Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-20-2014, 12:27 PM   #29
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
When I put mine on I felt like I got better throttle response. Was it day and night...No....but I felt like it was better than before. HP gains....maybe but you're probably not going to really feel 5 hp in the butt dyno.

Would I buy it again....definitely. For the money I felt it was worth it. Now, if you're needing the money for other mods like maybe cradle bushings or something that you will feel day and night difference then you might spend the money there first but eventually I would say pull the trigger and get one.

Here is the visual difference between stock and VMax. You can see how it's smoothed out with swirls and some of the metal has been removed to make for better flow. BTW, this was a used one.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 02:59 PM   #30
djcfuzz
Do somethin fun every day

Drives: 2012 45th V6 RS M6
^ great pics, as displayed there is a difference in opening, this is a no brainer for the LFX, just do it and move on, albeit a little smoother.
djcfuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #31
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Drives: 2021 ZL1 1LE A10
new or used..hmmmmmm I say used is kool.

[QUOTE=Blu Ray;7436226]Shopping around,

JDP offers a "New" and "Used" PTB there the only site out there with this option. The "NEW" PTB also comes with a $$$ premimum charge.

My question is when I order from other Vendors that do not offer "NEW vs USED" are they really NEW PTB or Refurbished Cores other customers returned.

I was tripping on the old and new thing rhis week when I ordered mine.most people pay 150 shipped. .so most people getting used.. jdp just happens to be straight up and tell u the real deal. .and disconnecting don't do nothing..u just disconnect the one power source that hooks to the tb. A plug in.
Old 02-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #32
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
you should disconnect the battery when unplugging sensors, its in the directions for a reason. plus by disconnecting the battery the computer will adjust to the new part quicker instead of car running like crap for a while till it adjusts.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 07:56 PM   #33
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu Ray View Post

My question is when I order from other Vendors that do not offer "NEW vs USED" are they really NEW PTB or Refurbished Cores other customers returned.

Is there a benefit of having a New vs Used
At Apex Motorsports we have both options available. I'm not sure if they are both available on the website or not, because I have not checked.

The benefit of having a new core boils down to two things in my eyes;
1. If you order a new core you can keep your stock TB. Should you decide to get rid of your car you can pull it and sell it to someone.
2. You don't have to hassle with sending your core back.

Those are pretty small advantages, if you can even see them as advantages. I can say that every core that we have returned goes through a thorough inspection of the case, blade, electrical connections, etc. If they do not meet the quality standard we send them back. Most come to us in good condition, and those that do not are almost 100% due to not being packaged correctly (or with any packing at all!) when returned.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 07:22 AM   #34
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
At Apex Motorsports we have both options available. I'm not sure if they are both available on the website or not, because I have not checked.

The benefit of having a new core boils down to two things in my eyes;
1. If you order a new core you can keep your stock TB. Should you decide to get rid of your car you can pull it and sell it to someone.
2. You don't have to hassle with sending your core back.

Those are pretty small advantages, if you can even see them as advantages. I can say that every core that we have returned goes through a thorough inspection of the case, blade, electrical connections, etc. If they do not meet the quality standard we send them back. Most come to us in good condition, and those that do not are almost 100% due to not being packaged correctly (or with any packing at all!) when returned.
Well put apex well put..
Old 02-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #35
KILLA BEE
Black lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmginc View Post
you should disconnect the battery when unplugging sensors, its in the directions for a reason. plus by disconnecting the battery the computer will adjust to the new part quicker instead of car running like crap for a while till it adjusts.
Ok. Kool...on the dyi vids they didn't do the battery thingy so I figured didn't have to. good info dog.

Last edited by KILLA BEE; 02-21-2014 at 07:30 AM. Reason: wording
KILLA BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:14 AM   #36
DieselAries1

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
What is the dead spot people mention? Is that the time from pressing down on the pedal to the time it take for the car to accelerate?
DieselAries1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:03 AM   #37
Zig Zag

Drives: 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAries1 View Post
What is the dead spot people mention? Is that the time from pressing down on the pedal to the time it take for the car to accelerate?
I was wondering about this as well.
I haven't reached 1,500 mi. yet so I haven't really opened it up yet.
Where is the dead spot?
Zig Zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 09:22 AM   #38
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zig Zag View Post
I was wondering about this as well.
I haven't reached 1,500 mi. yet so I haven't really opened it up yet.
Where is the dead spot?
Some call it a dead spot, in the old days with Carbs we would call it a flat spot. As you are giving it gas while accelerating, you may notice at one point it seems to level off for a second then pick back up. I noticed it right off on mine, it seemed sluggish also from accelerating from a stop. The ported VMax Throttlebody eliminated this effect.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #39
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
Absolutely! VMax claims 12-16 RWHP gain without a tune - more with. Got mine through Apex Motorsports. Core charge deposit posted to my account 5 days after I sent the stock TB back. Super service. Super product. Well worth the $150.
Yep. Same for me. I think I fell in love with her again.
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #40
SSGUNNER
Chu no guat a hasa is?

Drives: 14 Jeep G Cherokee Overland HEMI
Also I noticed talk about new or used. To be honest there doesn't seem to be a reason why a used one will be less beneficial than a new one. Let's be honest nothing but ur intake or stock intake connects to it. So there really shouldn't be any damage done. When people send in their core I assume once the cnc is done they clean the tb before or maybe after they port. Mine vmax was very clean, can't tell u if it was new or used but the difference is there. More gurgling, seems she idles more
11 2SS/RSL99No Longer Stock (Sold) 6/19/14:AAC Plasma DRL's | Plug n play harness | Elite CC | Tint: 35% & 5% | LED Dome light | Show-N-Go Plate Holder | Flowmaster AT | C.A.I. Intake | VMAX CNC Spiral Ported TB | Husky Splash Guards
SSGUNNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #41
Zig Zag

Drives: 2014 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angrybird 12 View Post
Some call it a dead spot, in the old days with Carbs we would call it a flat spot. As you are giving it gas while accelerating, you may notice at one point it seems to level off for a second then pick back up. I noticed it right off on mine, it seemed sluggish also from accelerating from a stop. The ported VMax Throttlebody eliminated this effect.
Thanks for the reply.
At what RPM does the dead spot occur?
I have not experienced this yet, my motor pulls strong till I let up on it.
But then again I have not gone WOT in sport mode (Auto trans) yet either...
Zig Zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 02:16 PM   #42
Rhyno81

Drives: Summit White 2012 2SS RS M6
Best and easiest 150 upgrade there is. Even the most unhandy person should be able to do it. As far as hard #s at the rear wheels I couldn't tell you. But I felt it was more responsive on the low end, starting off from starts etc. You wont light the street on fire but you will notice
-TSP 1 7/8" long tubes with high flow cats
-Muffler Delete
-Matte Black Powdercoated 20"SS Wheels (General GMax Tires)
-BMR Strut Brace
-ZL1 Swapped front end

Rhyno81 is offline   Reply With Quote