Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 08-19-2008, 01:03 PM   #1
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
front licence plate exception in Ontario?

this is a question for the Ontarians on the board. I'm going to be moving to Ontario in the next few months. I'm from Quebec where we don't have front licence plates. To be honest, I hate the way the front plate looks. So is there anyway to get away with not putting the front plate on the car in Ontario?

Also, what do you guys figure insurance will set me back on a bran new 6.2l Camaro when it comes out next year? I know insurance rates are much higher in Ontario...I'm currently paying about $700 for full coverage on my 2005 Dodge Magnum in Quebec and I've been told it would cost me above $2000 a year in Ontario for the same vehicle, even with a clean driving record.
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
SSmoked

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1 #1255
imo i see alot of people running no front plate in my area. i too hate the look of a front plate on my car but i just live with it u could always take it off and leave it on ur dashboard, and if a cop ask just say that when u bought the car it never came with a liscense plate mount and ur waiting on the dealer to get it instock lol. iv gotten away with it twice hehehe, but now i just leave my plate on in the front cause i don want to run in the same cop .
Old 08-21-2008, 04:20 AM   #3
The Project
Don't Mess with the Zohan

Drives: 89 IROC
FYI...You need a front plate on the car or you will be ticketed. It is the law that a front plate is required.
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
The Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:06 AM   #4
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
this is a question for the Ontarians on the board. I'm going to be moving to Ontario in the next few months. I'm from Quebec where we don't have front licence plates. To be honest, I hate the way the front plate looks. So is there anyway to get away with not putting the front plate on the car in Ontario?

Also, what do you guys figure insurance will set me back on a bran new 6.2l Camaro when it comes out next year? I know insurance rates are much higher in Ontario...I'm currently paying about $700 for full coverage on my 2005 Dodge Magnum in Quebec and I've been told it would cost me above $2000 a year in Ontario for the same vehicle, even with a clean driving record.
My parents have an imported 2008 Saturn Aura, it doesn't have a front plate mounted yet. They keep the plate on the dash, and nobody told them they need to mount it -even at the safety inspection to make sure it complied with the current laws. Could have only been looking for federal items instead of provincial ones though.

As for insurance, try an online quote.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:50 PM   #5
tfb

Drives: 2010 Camaro on order
Anyone know how much the fine is in Ontario for no front plate?
tfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #6
The Project

I believe it is $90.00
"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you."
Old 12-17-2008, 02:39 PM   #7
tfb

Drives: 2010 Camaro on order
I guess they put the front licence plate bracket on at the factory for cars destined to Ontario. I'm wondering how many holes they drill to mount it and how noticeable they would be if I removed the bracket? Anyone done this with any other Chev's?

Maybe I could change my order to delete the front bracket at the factory?
tfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:50 PM   #8
The Project

On my 89 there were three holes in the front grille. I ended buying a new grille (no holes) from "Hawks" and also buying a hideaway license plate bracket.

http://www.autoattire.com/stngofrho.html
Old 01-24-2009, 01:00 AM   #9
TJ91
:chevy:

Drives: 2LT/RS
I hope i can have it deleted, hate the front plate.
As for insurance, it will be alot more. 615 a month for me 2LT/RS but im 18, cuts n half at 21, so for you, i would guess around 230 a month or soo, maybe less, maybe more.
TJ91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 07:46 AM   #10
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
The fine is $105... at least that's what my last one was for 2 years ago! I drove my SS for the first 6 years I had it in and around Toronto without a front plate and never got pulled over.
Things definitely changed around then, as I got pulled over and ticketed 3 times within the next 2 years, twice by York Region police and once by a Durham cop. I never was stopped in Toronto and I live in the city proper. I actually got 1 of the tickets when I had my plate screwed to the front air dam! The ticket was for an "obstructed view" of the plate. The HTA says it must be affixed closest to the "front" of the car, without an obstructed view.
The good news is that I fought all 3 tickets and beat them!

As an aside, the cops have access on their computers to the information that you had previously been ticketed - even if you managed to have the ticket thrown out. The last time I was pulled over, it was for having the plate on the air dam. When the cop asked why it was there, I told him that someone had backed into me in a parking lot, broke the front bracket and the replacement part was on back order. After checking out my record, he came back to the car and said that he was giving me a ticket, since he saw I'd been charged for the same thing the previous year and he had trouble with the idea that the part was on back order for that length of time!
He didn't buy it when I told him the car was out of production and getting parts was hard.
I ended up getting the SLP front bracket which I can take off in about 30 sec. by undoing the 2 screws under the front fascia.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 03-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
CDN SS
Steve from Canada.

Drives: 2010 SW SS/RS with Inferno package.
I have a friend who is from Nova Scotia and lived in Ontario for yrs without registering his car here...............do the same.
CDN SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE
front plate! suckers! alberta is amazing, no PST and no front plates!

2LT RS auto w/tapshift in victory red
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:47 PM   #13
Gibb

Drives: 1967 rs/ss 396 4speed
My buddy has a 2004 Dale Jr. Monte Carlo with no front plate. I have two 67 Camaros with no front plate. Plates look like S--t. And yes they are required. Take your chances. I would just tell them when you get stopped that you are wating for the plate hanger
Gibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:53 PM   #14
Camaro Insider

Drives: chevy..what else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfb View Post
I guess they put the front licence plate bracket on at the factory for cars destined to Ontario. I'm wondering how many holes they drill to mount it and how noticeable they would be if I removed the bracket? Anyone done this with any other Chev's?

Maybe I could change my order to delete the front bracket at the factory?
AS FAR AS I KNOW THERE IS A FRONT PLATE MOUNT IN YOUR DEALER BAG THAT COMES WITH YOUR CAR IN THE TRUNK TO BE INSTALLED BY YOUR DEALER IF IT IS REQUIRED BY LAW WERE YOU LIVE. I DON'T KNOW IF ANY HOLES NEED TO BE DRILLED OR IF IT IS HELD ON BY A DIFFERENT MEANS, BUT I WILL CHECK INTO THAT FOR YOU
Camaro Insider is offline   Reply With Quote