Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #43
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS 1LE
Love the dialogue

Good dialogue guys, love it, not rating you just saying. Respect for other well engineered products, from BMW's to all the good ones out there. One of the reason the the 5th generation Camaro, the sixth generation Vette and now the C7 are awesome is because GM has listened and have made it a business goal to produce these awesome cars.

I know the thing that sold me on the 1LE is I can finally have an awesome handling car that I can leave as is or upgrade it to alot more power fairly easily without spending all the money on the Vette or an M5.

'Dilinger' the reason I mentioned professional installation of the 3M clear vinyl guard is that I've seen it messed up. What a mess.

My question to you guys is as follows: Do you think that there is a car out there 'currently' that looks as good as Camaro, can handle like the Camaro, 1LE, ZL1 etc. and can be upgraded as cheaply for power as the Camaro at the Camaro's price point.

Is there a better potential 'Ultimate Driving Machine' available and why?

Please only succinct factsthat will enhance all our knowledge. Only respectful dialogue and only agree to disagree kind of friendly banter.

Jim
Jims Mongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:26 AM   #44
Dillinger1LE

Drives: 2014 SW 2SS 1LE
No Jim your right I was joking but I do work with this guys that's a pro detailer on the weeks he tells me he's been detailing for a good ten years. For 125 he said he's do the inside/outside, wheel wells etc and add that 3m coat if I'd like.... What do you Jim, I mean I looked up other detailers in north jersey and they were charging 150
Dillinger1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #45
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jims Mongoose View Post
Good dialogue guys, love it, not rating you just saying. Respect for other well engineered products, from BMW's to all the good ones out there. One of the reason the the 5th generation Camaro, the sixth generation Vette and now the C7 are awesome is because GM has listened and have made it a business goal to produce these awesome cars.

I know the thing that sold me on the 1LE is I can finally have an awesome handling car that I can leave as is or upgrade it to alot more power fairly easily without spending all the money on the Vette or an M5.

'Dilinger' the reason I mentioned professional installation of the 3M clear vinyl guard is that I've seen it messed up. What a mess.

My question to you guys is as follows: Do you think that there is a car out there 'currently' that looks as good as Camaro, can handle like the Camaro, 1LE, ZL1 etc. and can be upgraded as cheaply for power as the Camaro at the Camaro's price point.

Is there a better potential 'Ultimate Driving Machine' available and why?

Please only succinct factsthat will enhance all our knowledge. Only respectful dialogue and only agree to disagree kind of friendly banter.

Jim
not sure there is a car that has more for the amount the ZL1 costs. Big Bang for the buck with the ZL1.
URBAN LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #46
flyinlow

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1
Its tough to beat Chevy when it comes to bang for the buck. Look at the Corvette, for the last 20 years its been hard to touch a 2 seat sports car that gives you that kind of performance and handling for what you spend. Even the ZR1, a supercar that can compete with the best that Lamborghini and Ferrari have to offer, for a fraction of the price.

Chevrolet has always been a value brand, going back almost 100 years, and will always be the value brand in the GM family. Sure, its not as sophisticated as some of the European brands, but that's ok, it also costs alot less.
flyinlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:00 PM   #47
Jims Mongoose
Jim

About right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger1LE View Post
No Jim your right I was joking but I do work with this guys that's a pro detailer on the weeks he tells me he's been detailing for a good ten years. For 125 he said he's do the inside/outside, wheel wells etc and add that 3m coat if I'd like.... What do you Jim, I mean I looked up other detailers in north jersey and they were charging 150

I was charged $150 for the area behind the gills and just under it for my V6 when I had that. It is in the ballpark.

I have a guy here that comes to the house, I may call him for an appointment for next week. God, $150 for that, then the catch can, then the CAI. Oyy and these changes are just the tip of the Camaro 'Modberg'.

I'm feeling it after losing all that money trading in my 4 month old 2LTRS.

Jim
Old 07-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #48
Jims Mongoose
Jim

totally agree, but

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinlow View Post
Its tough to beat Chevy when it comes to bang for the buck. Look at the Corvette, for the last 20 years its been hard to touch a 2 seat sports car that gives you that kind of performance and handling for what you spend. Even the ZR1, a supercar that can compete with the best that Lamborghini and Ferrari have to offer, for a fraction of the price.

Chevrolet has always been a value brand, going back almost 100 years, and will always be the value brand in the GM family. Sure, its not as sophisticated as some of the European brands, but that's ok, it also costs alot less.

Yes, that's how I feel, and you are spot on with all your examples. I was wondering if others felt differently and specifically why.

Jim
Old 07-24-2013, 12:49 PM   #49
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
i went with a Cold Air Inductions because they test their Intake with a closed hood with gains of +16 wrhp 2-4 mph... and let me just add that it was alittle of tight fit but still easy to put on..... the Elite catch can was also easy but the instructions were piss poor to follow i was better googling how other people put theirs on
OP for your next mod you could pick up even more rwhp if you relocate your washer bottle and get the scoop. There is a little cutting involved, but it is where you will never see it. Better sound and cheap.

I owned a twin turbo N54 BMW 335i Sport M6 and while not the top of the BMW performance heap, it was very good. But both my previous modded SS and the 1Le would embarrass it on a track. And it cost more than either of the Chevys. To add to this the 1LE has a silky quality the older SS lacked. Is it the improved damping? The 1LE is very BMW like with more attitude. Still not knocking the 335i, it is a great car.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #50
Dillinger1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
OP for your next mod you could pick up even more rwhp if you relocate your washer bottle and get the scoop. There is a little cutting involved, but it is where you will never see it. Better sound and cheap.

I owned a twin turbo N54 BMW 335i Sport M6 and while not the top of the BMW performance heap, it was very good. But both my previous modded SS and the 1Le would embarrass it on a track. And it cost more than either of the Chevys. To add to this the 1LE has a silky quality the older SS lacked. Is it the improved damping? The 1LE is very BMW like with more attitude. Still not knocking the 335i, it is a great car.

BWM's are nice but thats more of my fathers style, from cars to bikes he's he BMW guy.... and the scoop i did want to install it but i got alittle nervous with the cutting part
Old 07-24-2013, 08:02 PM   #51
Dillinger1LE

JIM... its about 8:49 here and i just got done putting on a coat of Mothers cleaner wax, its great anything from bugs to just black dirt is all gone and the paint looks great.... Mother cleaner wax might be my new best friend.... saturdays i plan on getting on some detailer spray on her

i also have to two other questions for you or anyone that would like to chime in

1. do you always drive with the traction control on or do you turn everything off from time to time...... me, im yet to turn it off

2. there's have been talk about the 1LE being HOT tuned from the factory and those that are dyno tested are showing rwhp around 390-402... what do you think
Old 07-25-2013, 02:18 AM   #52
Jims Mongoose
Jim

Here are my opinions

Quote:
JIM... its about 8:49 here and i just got done putting on a coat of Mothers cleaner wax, its great anything from bugs to just black dirt is all gone and the paint looks great.... Mother cleaner wax might be my new best friend.... saturdays i plan on getting on some detailer spray on her

i also have to two other questions for you or anyone that would like to chime in

1. do you always drive with the traction control on or do you turn everything off from time to time...... me, im yet to turn it off

2. there's have been talk about the 1LE being HOT tuned from the factory and those that are dyno tested are showing rwhp around 390-402... what do you think

First off when it comes to detailing there are alot of threads and specifically a whole area that deals with just that. When you read all that and whatever else is on the net you can become a bit confused. Also, I have a black car, different animal then your white beauty.

What I believe to be true however is that whether you can see the scratches and other blemishes easier on a black car, whatever hurts black hurts white or any other color.
So after all that. I thing the new high tech polymer sealers(I had mine done by the dealer) but many people on here can point you to do it yourself products. with that on car the whole deal becomes easier, I find that my tough to keep black car can now be waxed with the liquid turtle wax, often and looks fabulous. Also with that hard polymer coat on it you can dust if with a 'California Duster'(fine light dust only) and not scratch car.
Not saying that you never have to use a cleaner wax or polish, but not often. At that point(my dealer does it for me, he clays it, polymer coats it and applies a liquid wax) he will do it every six months and in between I just wash and use detailer and liquid wax.

First question about traction control and such. I only turn off traction control, they say that you can get more power to the wheels for lets say a non street drag race. Traction control is on in the rain. I never go into competive mode, I'm not at the track and don't need to drift the ass end. It corners like a monster on public roads anyway and anything beyond that and your endangering everyone. My opinion. We have a track out here where Bondurant lets you use their track, then all bets are off. I have not used it yet, but I will.

On the second question, I've been part of and started a few threads about the 1Le and the way it feels. I don't have the credential of many of the people on this forum. Nor do i have the Dyno or drag race experience.
What i can tell you is that I test drove several SS cars, non 1LE manuals before the 1LE. In every case the 1LE felt alot more responsive and powerful. I don't believe its the slightly taller overall first gear ratio, because it felt the same way in second gear where the SS overall ratio is slightly higher. I also have seen threads where the 1LE dynoed better. Were they apples to apples, don't know. Seat of the pants I believed it then and now.

The 1LE seems to have a better tip to throttle response, less lag.Look at this thread. Some good info, some bantering, great posts from many people and Norm on throttle response and Comrando about ratios

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=293474

Let the other comments begin.

Jim
Old 07-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #53
Dillinger1LE

The reason I ask for the traction control is because my father finds it weird I have not turned it off he tells me ill wear out the breaks faster by have this on all the time or at least that's what he says happened when this system first came out... My answer was dad I'm sure these systems have come along way since than

And I found my first rock knick on the front bumper, you could only see it if you were looking for it but it was still sad to see it. Black or white they are hell to keep clean, I can see myself every Saturday waxing her or something lol
Old 07-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #54
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
The reason I ask for the traction control is because my father finds it weird I have not turned it off he tells me ill wear out the breaks faster by have this on all the time or at least that's what he says happened when this system first came out... My answer was dad I'm sure these systems have come along way since than

And I found my first rock knick on the front bumper, you could only see it if you were looking for it but it was still sad to see it. Black or white they are hell to keep clean, I can see myself every Saturday waxing her or something lol
Tell Dad the breaks are way cheaper than the tires......
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #55
Dillinger1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Tell Dad the breaks are way cheaper than the tires......

haha you got it