Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-18-2013, 03:56 AM   #29
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
I for one LOVE your avatar pic. Reminds me of the Chemistry major that helped out during lab. MMMM, the only fond memory I have of chemistry. Might have been why I took it twice. No, I just plain bomb it the first time, haha.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:27 AM   #30
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
An air intake system that helps your car breath easier will make your car more fun.

Unless you do testing of the intakes on the same car, in the same time frame, on the same dyno, with the same conditions, changing nothing on the car other than the intake, I wouldn't trust the numbers. If you use different cars, that changes the data.

With the testing, the commanded AFR should be the same to determine how the unit effects the final AFR. The fuel trims shouldnt factor into the test if they are stable. They shouldnt be plus XX on one test and minus XX on another test. That makes the data not reflect the same conditions for test.

Commanded timing and actual timing should remain close to the same at WOT for the test.

Weather conditions should be the close to the same.

IAT should be the close to the same to determine how much they rise during the run. If you pulling timing because of the IAT table on one test and none on another test, that's going to effect the final numbers.

Phil
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 05:29 AM   #31
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Dang, is this what it looks like when I'm arguing with Axis and Litle?!

As far as intakes are concerned, I could care less what any test says...to a certain degree. Tests can be manipulated. And I definitely disregard any other person's input on any of the major mods. Why? Because time and time again I have seen people merely state that whatever brand they particularly purchased is "the best hands down" while every other brand is total crap. Therefore, from what I have seen and from my experience in dealing with cars, I would recommend any CAI that seals itself off from the engine bay...even with the hood open. Some CAIs are designed to seal off when the hood is shut. They are ok...after all, it's not like you're driving around town with your hood open. But they aren't my cup of tea. Fenderwell CAIs are good because they are totally away from the engine bay. I did not go that route because I do not wanna feel the panic that comes up every time we have a rain storm and I approach a huge puddle.

So for me personally, the choice was between CAI and Vararam. I like CAI because it is sealed off from the engine and there is no way to draw in any water from large puddles...unless your car is submerged. I don't like it tho because it is the typical look with nothing that stands out from the typical crowd on first glance. And the placement of the box doesn't do it for me as far as available outside air. Vararam seems to be able to draw in the coldest possible air especially when the vehicle is moving. The only thing I dislike is that it can possibly draw in heat from the radiator. However, the heat shield that comes with it helps in that department I'm sure. So all said and Done, and I went with Vararam. Money isn't an issue for me, but the $100 cheaper price is always a plus. I even factored in that the Vararam might draw in water from rain or the car wash. But I have not had any issue in rain...and I simply shut the car off in the wash tunnel. So all in all, look over what you want, how much you wanna spend, and what advantages/disadvantages matter or not to you and go from there. Performance-wise, not one of them will benefit you over the other.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:46 AM   #32
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Tuning View Post
An air intake system that helps your car breath easier will make your car more fun.

Unless you do testing of the intakes on the same car, in the same time frame, on the same dyno, with the same conditions, changing nothing on the car other than the intake, I wouldn't trust the numbers. If you use different cars, that changes the data.

With the testing, the commanded AFR should be the same to determine how the unit effects the final AFR. The fuel trims shouldnt factor into the test if they are stable. They shouldnt be plus XX on one test and minus XX on another test. That makes the data not reflect the same conditions for test.

Commanded timing and actual timing should remain close to the same at WOT for the test.

Weather conditions should be the close to the same.

IAT should be the close to the same to determine how much they rise during the run. If you pulling timing because of the IAT table on one test and none on another test, that's going to effect the final numbers.

Phil
Which is EXACTLY what the Jannetty test was. Same car, same day, baseline run, nothing changed but temp throughout the day and the intakes. Best of 3 runs after all temps were brought up to normal operating temp. Ambient, IAT, knock, AFR, and a few other data points were recorded. Oh, it was streamed live for all to watch.

As I've said numerous times, it's not the end all/be all of CAI tests but it's the best we have to date.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 05-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #33
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarojt View Post
My intake made my tires grip and my headlights brighter!! LOL
Lol I missed this! Aaaand it will increase your octane rating too in some apps lol
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #34
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Dang, is this what it looks like when I'm arguing with Axis and Litle?!

So for me personally, the choice was between CAI and Vararam. I like CAI because it is sealed off from the engine and there is no way to draw in any water from large puddles...unless your car is submerged. I don't like it tho because it is the typical look with nothing that stands out from the typical crowd on first glance. And the placement of the box doesn't do it for me as far as available outside air. Vararam seems to be able to draw in the coldest possible air especially when the vehicle is moving. The only thing I dislike is that it can possibly draw in heat from the radiator. However, the heat shield that comes with it helps in that department I'm sure. So all said and Done, and I went with Vararam. Money isn't an issue for me, but the $100 cheaper price is always a plus. I even factored in that the Vararam might draw in water from rain or the car wash. But I have not had any issue in rain...and I simply shut the car off in the wash tunnel. So all in all, look over what you want, how much you wanna spend, and what advantages/disadvantages matter or not to you and go from there. Performance-wise, not one of them will benefit you over the other.

Yea but your more fun, but you have a vararam now and I like you this [] much more LMBO!!! But if you repeat it I swear I'll deny it !
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #35
Muddflap

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by richyrich77 View Post
What cold air intake should I put on my stock '12 ss L99? Not sure what brand. Which one worked for you?
I went with the ADM Race Cold Air. One of my reasons that helped in my decision was its seems as if most people are adding ADM's race scoop to their existing cold air to maximize performance so I figured why not buy the CAI that it was designed for? To me its a win win but that's just my opinion.
Muddflap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #36
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
Yea but your more fun, but you have a vararam now and I like you this [] much more LMBO!!! But if you repeat it I swear I'll deny it !
You just lost SEVERAL Ninja points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddflap View Post
I went with the ADM Race Cold Air. One of my reasons that helped in my decision was its seems as if most people are adding ADM's race scoop to their existing cold air to maximize performance so I figured why not buy the CAI that it was designed for? To me its a win win but that's just my opinion.
ADM was the first to come up with the scoop but it works the same way with any CAI that's in the OEM location and has a open bottom. That means all of them except the OTR's and Airaid.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 05-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #37
coreyaustin17
NEC5 C-HOLE CHAMP

Drives: 2013 camaro 2SS/RS 1LE 1 of 221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddflap View Post
im also going with the adm scoop and cai there taking the k&n off my hands so why not i said