking to find a cleaner looking stealth enclosure... if you don't mind me asking, where'd you pick that up?
Old 04-16-2012, 09:04 AM   #41
jeepguy_1980

I got it from AudioIntegrations

I used coupon code "nasioc" for an extra 15% off.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:17 AM   #42
FNG
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: Rally Yellow 2012 ZL1
Thanks for the quick reply (and discount code!)... I'm bummed that it doesn't come in a 12" version, but I'm willing to buy a new 10" sub if it's going to allow me to keep more of my trunk.

Tags
amp install, non-ba